Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Insurance and Finance (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/insurance-finance-198/)
-   -   Geico Insurance - Why? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/insurance-finance/325141-geico-insurance-why.html)

Keith Atlanta 04-14-2015 11:26 PM

Geico Insurance - Why?

Geico Insurance was at the Miami and Palm Beach boat show. They have some really nice girls that climb all over you to "put your info in" so, now they send me emails all the time. My insurance is expiring with my current provider so I tried Geico.

I have a relatively mid performance boat and they wont insure me. I just find it comical that they email me, now they are calling me and they insist they can insure me. But now that I have entered my info once online and second thru an agent.... They still wont insure me.

They have Miss Geico though... She is 4000 horsepower and goes 200mph. But they wont insure me.

mummaiv 04-15-2015 05:30 AM

Maybe they thought you were a pontoon guy...

Just purchased insurance for my first mid performance boat and was surprised at the companies that would not write it. For now I am with Progressive with stated coverage and had to answer several HP and speed related questions.

HyFive578 04-15-2015 06:08 AM

I have GEICO for my cars, house, umbrella, everything.... they still wouldn't insure my boat..

Try Stacy at WakeZone... she's great..

4bus 04-15-2015 08:23 AM

On the flip side, most boaters have cars, trucks, homes and such. Not the first time a sponsor from an industry not related to ours spends time and money supporting the sport.

The Geico commercial with the "money guy" driving the 29 fountain tho.....they don't insure that boat lol.

I use total dollar (Sy) and am very happy.

thirdchildhood 04-15-2015 08:37 AM

I avoid direct insurance companies like Geico and Progressive. Who do you think pays for all that advertising? My insurance agent does a great job searching out the best insurance deals for me and the rates are way better.

Padraig 04-15-2015 08:53 AM

Another vote for Stacey at Wakezone.

Padraig

imartin 04-15-2015 01:09 PM

since others are pitching for their person, I will start the rally for Devin and his team at Wozencraft. if you search this thread, you will find other postings for in the affirmative for Wozencraft. Devin is an avid boater himself and understands the show.....

Keith Atlanta 04-15-2015 01:16 PM

I am not really looking for an insurance company. Just poking fun at Geico.

MichiMike 04-15-2015 04:28 PM

Advertising dollars equal not paying claims.

dereknkathy 04-15-2015 04:34 PM

didn't miss geico burn to the waterline? i wonder which insurance company paid geico for that claim...

WakezoneINS 04-17-2015 08:26 PM

KeithAtlanta, I have always wondered the EXACT same thing! I've always been somewhat amuzed by their whole involvement in the marine insurance industry... They advertise with raceboats but don't insure anything over 65mph and then when they do insure something, it isn't actually insurance with GEICO. It's their in house agents brokering out the coverage to Seaworthy Insurance.... or similar. So odd to me....

abones 04-17-2015 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by MichiMike (Post 4292589)
Advertising dollars equal not paying claims.

I wonder what Geico's annual advertising budget is? look into it, it will blow you away!

h20funk 09-08-2015 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by WakezoneINS (Post 4293514)
KeithAtlanta, I have always wondered the EXACT same thing! I've always been somewhat amuzed by their whole involvement in the marine insurance industry... They advertise with raceboats but don't insure anything over 65mph and then when they do insure something, it isn't actually insurance with GEICO. It's their in house agents brokering out the coverage to Seaworthy Insurance.... or similar. So odd to me....

I had GEICO place my insurance with Foremost at some point. How is that possible??? Aren't they competitors?

87MagnumII 09-28-2015 06:55 PM

I just switched my three boats from progressive to geico. Exact same coverages went from $1400 a year to $799 a year. And no, I didn't skimp on the liability limits.

glassdave 09-28-2015 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood (Post 4292422)
I avoid direct insurance companies like Geico and Progressive. Who do you think pays for all that advertising? My insurance agent does a great job searching out the best insurance deals for me and the rates are way better.

that was my final assesment, after looking into it further I went elsewhere and got a better policy.

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII (Post 4359930)
I just switched my three boats from progressive to geico. Exact same coverages went from $1400 a year to $799 a year. And no, I didn't skimp on the liability limits.

I got the exact opposite of that. I had everything with Geico, home and vehicles (not boat though) faithfully for the last ten years. After it continually going up and up without ever having a single claim in my life I shopped around and got a better policy for nearly half of what I was paying plus I was able to move my biz and boat insurance into the same ins company as well.

Mseuro 09-28-2015 10:36 PM

I went through Geico and they put me with Seaworthy, my premium was half of what everyone else was charging and I got the full deal meal. I used them one time for a tow bill and they where very fast in paying it. I also called them to let them know that I hit something in the channel and was operating on one drive, they followed up with me and were very nice and helpful (turned out I spun a hub). To this day I would recommend them. FYI my premium went down almost 400,00 from last year.

Tractionless 09-29-2015 06:43 AM

Always shop insurance, companies don't reward you for being loyal and other companies are always giving discounts to get new business. This applies to home, boat, car etc.

I'm with Allstate for full loss coverage, wind damage (storm), trailer, towing (water), etc. in S. Fla. for $645/yr. no one else could touch that price including Wakezone $1,600. I'm sure they're great for much wilder boats but not on the milder craft.

sy goldberg 09-29-2015 07:51 AM

I think that you should get something in writing from Allstate underwriting,not from the agent letting you know that they are aware that this boat is a high performance boat capable of speeds of 65 mph. I ran into this many times when somebody mixed up BAJA with BAHA.. I would not want to have a claim denied because someone made a mistake or misrepresented your boat.

Jupiter Sunsation 09-30-2015 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by dereknkathy (Post 4292594)
didn't miss geico burn to the waterline? i wonder which insurance company paid geico for that claim...

Race boats aren't insured once they are out on the water......Geico is also a sponsor but they don't actually own the boat.

CPM 10-01-2015 03:33 PM

Geico would not insure my Cigarette, I went with Foremost at 1400.00 a year I would like to shop it better next season seems high.