Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Insurance and Finance (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/insurance-finance-198/)
-   -   Boat accident. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/insurance-finance/373018-boat-accident.html)

Fountain38 08-19-2021 09:53 PM

Boat accident.

Got a serious question for you guys. June 26, I was tee boned by a bass boat after dark navigating without any lights, except for a cell phone flashlight. First thing is everyone on both boats was ok, and the bass boat people were wearing life jackets. Lake patrol deemed him at fault completely. I had just purchased a new 35’ Center console April 1 and it had 17 hours on it.
The owner of the bass boat only had $100k of insurance for liability. That is not near enough to even fix it little less cover replacement cost. I have excellent insurance and yes I know it will kick in and my insurance will go after the offender and his insurance company.

I have a few questions and concerns that I hope someone can help me with. I have one estimate that says it’s totalled. The insurance company wants to have their appraiser look at it too.

1)If insurance company won’t total it, is there such a thing as Demished value on a boat?
2)Do I have a leg to stand on to demand replacement of boat, and since boats are higher now because of COVID, will they pay the higher replacement cost?
3)Can I collect for loss of use since it was so new and it ruined the whole summer.
4)Can I collect for my slip rental fee since it has a Hydrohoist mounted in the slip.
5) Can I collect lost boat tag and excise fees from insurance company.

If anyone has any input, or advice, I would greatly appreciate it. This has been a real headache, needless to say. Needless to say, insurance companies don’t move very quickly. This accident was in Oklahoma on freshwater. Thank you all for any help.

Quinlan 08-20-2021 06:25 AM

I heard about this on our pond. Really Sux but glad all are ok. It was raining also wasn't it?
Good luck w Insurance is all I can say.
Statement too right?

IGetWet 08-20-2021 06:38 AM

Dam, sorry to hear that. I’m no insurance expert, hopefully one of the insurance guys will chime in but;

1: not sure
2: I think if you can prove that it wouldn’t be the same boat or it’d be unsafe.
3-5: I highly doubt unless it’s written into your policy.

speicher lane 08-20-2021 06:57 AM

Generally, your insurer will work for you when there is fault with another party.

Obviously the other insurer will dispute the total loss and have it examined by someone representing their interest... GET another quote/inspection, or two or three of the damage. No insurance co. will settle on one quote. Will a rep from the boat mfg provide a "professional assessment" as to the integrity of the boat - assuming you have contacted them about the issues/ concerns?

It can be repaired- it comes down to $ vs $ as to the avenue of payout. Be very cautious as to who would be performing the work is that is the direction that your insurer is only going to provide for.....Slips tags and other similar claims - file for the loss but expect it to be turned down. It is like brand new tires on a car and it gets T-boned (lost money but somehow always explained as it adds to the calculated value of the car), In your case it is a cost associated with keeping the boat as you prefer but not part of the real property insured.

$hitty situation for sure. Fight kicking and screaming for every penny as you will earn it. Good Luck as times like this are when you really find out how good your broker and covering insurer are for the premiums you pay.

Fountain38 08-20-2021 08:24 AM

Boat accident

I appreciate you guys help and input. I have a great agent, but he is just the agent. Lol. Well I’ll see how my insurance company steps up to help. Statement said for me to bring it down for a estimate, but at 1250 miles I was trying to avoid that. I feel like if it has to be repaired, they are the only place I want to attempt it. If the insurance contends that it can be repaired, then I will get it to statement. No one local can fix it like the factory and the insurance can pay there price.

I’ll continue to see what others say on this thread. I sincerely appreciate you guys taking time to share your opinion I’ll keep you informed.

Taboma 08-20-2021 11:39 AM

I would recommend Shane at Fiber Tech on your lake take a look at it. Great guy and work.

Fountain38 08-20-2021 11:50 AM

Thank you Taboma. I’ll have to look him up.

bajaholic 08-20-2021 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Fountain38 (Post 4802332)
I appreciate you guys help and input. I have a great agent, but he is just the agent. Lol. Well I’ll see how my insurance company steps up to help. Statement said for me to bring it down for a estimate, but at 1250 miles I was trying to avoid that. I feel like if it has to be repaired, they are the only place I want to attempt it. If the insurance contends that it can be repaired, then I will get it to statement. No one local can fix it like the factory and the insurance can pay there price.

I’ll continue to see what others say on this thread. I sincerely appreciate you guys taking time to share your opinion I’ll keep you informed.

Sorry to hear about this!!!!!

LOTO has numerous places that should be able to help you. My first suggestion is Gel Pro https://www.gelprofiberglass.com

Brian (CRI)

Wildman_grafix 08-20-2021 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fountain38 (Post 4802332)

How much to fly someone up from Statement to look at it? May be worth the cost in the long run.

Griff 08-20-2021 01:46 PM

You need to have a good Marine Surveyor examine the boat.