Wants your Magnums cockpit set up like >

Wants your Magnums cockpit set up like

Notices

Wants your Magnums cockpit set up like

Old 04-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

24degree,this helps a lot.According to a brochure someone posted on here the V windscreen came out in 71 or 72 so that would put her in that time frame.When i bought her i paid off a note that was owed to a car lot,so i didn't meet the owner,and didn't realy care as long as i got a clear title.After we raced her in Ft.Myers in 2001 after the race this man comes up an say's you got my old Magnum.This is when he told me the story about Don A telling him that he built 3 boats diff. 1 went to Italy 1 went up north and 1 went to someone in the drug trade.I always thought he ment diff. meaning the V windscreen,but i have seen a lot more then 3 with the V on here sense then.The only thing i can find diff.on Vixen is the wght.when we were rebuilding her we noticed that with all the paint off a man inside could see the outline of the guy working outside,so i new she was thin constructon.I didn't really know that much about Mags back in 2000,and still don't today,but i do know that no matter how you work the wghts. she will always come up 1200-1500# lighter then a normal Magnum. Mel
Old 04-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Light lay up

Mel there is no question that some of the Mag's,especially made for racing have been layed up lighter. There is no question that on my 29-9 even with the gel coat tangerine orange they used in 73 you can still see through the hull. Bud
Old 04-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mag27
24degree,this helps a lot.According to a brochure someone posted on here the V windscreen came out in 71 or 72 so that would put her in that time frame.When i bought her i paid off a note that was owed to a car lot,so i didn't meet the owner,and didn't realy care as long as i got a clear title.After we raced her in Ft.Myers in 2001 after the race this man comes up an say's you got my old Magnum.This is when he told me the story about Don A telling him that he built 3 boats diff. 1 went to Italy 1 went up north and 1 went to someone in the drug trade.I always thought he ment diff. meaning the V windscreen,but i have seen a lot more then 3 with the V on here sense then.The only thing i can find diff.on Vixen is the wght.when we were rebuilding her we noticed that with all the paint off a man inside could see the outline of the guy working outside,so i new she was thin constructon.I didn't really know that much about Mags back in 2000,and still don't today,but i do know that no matter how you work the wghts. she will always come up 1200-1500# lighter then a normal Magnum. Mel
Mel,

Another clue is to measure the placement of the bulkhead forward of the cabin door. Roger may be able to tell you when they changed the placement of it. I believe mine is a '70 so its' a little more rearward than Aaron's which is a '74.

Jeff
Old 04-29-2008, 04:00 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Len S
Hey guys need your input:

As you know my magnum has Org: bucket seats in it and ive been talking about putting in bolsters and doing the floor.

I now have a older set of bolster seats and i want to install them. Im looking for pictures on how they are going to look in the boat, who has pic's of bolsters in a mag

Should they be side by side or off set them like my buckets are now??????

what would you do with the floor??? leave it alone or lower the whole floor or do cut outs in front of the seats.

thanks for the help

The holes in floor and the drop-out bolsters were perfect in the yellow and white interior in post #3. I cannot imagine driving that Magnum at 81mph to 86 mph in any other configuration (that how fast the boat went from day one of ownership to the last day of ownership - over a eight-teen year period).

I loved driving with the bolster down, me standing, with my feet in the hole; once you driven a 27' Sport like that, your opinion will change quickly, in favor of that set-up.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
The holes in floor and the drop-out bolsters were perfect in the yellow and white interior in post #3. I cannot imagine driving that Magnum at 81mph to 86 mph in any other configuration (that how fast the boat went from day one of ownership to the last day of ownership - over a eight-teen year period).

I loved driving with the bolster down, me standing, with my feet in the hole; once you driven a 27' Sport like that, your opinion will change quickly, in favor of that set-up.
Hello Smarty
I had a two man Bolster in mine when I had it. I then changed over to a three man Bolster setup with drop downs and dropped the floor seven inches and out in the open ocean, I wouldn't have it any other way. But I can understand keeping it all original.. there is something special about a stock untouched Sport.

Thank you
Jim
Old 04-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Registered

Twenty Four,thats the one in the lower center i was asking about.Was tauking with R Mund last week about the diff. between his Mag and Vixen and how they differ,hi's is a 68 according to the number under the dash and heavy as lead,i think he said 7400#. The state listed Vixen as a 72 when they retitled it after it was conficated and auctiond off.Now with no number under the dash and noware else thiers no way they could have known the year,i thought the decale might give me some idea but i see now latter models use the same thing.We tauked about how different the 2 boats were and figured Vixen had to be much later then 72.I could go on an on about the diff. in these 2 boats but its not that important,anyway thats why i asked this dumb question i guess.Thank you all. Mel
Hello Mel,

I have to agree with you
Years ago when I was on Roger's Jolly Roger Sport,, if you walked on his deck, it didn't flex at all and when you walked on my 73 Sport there was some flex and i heard that on later Sports,, the deck even flexed more.
So they were making changed to the lay ups over the years.
Thank you

Jim
Old 04-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty

I am 6.6 and i love having a stand up mag, but the last thing i would due is cut up a boat like lens........Keep the mags the way the once were, just make them cooooooler....
Old 04-30-2008, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smarty,What kind of power were you running in your Mag,and was that racing speedo or gps.18teen to 20 years ago that was some speed,even today you dont hear of many Mags going much over 75.Right now i'm running a very mild 540 in Vixen compared to the one i just took out and she still hits 80mph and maybe a couple more when i switch to a 28 B1 prop,right now she runs 60 at 4000rpms an 80 at 6000 with a 26 B1 an i still keep tabs just 3inch above neutral at the tips.What i want is a mild enough 540 like this one i just put in with a hyd. cam that will idle and handle great at the dock and cruise at 60mph at about 36 or 3700 rpm. Mel
Old 04-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Twin small blocks 1200 HP

The boat we hope to take down to the Florida Don Arnow race and will be at the lake St Claire reunion is a real beast .Have never had it to it's top end...waiting for Roger to possibly put it through it's paces.It has twin small block Donovans ,Brodix heads and all that you would expect ...12.5 to 1 compression ratio,burns 116 octane producing 600 plus horsepower each. It idles at 1500,kicks in at 3,000 and 5,000 rpm's and red lines at 8,000.How fast will it go with the TRS's... all depends on the Transmissions??? We will keep you posted... BudWeisner
Attached Thumbnails Wants your Magnums cockpit set up like-img_0017.jpg   Wants your Magnums cockpit set up like-img_0006.jpg   Wants your Magnums cockpit set up like-img_0004.jpg  

Old 04-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Registered

Smarty,What kind of power were you running in your Mag,and was that racing speedo or gps.18teen to 20 years ago that was some speed,even today you dont hear of many Mags going much over 75.Right now i'm running a very mild 540 in Vixen compared to the one i just took out and she still hits 80mph and maybe a couple more when i switch to a 28 B1 prop,right now she runs 60 at 4000rpms an 80 at 6000 with a 26 B1 an i still keep tabs just 3inch above neutral at the tips.What i want is a mild enough 540 like this one i just put in with a hyd. cam that will idle and handle great at the dock and cruise at 60mph at about 36 or 3700 rpm. Mel

Hello Mel,

If you talk to Roger M.
His Sport and a few others were running in the low 80s back in the late 70s on the Jersey Shore.

Thank you
Jim

Quick Reply: Wants your Magnums cockpit set up like

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.