Lake St Clair Magnum's >

Lake St Clair Magnum's

Notices

Lake St Clair Magnum's

Old 11-13-2013, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Katanna,
I'm afraid I don't have many more pics, I just go it in Sept. I bought it from my freind who only had it for a year. He bought it from a gentelman on Grosse Isle that has a bigger Magmun now. It doesn't look like it was raced, no extra holes and it's in real good shape. It's engines have been rebuilt and seems down on power a little, but is still fun. I believe they were 280 TRS originaly and still looks stock as far as trans and drives go. It runs only 52 mph and I think in stock form they used to be able to do around 57 to 60, or so. Maybe someone can tell me for sure. It has 21 pitch Mirage props and turns 4100 rpm's. Dawn at Gregory's did the blue paint and did a great job. Someone installed a teak cockpit deck and all is in great shape. I'm a engine guy so as long as the looks are good, I'm not worried about the mechanics of it.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If it was originally blue it could be the one I mentioned ealier. It would have spent a good portion of its life at Jefferson beach and then sat several years outside the back door at shipwreck marine.
Way down on power and speed. My 76 with the 280 trs would spin 23 mirage close to 5000 and run 60+. The small blocks are great on gas. Great boat, you will love it. I miss mine.
Steve
Old 11-14-2013, 06:18 AM
Registered

Yes it was blue. It has Edelbrock 600 carbs on it now. I found a pair of Q-Jets and will go thru them and install them this winter.
Was yours stock, power wise? Do you know if someones tried the Mercury Enertia props?
Old 11-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Registered

My 27 was stock. My 28 Maltese had some cam work and better exhaust, it would run in the upper 60's. Both boats came with cleavers and I switched to Mirage which was the prop of the day. I would love to see what a set of 4-blades would do and will eventually try that on my 29 Mirage-same style hull.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Mr Bill [redalert ] said the late John Davis in Marine city did the teak floor. Davis also did all the wood work on Bill's Fino. Stock 280 Trs Mags ran around 62 mph, my Mag has 23p Mirage props & runs upper 60's. Have you checked the tach's they may not be reading the right rpm, I had a set that read low. Did you check the speed with a GPS ??? T Falk [ here on OSO] & his dad @ American Marine I believe did work on this Mag years ago, Tim may have some insight on her.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Registered

Great info, Thank you. I understand that the boat did come from Marine City years back, but I don't know when. Speed was GPS, twice each way for average. Tach's were check with a separate AutoMeter and are indeed very close. I've been swamped at work and have not even had a chance to check the tune. I don't know who did the engines, or what parts are in them. Not much blow-by, 60 to 65 psi oil pressure, all seems good except power and speed. I can't wait to start playing with it though. I've got to do something other than work. This will be good therapy for me.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Registered

The first thing I would check would be the timing. Set the initial at 10-12 and rec it up and verify it is advancing. Common for the weights to get rusty in bottom of the dist. Springs are also prone to breaking.
Teak floor done by John Davis would be beautiful. He was a good friend. I was at his shop when he finished a floor in an older donzi center console at it was stunning.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

----That would have been my El Pescador, Katanna!!! John was a close and valued friend. I really miss him and his common sense. John told me that he put this 27 together for the "then" owner. He also said that the motors were somewhere around 400ish hp and the boat would run 70 or close to it. Dont know whats happened in the interim. "Sumpins rong sumwear"!!!.........Bill S
Old 11-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Magnum Marine Tour

.After leaving Key West last week it was good to get back to reality & stopping by Magnum Marine. Harold gave Jeff & I the grand tour. Magnum had a new 50' in the water & it is very nice, powered by 1500hp MTU diesels this Mag runs around 70 mph.. Magnum has a refurbished classic 27' hull sport mold but no deck mold yet . We also saw some raw copies of the new book, very cool.. Here are some pic's of the tour.
Attached Thumbnails Lake St Clair Magnum's-dsc050731.jpg   Lake St Clair Magnum's-dsc050591.jpg   Lake St Clair Magnum's-dsc050641.jpg  

Lake St Clair Magnum's-dsc05072.jpg   Lake St Clair Magnum's-dsc050831.jpg   Lake St Clair Magnum's-dsc050841.jpg  

Lake St Clair Magnum's-dsc050851.jpg   Lake St Clair Magnum's-dsc050901.jpg   Lake St Clair Magnum's-dsc050871.jpg  

Old 11-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Registered

You both are correct, the wood work is some of the best. He was a Craftsman indeed. I'm thinking someone has done the engine's since then, it has 600 Edelbrock carbs, stock smooth idle and late model electronic ignition. I'll get to the bottom of it. Thanks for the info guy's.

Quick Reply: Lake St Clair Magnum's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.