Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   LaveyCraft (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/laveycraft-205/)
-   -   Interior Picts (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/laveycraft/221562-interior-picts.html)

Uncle Dave 01-04-2010 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by twistedvelocity (Post 3017251)
I gunna open up the bottom end on my stock 350 mag just to check the bearings out and everything. I got a set of roller tipped rockers around here somewhere I was thinking of throwing on for the hell of it. I was also thinking maybe take the heads apart and do alittle porting mainly just remove casting defects. What do you think?

Without an aftermarket exhaust- any "porting" you do wont do a thing.

Exhaust is the foundation upon which all other engine work stands on.

If you are going to bother at all then I would put it back together w a new set of aluminum heads. Dont even bother with the junk heads that came with your stocker.

Leave the bottom end alone for now, unless you are blowing oil past the rings- have you done a leakdown test?

Heads, intake and exhaust can get you another 100HP or 5 MPH.

UD

twistedvelocity 01-04-2010 02:48 PM

I was just thinking remove teh flashing in the casting. I read before that it alone can be worth up to 30hp on a stock engine.
I'm not gunn put no real money into the stock engine. No leakdown test yet. For the bottom end I was just going to check out the condition of the bearings mainly

Uncle Dave 01-04-2010 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by twistedvelocity (Post 3017287)
I was just thinking remove teh flashing in the casting. I read before that it alone can be worth up to 30hp on a stock engine.
I'm not gunn put no real money into the stock engine. No leakdown test yet. For the bottom end I was just going to check out the condition of the bearings mainly

IN an auto app, probably in a marine app with no other changes, I really doubt it.

Your mercury exhaust is so restrictive I dont think you will get anywhere.

Look at it this way.

At about 1MPH per 20HP lets say you could get 30HP is 1.5 MPH worth all that work?

At this stage ID just leave it in until you are ready to replace it.

UD

twistedvelocity 01-04-2010 09:00 PM

I think my boat would get alittle more then 1mph per 20hp maybe once you get to teh 80mph mark it might be more.
with teh stock 350 mag your about 270hp and that will do 60mph with teh 330hp 454 your around 65mph and the 365hp 454 mag you around 70mph. To me those aren't that big of jumps compared to mph gained

Uncle Dave 01-04-2010 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by twistedvelocity (Post 3017565)
I think my boat would get alittle more then 1mph per 20hp maybe once you get to teh 80mph mark it might be more.
with teh stock 350 mag your about 270hp and that will do 60mph with teh 330hp 454 your around 65mph and the 365hp 454 mag you around 70mph. To me those aren't that big of jumps compared to mph gained

Maybe, as you said past 80 you get into diminishing returns very quickly.

With an alpha you can get a bit better - until it shreds.

The larger bravo drive is less hydrodynamically efficient and "costs" MPH.

UD

twistedvelocity 01-04-2010 09:52 PM

The alpha will never be going back on the boat.
Today I was taking some of the accessories off the engine basicallly every but teh long block and it use to be a salt water boat and there is a decent amount of corrosion in the intake water passage so i think im going to get alittle more into it

twistedvelocity 01-04-2010 10:45 PM

Do you know if the seapump brackets off a 454 will work on a 350

Uncle Dave 01-04-2010 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by twistedvelocity (Post 3017626)
Do you know if the seapump brackets off a 454 will work on a 350

I dont think so but I never tried to line them up.

UD

twistedvelocity 01-04-2010 11:54 PM

Do you know when switching to the bravo from an alpha if I need to switch the shift linkage also?

twistedvelocity 01-05-2010 02:18 AM

Man picking a colour to go with for this thing is driving me crazy. I originally wanted orange then I could't find the right colour. Then it was blue but I read about the dark colours so that was a no no. Now im leaning back towards orange and I want to paint on blue and silver graphics. I was thinkng silver for a main colour but I dont; think its for me. Also the idea of a real light teal maybe