Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   LaveyCraft (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/laveycraft-205/)
-   -   Tripod effect work on the 29???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/laveycraft/347646-tripod-effect-work-29-a.html)

fastboatfella 06-14-2017 05:34 PM

Tripod effect work on the 29????

Just curious seeing that the tabs are mounted different on the 29. I run neutral tab a lot when its rough and picked up 2mph by slightly dipping the right (driver side tab). What does Chris say about the 29 full bottom boats Lavey Jr./Dave? How did they mount tabs on the new 29 that just came out of the mold this year? Very interesting stuff!

Thanks in advance

lavey jr 06-16-2017 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by fastboatfella (Post 4561904)
Just curious seeing that the tabs are mounted different on the 29. I run neutral tab a lot when its rough and picked up 2mph by slightly dipping the right (driver side tab). What does Chris say about the 29 full bottom boats Lavey Jr./Dave? How did they mount tabs on the new 29 that just came out of the mold this year? Very interesting stuff!

Thanks in advance

Good question. I honestly don't have a for sure answer because I have very little seat time in the 29 compared to the 2750. However I do know that the 29 handles a bit different than the 2750 due to it's overall size difference. The 29 is perfectly fine with the "full" bottom unless its a twin engine boat or if it's high horsepower and 100mph+ running is going to be a primary goal and will be a regular speed you run it to.

Neutral tab in the rough is right where you want to run that boat. The only odd thing I see from what you've said is that you picked up speed by dropping the starboard tab. Normally it's the port side tab that needs to be dropped on the Lavey's. My only reasoning I can think of is that the given conditions you were running in such as wind direction, angle of attack on the waves, and even a slight water current. I have run the NuEra's where for some odd reason in a specific condition I had to significantly lower the starboard tab to even run straight. That was always due to obvious conditions like I mentioned.

But to answer your main question, ALL the NuEra's 2750 and up like the "tripod" effect. Tabs down to neutral (or very slightly down pending conditions), drive up to neutral or very slightly positive. Your other question as to the tabs on the new 29, last time I spoke with my dad I'm pretty sure they will be mounting the tabs horizontal like they do on the 2750. (but don't quote me on that statement)

fastboatfella 06-16-2017 04:19 PM

Thank you for your reply Lavey Jr., What you said about odd times when you have to drop starboard tab, I would very much agree with. Have not been able to figure out why, every now and then it will lean to starboard, not very often. Neutral tab is typically what I run around on with slightly positive trim. Too much trim the boat will slow. This particular 29, I never need port tab for what ever reason, other than tab down on both for plane. When I first noticed an increase in speed with very slight starboard tab, it was early morning, no boat traffic and we were heading back to the marina on glass. Boat was WOT for an extended time and I was watching the tach and gps making slight adjustments with the tabs one at a time, with the starboard tab slightly dipped, the gps gained 2mph. When I started there was a very slight lean to starboard. There is also a bit of current on that stretch.
The full bottom boat in my opinion is perfect for my set up of one engine, lots of lift. A boat this size in my experience should not run as fast as it does with this power, estimate 680-720hp. I cant wait to hear how this new 29 runs with its single engine and drive.
Never have I enjoyed a boat as much as this 29. Truthfully I don't run around with that starboard tab dipped looking for that extra 2 mph boat runs great with neutral tab, everyone just sparked my interest with the talk about the Tripod effect! Always fun to find a little extra! Lol!

BUP 06-16-2017 07:03 PM

We ordered the new biggest stepped tabs by Livorsi. IMO they might have to be mounted following the hull / transom lines because and again IMO what good is the stepped effect of these new tabs if mounted straight across (tripod effect) or the training wheel effect as some others call mounting tabs that way. Also I ordered the stepped tabs with the fish tails - it has more overall surface area.

. We are willing to give them a try plus trying the newest available tech out on the performance market.

Schweeng 06-19-2017 06:16 PM

I didn't use the tabs much in the 29's I've owned....even the twin I had ... In the occasions I did... cross wind or narrow areas of the lake where there was high traffic ( in front of Copper Cyn...) 90% of running this boat...tabs up.
2750...yeah port tab down

BUP 06-20-2017 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Schweeng (Post 4562997)
I didn't use the tabs much in the 29's I've owned....even the twin I had ... In the occasions I did... cross wind or narrow areas of the lake where there was high traffic ( in front of Copper Cyn...) 90% of running this boat...tabs up.
2750...yeah port tab down

Just asking and checking - on all the 29's you owned and seen thru out the years - how was the trim tabs mounted ? tripod or did they follow the transom bottom lines ?

BUP 06-20-2017 12:36 AM

I am sure the twin engine 29 trim tabs were mounted following the transom line.

Schweeng 06-20-2017 04:03 PM

All 29's followed the trasom line.
The 2750 mounted tripod

Schweeng 06-20-2017 04:10 PM

Funny story..... The first 29 made I was lucky enough to own. I noticed the inner tips of the tabs were angled. When I mentioned this to Chris or Jeff (memory....) they said (remember this is the fist large boat they had built....all kinda new parts....on the fly R&D)
After mounting the tabs...and doing a lake test they found the tabs extended too long and the prop hit the tabs on a tight turn....
Not sure if all tabs are notched going forward post hull #1 or if they are buying a shorter tab.....

fastboatfella 06-26-2017 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by BUP (Post 4562419)
We ordered the new biggest stepped tabs by Livorsi. IMO they might have to be mounted following the hull / transom lines because and again IMO what good is the stepped effect of these new tabs if mounted straight across (tripod effect) or the training wheel effect as some others call mounting tabs that way. Also I ordered the stepped tabs with the fish tails - it has more overall surface area.

. We are willing to give them a try plus trying the newest available tech out on the performance market.

I had to look up the Livorsi tabs you speak of, very nice hardware! When are you planning on having that 29 done and rigged? I believe, and correct me if I am wrong, yours will be the first 29 with the new bottom? Very interested to see how it runs!