Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   LaveyCraft (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/laveycraft-205/)
-   -   What to do if your hatch motor quits? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/laveycraft/270925-what-do-if-your-hatch-motor-quits.html)

GAZ 02-18-2012 08:46 AM

What to do if your hatch motor quits?

What do you do if your hatch motor quits and the hatch is down? Mine hasn't yet, but I would like to have a plan if that happens. I have been looking at mine (2002 Lavey 29 Nu Era) and I cannot see a way to pull the pin if you needed to. I'm thinking of drilling a access hole in the top and putting a vent on it with screws. So it could be removed to get at the hatch pin. Any other ideas on what you guys are doing?

dbkerley 02-18-2012 10:12 AM

My lift cylinder is in a sliding sleeve and there is a recessed handle in the deck. The connection bolt in the sleeve has been removed so I can lift the hatch even if I lose power. It is very heavy and I had to do it once because my grandson lifted the hatch to show some friends the engine. I showed him where the switch was after that.

Quent 02-22-2012 02:40 PM

All the Laveys I've had have a 12 V male connector under the back seats and a cable provided that can be attached to a battery outside the engine compartment. This will power the hatch motor.

lavey jr 02-23-2012 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Quent (Post 3624217)
All the Laveys I've had have a 12 V male connector under the back seats and a cable provided that can be attached to a battery outside the engine compartment. This will power the hatch motor.

Exactly.

The plug will be located right next to the battery switch.
You can either hook a battery to it or a charger. If you use a charger, that plug is only to be used in order to get the hatch up, DO NOT use it to charger the batteries.

Captain YARRR 02-23-2012 07:03 PM

I think he may be asking if there is actually a problem with the motor itself.

GAZ 02-23-2012 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Quent (Post 3624217)

Mine did not come with this connector/fitting but I ordered/made one that is great if the electric motor is working. BUT.... What if the motor actually QUITS!!! Like will not work even though you have electrical power. My motor doesn't sound good and I don't see any way to pull the quick pin that attaches the ram to the hatch. Unless I'm missing something???? I don't want to be out on the water and not be able to get into the engine compartment because the electric motor on the ram quit working.

GAZ 02-23-2012 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR (Post 3625456)
I think he may be asking if there is actually a problem with the motor itself.

Exactly,Correct!! has anyone figured out how to get into the engine compartment if the hatch motor QUITS. Due to something other than an electrical problem. I see this as a BIG PROBLEM! I'm thinking of drilling a 4" hole in the top/back of the middle headrest /engine intake vent and putting a round white soffit vent in it so if I need to I can pop the vent out and pull the quick pin and be able to lift the hatch by hand. Any other ideas on how to get to the pin. I don't see how.

Uncle Dave 02-23-2012 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by GAZ (Post 3625536)
Exactly,Correct!! has anyone figured out how to get into the engine compartment if the hatch motor QUITS. Due to something other than an electrical problem. I see this as a BIG PROBLEM! I'm thinking of drilling a 4" hole in the top/back of the middle headrest /engine intake vent and putting a round white soffit vent in it so if I need to I can pop the vent out and pull the quick pin and be able to lift the hatch by hand. Any other ideas on how to get to the pin. I don't see how.

Im looking for a pict- my big Lavey has what Quent is describing an external connector for power, but if the lift quits thats an entirely different problem.

My little Lavey has a pass through behind the seat you can reach inside and pull a pin on each side of the lift (its a very nice pin actually)

Ive had an electric hatch lifts for 20 years and never had the hatch lift quit.Im sure it happens though.

Uncle Dave

Centsless 02-24-2012 12:54 AM

undo the rear hinge pins.......crawl in and do that voodoo we do so well

GAZ 02-26-2012 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Centsless (Post 3625715)
undo the rear hinge pins.......crawl in and do that voodoo we do so well

No way to get at the rear hinge pins. They are bolts, you can get a wrench on the bolt head from the out side but no way to get a wrench on the nylock nut on the inside.