volvo 280 drive >

volvo 280 drive

Notices

volvo 280 drive

Old 02-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volvo 280 drive

how much horsepower could a volvo 280 drive handle comfortably? I am repowering my magnum 25 and most likeley will have an engine built. I am looking for a comfortable cruise not an all, out go fastt.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Registered

there's no absolute answer to your question . .

I to am running a Magnum with twin 280 drives . . and will be pushing 475-500 hp through each unit. I had mine rebuilt and set up for a certain direction of rotation. I will be running Redline synthetic fluids which will do much to ensure long life.
Keep the prop in the water, rebuild your 454 and have fun!
Old 03-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

As I've already mentioned , the old Volvo 250/270/280 drives are great , but they do have their limitations !

My 25 originally had a 350/300hp Chris Craft engine with a 270 drive.
While the original owner was grenading the top end regularly , I was running a 24 footer with two 170 Volvos and 270 drives. After 14 years of hard running the only thing they ever needed was oil changes and bellows.

It probably comes down to not how much power you put through them as much as the weight of the boat that you're pushing.

By today's standards the Mag25 is no featherweight and I think that your safety margin with a 454/280 is going to be the same as the 350/270 combo mentioned above.

Like Mario said, you're going to have to be anal about keeping the prop in the water. In the end , the original owner of mine became so paranoid about blowing up units that he really lost all the joy in driving his the way it should have been.

In the end though , that wasn't a bad thing for me because the boat , despite it's age, had never been hammered to death.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:04 AM
Registered

thank you all.