Insurance question What a mess. Please help >

Insurance question What a mess. Please help

Notices

Insurance question What a mess. Please help

Old 10-07-2018, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance question What a mess. Please help

Hello to all. I have a question about damage to my boat. Never been in a situation like this and need some ideas of where to start. I know have heard the worst sound in the world. A set of semi duallies and the hub still bolted to the wheel coming off a semi trailer and hitting your boat parked in your yard at 130am 3 foot from your bedroom. After finding the truck latter, he didn't stop which had me sick till daylight because I thought I was going to eat the bill. Havent spoke to insurance yet will tomorrow but would like some opinions from other boat guys I consider the boat totaled. It lifted the whole top cap off and cracked the hull from top at windshield all the way down side and to center of hull. And also cracks run horizontal for 8ft that u can see. I'm afraid of the cracks that can't be seen. Looks like a bomb hit the interior and engine hatch. Iv never dealt with a boat insurance claim. I'm preparing for a adjuster to pull up and say well it can be fixed we will give u this much. Or say it is totaled and want to give me book value. I just went thru the drives and installed new engines this year.​​​​​​. Tried to load pics but I don't have 10 posts yet so. The boat is a 1998 baha mach 1 290 with twin 315 volvo sx drives. If anyone is interested I will gladly email pics to see this craziness.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

No insurance company is going to put that much into a 20 year old boat...its totaled. So the challange is going to be to get them to pay you what you think the boat is worth vs what they think its worth.,
Old 10-07-2018, 08:46 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

It sounds totaled based on your description. If you really put alot of money in the engines/drives you might be inclined to buy it back from the insurance company and swap the hardware into another hull.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:46 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
No insurance company is going to put that much into a 20 year old boat...its totaled. So the challange is going to be to get them to pay you what you think the boat is worth vs what they think its worth.,
Yep
Old 10-07-2018, 09:34 PM
Registered

Default 🖒

Thank you for the responses. I'm guessing they go by blue book. Or selling prices idk. The boat was in awesome shape came off lake Lanier 1 owner with 250hrs. Garage kept I know that sounds like a song but was and still is in great shape minus the 2 skid marks on the side and where 900lbs of tires and wheels went thru it at 70 miles a hour. I bought it right because the risers were never changed and overheated 1 engine. I bought it last year and had both rebuilt and replaced all the hoses and risers and went thru the outdrives I did it all myself labor wise but was still 6500 in rebuilds and parts small stuff. She was just sitting in my yard minding her own business. Also the damage to my 2 house the wall idk might be 2000 or 10 idk till I get that quote the bricks cracked and the whole wall moves back and forth and knocked the windows in a inch from the sill plates. My rental house just has small shingle roof damage on a corner. I'm praying they show up are reasonable about the boat and I'll have quotes to fix the 2 houses. Thanks again for the responses y'all can imagine my state from 130am till 7am when they found the truck parked and did a crash report for me.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:47 PM
Registered

Default Pictures of damage

I uploaded pictures to my profile.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:00 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It is the trucks insurance that is going to pay. But look at your insurance. What are you insured for. Is it actual cash value or is it an agreed upon value.
if it is acv then it is current sales/blue book.

Boats can be hard to price due to low volume. You need to come up with sales of similar boats that ha d sold. Maybe talk to a few brokers and ask for a written price opinion.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:00 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a small fire due to a header losing water, could of easily been fixed, insurance gave me a choice to total or fix. I chose total . I don't think they care how they get it when totalled. I stripped the outdrives, props, prochargers off motors, and the headers. Never heard a word about it. They didn't even want my brand new tri axel aluminum trailer. When adjuster came out he spent about 10 sec. looking at it. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I would advise to have the boat appraised or speak to whatever insurance company is going pay, about having a marine appraisal done,
Old 10-08-2018, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Post some one word posts so you can upload pics. I'm not suggesting you do this but auto body shops frequently take a hammer to cars to raise damage estimates ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.