Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   LaveyCraft (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/laveycraft-205/)
-   -   What is the secret of the 2750??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/laveycraft/261830-what-secret-2750-a.html)

fastestbowtie 09-07-2011 04:15 AM

What is the secret of the 2750???

How is the 2750 so light? I asked a similar question in another thread but never really got a clear answer. I am just curious how the 2750 Nuera (I assume is a 27.5' hull before the swim platform which then makes it 28.5') is the same weight as the 26 Nuera (which I assumes is 1.5' shorter but the same width) yet 950 lbs lighter than the 29 Nuera? Previously I was told the 29 retained a little more height through the cabin than the 2750. It still seems strange that the 2750 would weigh the same as a boat 1.5' shorter yet still be almost 1000 lbs lighter than a boat 1.5' longer. Are these other hulls not vacuum bagged or do they use a different type of mat, or are there any other design changes to make the 2750 lighter?

lavey jr 09-07-2011 08:50 PM

First, you are correct about the 2750 dimensions. The running surface is 27.5' and the OAL is 28.5'

Now when comparing size difference of the 26 and 2750... Their height really isn't very far off and the length is only 1.5' difference. The 26 is not balsa cored nor is it vaccum bagged, where as the 2750 is both balsa cored and vaccum bagged. This makes a pretty good difference.

If you compare the 2750 and the 29... All around the 29 is quite a bit taller. The sides are taller, the deck is taller, the cockpit is deeper, etc... So there are quite a bit of variables that make the 29 quite a bit heavier.
Although, the 2750 and 29 do share the same lamination schedule...

fastestbowtie 09-08-2011 03:02 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking there nust have been some construction difference. I would mention though that the Lavey website list both cockpit depths for the 2750 and 29 at 49"... Perhaps a misprint.
I guess that also explains the price discrepancies between the used 2750's and 26's.

Uncle Dave 09-09-2011 10:23 AM

Lavey JR knows his product better than I, but it seemed to me that the cockpit depth was identical but the height of the lower piece was greater effectively raising the freeboard and making the boat taller.

UD

lavey jr 09-10-2011 05:32 PM

I'll verify measurements on cockpit depths on Monday.

fastestbowtie 09-12-2011 07:29 PM

Lavey Jr., I have another question if you don't mind. Has Lavey Craft made any layup changes in the last few years? For example have they switched to any different materials than previously used, or changed the bottom designs or anything like that and if so could you tell me when and what those changes may have been? For example I know several boat builders have switched to different materials to eliminate wood in their constructions, but you would never know which is which by looking at it. I have also noticed some of the older generations of models that have different lifting strakes and design changes in the running surface yet the model designation remains unchanged. I am curious because there is no way I will be able to afford a brand new boat anytime soon, but am considering a move into a larger newer used boat in the near future. I would love to see myself in a newer 2750 mid-cabin but may have to settle for something a little older and was just curious for example if there was any difference in build between say a 2002 2750 and a 2008 2750?
I might also consider a 29' but with my limited pocket book I was thinking a 2750 would offer me a little more speed for the power I would be able to afford.
Thanks for all your help.

hotlavey 09-13-2011 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by fastestbowtie (Post 3501911)
Lavey Jr., I have another question if you don't mind. Has Lavey Craft made any layup changes in the last few years? For example have they switched to any different materials than previously used, or changed the bottom designs or anything like that and if so could you tell me when and what those changes may have been? For example I know several boat builders have switched to different materials to eliminate wood in their constructions, but you would never know which is which by looking at it. I have also noticed some of the older generations of models that have different lifting strakes and design changes in the running surface yet the model designation remains unchanged. I am curious because there is no way I will be able to afford a brand new boat anytime soon, but am considering a move into a larger newer used boat in the near future. I would love to see myself in a newer 2750 mid-cabin but may have to settle for something a little older and was just curious for example if there was any difference in build between say a 2002 2750 and a 2008 2750?
I might also consider a 29' but with my limited pocket book I was thinking a 2750 would offer me a little more speed for the power I would be able to afford.
Thanks for all your help.

Check your private messages.

lavey jr 09-13-2011 05:27 PM

There have been no lay up changes in the past few years.
It is an option to do different layups like carbon/kevlar and foam core. But it is not standard.
Lavey's are not wood free but there isn't very much wood used. Mainly all bolsa and decalite.

The bottoms on the NuEra line have been modified the past few years. So depending on the boat, there could be a difference between the 2002 and 2008. If the 2002 has the "full" original bottom it can be modified to the new bottom. Some of the strakes and lip strakes have been removed. I believe the change came into effect mid-late 2008... So It is hard to say if the boat's bottom is different without knowing which boat it is.

Also, I checked the cockpit depths on the 2750 and 29 today. The 29 is about 5" deeper all around.
2750 is 36" where the driver/passenger sit and the 29 is 41".

fastestbowtie 09-15-2011 10:50 PM

Lavey Jr., your quick. I was going to suggest you correct the specs on the website but you already have... Good job and thanks for the answers.

BUP 09-17-2011 03:17 PM

Lavey Jr. what places are you using wood in your construction and type of wood being used. Is your construction layup the same for the current models as it was for the 2000's models and up ? Also if you were to change a older 2750 & 29 bottom to the newer bottom design would there be a noticeable difference say in the speed & handling of under 80 mph ?. Thank you for your time.