72 sport winter project

Notices

72 sport winter project

Old 03-31-2014, 08:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 255 Likes on 110 Posts

Jim
Thanks for the link, Aaron's boat is a great looking magnum. I have a long way to go before I get the insert ready. I was caught off guard having the bottom being all glass. Gonna sand it down and see how it cleans up try to save the original pieces. If it doesn't work out I will be following Aaron's foot steps.

Greg
Old 03-31-2014, 08:56 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Greg I saw Mike over the weekend and was telling him about the work you been doing. I'll bring my ipad next time I see him to show him the progress. PM me your Phone number Mike lost it.

Mark
Old 04-01-2014, 07:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Mark PM sent. Showed wife the picture of the warpath and she wants to bring it back. If you come across any more photos please post them. Little TLC is becoming a big project!!!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The wood grain on insert

Hi, my insert had a paper thin zebra or teak decal under a clear finish that had since deterioated to nothing but flake. Through trial and error this is what I opted for. Finish the insert to absolute smooth no bumps or dipps. I found this product at the local graphic auto shop. Comes out of china. Its a vinly contact decal that is wide enough to cover the insert. I had to get a min of 15 ft. cost app 400.00 I went with Zebra. I swear this looks like a solid peice of wood with no seams in the grain. Use a heat gun to warm and roll edges over. For the clear finish I did a very light sand with water and 1000 paper. Be carefull, this vinyl is tough but you can sand through the grain. Spar varnish works good but you can not put it on thick and give it at least a week between coats. the longer it cures the better it sticks. Tried a 2 part epoxy. It also worked great. To eliminatwe the air bubbles, take a propane weed burner and dust the surface to remove the air bubbles from the epoxy. Some thing to do with the carbon dioxide in the burning of propane Buff out . Hope it helps.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Drake22.250
Mark PM sent. Showed wife the picture of the warpath and she wants to bring it back. If you come across any more photos please post them. Little TLC is becoming a big project!!!
I'll check with Jimmy aka Fox Hunter and see what he has

Mark
Old 04-01-2014, 02:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Lea magnit thanks for the information. Do you have any photos of your insert?
Old 04-02-2014, 08:55 AM
Registered

Still in storage. next time I get it out to stick more money in to it I will take some pictures. I have a few square ft. of feet of the vinly left. If you send an address I will get it to you so you can experiment as I did. I looked every where for some thing like the original. no luck. The great thing about this stuff is it is gaurennteed for 7 years in the sun and the assortment was in the 100's with colors and varities. I also skinned off the sliders on the port side.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:48 AM
Registered

I am about to open up my deck from the top and remove the filler that was put in the relief for this wood.
My deck shows cracks in the paint at the edge of where the wood is supposed to go, but I'm not certain I'll be able to accurately recover the original edges. Can anyone tell me how deep this relief in the original deck is supposed to be? And then from there how fake is the original plywood that was put in?
Old 04-04-2014, 12:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My insert was calked in big time. We used wood shims to work it out and didn't do any damage to deck. Under the insert is pretty ugly with cracks and blisters from not properly sealed. The insert on my magnum is thin maybe 1/4 inch. Will measure up this weekend and let you know Mario.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you ever finish the Magnum??? Bud

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.