Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Magnum Marine (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/magnum-marine-63/)
-   -   Keep the 351's or go chevy? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/magnum-marine/227036-keep-351s-go-chevy.html)

Crallscars 03-24-2010 10:26 PM

Keep the 351's or go chevy?

I am new to your forum,
I have the Magnam Sedan that was used in Huey Lewis & the News "I Got A New Drug' video way back when.

We are starting the restoration planning and I am not sure about keeping the Ford's and changing to 350 Chevy's.

Whats the groups opinion?

Doug

24degrees 03-24-2010 11:34 PM

I'd keep the Fords...are they Holman/Moody and Volvo outdrives?....or MerCruiser?

What's the story on the boat?...how'd it end up in the video?

h2oboater 03-25-2010 01:03 AM

I would stay with the Fords, if all the parts are there & reusable. :drink:

Crallscars 03-25-2010 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by 24degrees (Post 3074564)
I'd keep the Fords...are they Holman/Moody and Volvo outdrives?....or MerCruiser?

What's the story on the boat?...how'd it end up in the video?

The Magnam has 351 Crusaders in it with Volvo 280's and Hynaunics steering. As I understood most in that era had the Holman Moody's, couldn't guessy why this one dosent.

My serial number is 74677

I found an add in the local boating trader when I lived in the Oakland/Alameda area, saying"You Have Seen It on MTV". As most magnams it has been owned by many, one of the owners was involved with Huey Lewis & The News and used it on his video.

If you have never seen it it is on Huey Lewis And The News - Video Hits during the song "I got a new drug. It shows the boat on San Francisco Bay with the Golden Gate behind and a girl laying on the forward deck. I have done screen captures and had the pictures framed.

24degrees 03-25-2010 12:14 PM

Crusaders were 350 Chevs....I thought?

mr vinyl 03-25-2010 12:22 PM

That ID # does not match to a sedan built in 1977...Hull # would have to be between 355 & 368 double check the whole # starting with MAG27....... One went to Arnold Marine #355 White,with Merc 350's, the other 3 went to Bader AL Mulla & Bros. Bud

27sedan 03-25-2010 01:28 PM

not to nit pick, but...
It's Magnum
Not Magnam.

I have watched the video just for the Magnum scenes,
But it's a fun video any way.
Gottal love the beater Porsche speedster as well.

How about pictures?

Enjoy.
I love mine

Crallscars 03-25-2010 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by mr vinyl (Post 3074770)
That ID # does not match to a sedan built in 1977...Hull # would have to be between 355 & 368 double check the whole # starting with MAG27....... One went to Arnold Marine #355 White,with Merc 350's, the other 3 went to Bader AL Mulla & Bros. Bud

Mine is a 1969 or 1970 not 1977. The only hull ID number I know of is the one on the title, is it stamped somewhere on the hull. This boat is pre Vin on the right rear of the transom.

Crallscars 03-25-2010 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by 24degrees (Post 3074767)
Crusaders were 350 Chevs....I thought?

These engines are 351 Ford Crusader Marine with Crusader exhaust manifolds

I have owned the boat since 1992. I found it tied to a dock in Napa Valley in pretty bad shape. During the sea trial, I found the short blocks had been replaced with Ford re-manufactured for street use and the freeze plugs hadn't been changed. One engine had a stream comming out about 1 1/2 inches in diameter which kept both bilge pumps going strong. The gauge cluster had been stepped on and many of the gauges were just hanging. The trailer was in better shape. It had only 5 tires and wheel, holes in the fenders the size of your leg, rollers falling off on the highway on the way home. I brought it home, and scrappped the marine growth off the bottom, and started the re-paint. built a new gauge console added a few gauges, water pressure, and fuel pressure. Went through both engines, replaced an intake manifolf and swapped a set of Bar exhaust manifolds for a used pair of Crusadersso that the engines would match. set the hull back on the trailer and have moved from Oakland Ca to Florence SC, to St Louis MO, to Manassas VA to Bainbridge GA where she siths next to my 28 Cigarette SS that is just being finished up, then the Magnum will get put back together.

I'll have to take some digital pictures, I had only taked photo's in the past of this boat.

mr vinyl 03-25-2010 10:15 PM

Look on the starboard side rear transom,just below the rub rail.Magnums we numbered from 1968 forward,if it has one that is were you will find it. It will start with MAG 27 then 7 additional #'s ie 0520669 Bud