Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Magnum Marine
Got my Maggie!!  Long term build thread intro... >

Got my Maggie!! Long term build thread intro...

Notices

Got my Maggie!! Long term build thread intro...

Old 08-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Scippy is right about the drain hole deal, they never treated them and they're almost always exposed to water at this point unless stored inside. Dont be afraid to drill some test holes in different areas of the transom. When that drill bit goes in , you will know what your dealing with right away. (Drill them on the inside and circle them with a perm marker so you can find them and fill them!) Good luck!!
Old 08-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would replace the transom and raise the x factor...by doing this you have eliminated many future problems. I agree with Skippy. Bud
Old 08-09-2014, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I drilled a series of holes around the drain hole from the inside, this is what came out on the drill bit as every hole:

Old 08-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Registered

How hard is it to remove the deck from the hull? is it tabbed in anywhere, or just screwed under the rub rail?
Old 08-09-2014, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine was tabbed at the bow for about the first 6 feet if that helps. Dont know when they started or if they always did it like this.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Pulling a deck

[ATTACH=CONFIG]527626[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]527627[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]527628[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]527628[/ATTACH]It just takes patience we did it on the Starfire that went to Italy.Reason it was to pull was in order to get to the 3 gas tanks, and then secured it properly all the way around with tabs. Were it was going decks come off in those seas.. Bud
Attached Thumbnails Got my Maggie!!  Long term build thread intro...-img_3703.jpg   Got my Maggie!!  Long term build thread intro...-img_3704.jpg   Got my Maggie!!  Long term build thread intro...-img_3708.jpg  

Old 08-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Bud..
You are right...anyway....
Last week Giancarlo Cangiano has been with me at the helm of the Starfire and teached me how drive it at 60 mph in ours waves....an experience for me and my younger son...then i tied to do same but after 5 min i was losing my right arm pushing and pulling gas!
Old 08-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

What you do have is big seas...tough and unforgiving . Your Friend Bud
Old 08-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Registered

Looking at the bilge I have a few questions, first of all there is a pad under the starboard engine next to the keel stringer, is this factory? mounting point for the bilge pump? or is it a patch of some sort? I am going to replace the transom, and have seen where people cut the stringers at a 45 degree angle to allow the new transom to be installed. Is this an acceptable method? It would save me the process of pulling the deck. I thought that if I did this I would sandwich all 3 stringers with 3/4" marine plywood on both sides all the way up to the fuel tank bulkhead. I realize it may be over kill, but besides the extra 40 Lbs is it going to cause any other issues? This would effectively make the stringers 2 1/4" thick all the way to the first bulkhead. Also looking at the outer stringers, what if I were to build a shelf to the side of the hull from the stringer, it seems this would make it easier to keep the bilge clean. As there is not much room on the transom and I plan on adding 2 trim pumps and 2 tab pumps, plus possible adding fresh water cooling, real estate is getting tight. Can I glass in some plywood on the hull sides so I can mount my pumps there, tied in with the shelves to the outer stringers? I think I'm going to try to mount the batteries under the cockpit floor behind the fuel tanks, there is a decent amount of room there that is not used, and I think I can make access holes in the cockpit floor under the back seat to get to them. Should I add the herringbone style reinforcement to the floor, or an extra stringer on each side? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to do this once!!

The "pad" under the starboard engine
Old 08-10-2014, 03:29 PM
Registered

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.