Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > LaveyCraft
Out of the Mold- Im blown away! >

Out of the Mold- Im blown away!

Out of the Mold- Im blown away!

Old 04-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1 View Post
What radar unit do you have? I was just reading about the new 3G and 4G broadband radar.

Michael
Furuno high def 4KW.

The broadband 3 and 4 G's are interesting they are really good close in, but dont have the range. My theory on power is that I dont have to worry about anything up close I didn't see at 3-4 miles out.

They also dont have the ability to run at dual ranges from the same dome and manually tune each ranges gain separately.

But- you can stand right in front of the broadband units and not worry about retina damage.

Thanks for the interest.

Uncle Dave
Old 04-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
Furuno high def 4KW.

The broadband 3 and 4 G's are interesting they are really good close in, but dont have the range. My theory on power is that I dont have to worry about anything up close I didn't see at 3-4 miles out.

They also dont have the ability to run at dual ranges from the same dome and manually tune each ranges gain separately.

But- you can stand right in front of the broadband units and not worry about retina damage.

Thanks for the interest.

Uncle Dave
My main motivation for radar is fog suddenly coming in. I've seen it come in suddenly in SoCal, and then you can barely see anything - very spooky. I've heard the standard high powered radar like yours is still the best for navigating along shoreline, where it is hard to get a bounce.

My dad was in S.F. Bay in his cruiser at night, and a barge with no lights on rammed the side of his boat (for which the Coast Guard fined the captain). He was lucky he wasn't killed. It put a huge hole in the side of his boat, and also with luck it didn't sink. After that he put in radar.

Michael
Old 04-30-2012, 10:57 PM
BUP
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

seen the boat first hand and checked it all out in Havasu. Nice boat.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael1 View Post
My main motivation for radar is fog suddenly coming in. I've seen it come in suddenly in SoCal, and then you can barely see anything - very spooky. I've heard the standard high powered radar like yours is still the best for navigating along shoreline, where it is hard to get a bounce.

My dad was in S.F. Bay in his cruiser at night, and a barge with no lights on rammed the side of his boat (for which the Coast Guard fined the captain). He was lucky he wasn't killed. It put a huge hole in the side of his boat, and also with luck it didn't sink. After that he put in radar.

Michael
Yup- I totally get it. I see guys anchored at the sea wall half the time I go anywhere when its foggy as they just dont have any situational awareness without a radar. The broadbands will show you the sea wall fine, but dont give a good return at the edge of the radars horizon.

Bummer about your dad - that story combined with many like it and the fact that I have friends and kids with me all the time is why I set that boat up like I did.

I rigged that boat so that I would have 100% confidence running offshore with ANY visibility. I can completely see the shoreline while running in and out of the marina as well as the buoys and even birds.

It also has an AIS receiver so I can pick up commercial traffic without a radar bounce or on the other-side of a sea wall. VERY helpful as it give me their direction, rudder angle and speed- your dad would hav been ok if he'd have had this tech when his accident occurred.

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 05-03-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP View Post
seen the boat first hand and checked it all out in Havasu. Nice boat.
Thanks! I appreciate the compliment.

UD
Old 05-03-2012, 11:30 PM
BUP
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I did take my shoes off so no worries. I know the drill and no playin with the horn or buttons. Anyways I'm looking for a 30 with a single that has a full cabin - no mid cabin and I do not even care if its a bare hull. I'll rig it myself if needed but the hull has to be in good shape. Thx.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP View Post
I did take my shoes off so no worries. I know the drill and no playin with the horn or buttons. Anyways I'm looking for a 30 with a single that has a full cabin - no mid cabin and I do not even care if its a bare hull. I'll rig it myself if needed but the hull has to be in good shape. Thx.
2750 is pretty cramped below compared to the 29.
Even though I have the screens and the Ac down there I rarely do more than crash for a night and store stuff out of the sun

Too bad you didnt check out the LED lighting setup.

No worries about looking around. enthusiast are almost always excellent custodians of equipment in general. Id rather have 10 guys that like nice boats in mine than one guy that doesn't appreciate stuff in it.

BTW- I just got out of surgery Monday (why I wasnt at DS) still in pain and missed the party grrrrr..

UD
Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
Yup- I totally get it. I see guys anchored at the sea wall half the time I go anywhere when its foggy as they just dont have any situational awareness without a radar. The broadbands will show you the sea wall fine, but dont give a good return at the edge of the radars horizon.

Bummer about your dad - that story combined with many like it and the fact that I have friends and kids with me all the time is why I set that boat up like I did.

I rigged that boat so that I would have 100% confidence running offshore with ANY visibility. I can completely see the shoreline while running in and out of the marina as well as the buoys and even birds.

It also has an AIS receiver so I can pick up commercial traffic without a radar bounce or on the other-side of a sea wall. VERY helpful as it give me their direction, rudder angle and speed- your dad would hav been ok if he'd have had this tech when his accident occurred.

UD
Uncle Dave,

Sounds like you are well equipped. I think anyone who spends a lot of time on the ocean can appreciate the value of radar and AIS, and backup systems. We've already had three fatal boat accidents from S.F. south in the past couple of months.

I'm not sure my Dad would have been OK if he had AIS back then. I believe the reason some of these rogue barge operators in the S.F. Bay run without lights is they are towing things they shouldn't be towing, and dumping them in the ocean. Those scumbag guys would probably turn the AIS transmitter off. I can tell you his boat never left the dock again without radar. Personally, that kind of a collision would scare the absolute daylights out of me. He seemed to take it more in stride.

Last year, I purchased a Personal Locator Beacon, which is waterproof, and when activated will send a distress signal with GPS coordinates to a satellite for search and rescue dispatch. I got motivated to get one after watching some episodes of "I Shouldn't Be Alive" on AP channel. I saw how many (if not all) of them could have avoided near death with a PLB. I figure it's just one little extra piece of equipment that may save my life someday on that cold ocean.

I hope you recover quickly, and can get back out on the water!

Michael
Old 07-06-2014, 10:04 AM
Registered

Last payment sent July 1. I powered a 20 year note down to a little over 5 years.

Im a little lighter on cash, but a lot richer for fun. Will post more picts soon!

Have a great summer everyone!

Uncle Dave
Old 07-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that was very quick! Congrats Dave! Next time I'm back on the left coast we gotta get together.

Quick Reply: Out of the Mold- Im blown away!

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser