Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   LaveyCraft (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/laveycraft-205/)
-   -   Adjusting Trim Indicator Cables (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/laveycraft/349965-adjusting-trim-indicator-cables.html)

avbiro 09-24-2017 03:23 PM

Adjusting Trim Indicator Cables

When I installed my new SCX Outdrive I didn't really calibrate the trim indicator cable to "0" on the Trim Gauge at the helm when the boat runs level level. I plan on adjusting it correctly along with my trim tabs. I wanted to assume if I lower or raise the jack on my trailer I could find neutral on the hull by using a yard stick with level bubble. (I hope Neutral is the correct terminology). Is it possible to find how my hull rides level while sitting on the trailer and if so where do I take this reading?
The idea is to find where the hull runs level (Neutral) and then adjust my outdrive so it is level as well. Once I find this I will adjust the Trim cable, that mounts on one of the trim rams, so it reads "0" on my Mechanical gauge at the helm.
Any help would be appreciated.

lavey jr 09-24-2017 05:01 PM

Mr. Biro,

Best way to find level (neutral) is exactly how you said. You will adjust the trailer jack up/down and use a level on the rear strakes of the boat until it reads level. At that point you will adjust the trim on the outdrive and using the level on flat surfaces of the drive, usually parts of the cavitation plate, then when that reads level that will be your neural setting making the outdrive level/parallel with the bottom of the boat. From there you will adjust the cable location on the trim ram to reflect the settings you want the indicator to read. Hope that helps.

avbiro 09-24-2017 09:41 PM

Thanks Chris,
It turns out the cable is pretty corroded and it will no longer extend out while under the pressure of the spring. I can grab the end and usually pull it out another 3 inches. With that said, can you tell me what length cable I will need? I guess I can pull out the old one and just measure but I was hoping to get a part number if possible. Do you think this is something I can bother your dad about? One of Trim tab indicator cables is also bad and sticking. Thanks

lavey jr 09-24-2017 10:25 PM

I'll double check with my dad on the length. But yes, I'm almost positive they have a few of those on the shelf at the shop. You can email him but your best sure fire way to get a hold of him is to actually call the shop.

BUP 09-25-2017 12:39 AM

You can pull out the cables and there is writing on the cables. The letters and numbers on the cables all tell the style of the cable and the length. But before you pull out the old cables I actually tie on a very strong waxed string for a fish to help pull the new cables back in.

Also very fine baby powder on the new cable helps pulls it thru. Kind of helps with sliding / less friction on pulling the new cable thru if needed.

I do know this for the trim indicator cables for the 28 Race boat - was 33 CCX Extreme - 24 ft for the starboard side trim tab cable and 33 CCX Extreme - 28 ft for the port side trim tab.

I looked at and sold new ones to the current owner just before they left for Clearwater SBI races. They left today.

Chris should be able to order all of these cables for you if he does not have in stock already.

BUP 09-25-2017 12:40 AM

Sorry double post - so I eased it here

avbiro 09-26-2017 12:38 PM

Thank you for the advice. I pulled out the old Cable last night, using some thick string so I can install the new cable easier. The writing on the cables says it is a Ultraflex C8 23FT. I check with Teague and they have Teleflex cable vs. a Ultraflex instock. I am assuming either will work?

BUP 09-26-2017 02:15 PM

correct 2 different companies that make cables. You will have to get the direct crossover cable including the same length

Uflex is a Italy based

Teleflex cables is a Canada base

avbiro 09-26-2017 02:21 PM

Can you explain what you mean about "direct crossover cable"? I am assuming you mean make sure I get the correct ends and length? I thought "C8" is a universal term for describing the Ends of the cable, like thread size, etc.

BUP 09-26-2017 10:41 PM

Ultra flex aka Uflex C8 going off the top of my head cross to Teleflex is 33 C cables.

Important Teleflex is owned by Sea Star Solutions so POSSIBLE you can see that name in the Teleflex descriptions.

Also years ago Teleflex bought Morse and you can see Teleflex Morse 33 C in the cable descriptions. I think I covered it all now.