Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Magnum Marine (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/magnum-marine-63/)
-   -   New Guy & a 27 sport (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/magnum-marine/375443-new-guy-27-sport.html)

scippy 04-18-2022 12:14 AM

Parnell went by the screen name of "Nauti Kitty"....I happened upon Jim's old sport in a south NJ marina (Ortley beach)......Jim confirmed all the earmarks (lowered floor sitting on the same trailer)

Dubby 04-18-2022 06:37 AM

My boat has NJ numbers on it and now 3 people Jim, Skippy, and the guy I got it from have mentioned Parnell so now I am convinced. The story goes, Parnell brought them here to west Mi from NJ. He sold one ( now mine ) to the guy I got it from. He started a center console conversion on one ( Jim’s old one) and lost interest. He had it stored in my guys place. Then just gave it to him for storage owed. Now they were in the way and owner needed/ needs them gone.

I wish I had the room to get both of them. However I need 2 of them like I need another hole in my head. The lowered floor makes sense and clears up alot of my confusion. I couldn’t figure out why the stringers were cut down the way they are. I wish one of them was still sitting on a trailer. I had to bring it home on my Semi trailer. Now I’m on a trailer hunt so I can get into the pole barn to work on it. My semi can’t get down the driveway.l, and I don’t have the room for a boat to sit in my truck shop.

Dubby 04-18-2022 06:45 AM

To change the subject here a little. I don’t know as much as I’d like to about these boats yet. When did they change the whindshield from straight to pointed or was that an option?

madbouyz 04-18-2022 07:32 AM

If I'm not mistaken the earliest production 27 sports had the V shaped windscreen , and you don't see too many of them around . Then they changed to the straight across model.
As an example , if you didn't know the actual age of your boat and it had a V shaped windscreen you could safely assume that it was older than one with the straight across type.

Dubby 04-18-2022 05:20 PM

Mine is straight. I have just seen pics of some with the V, and was wondering. Mine is titled a ’71 however it has a NJZ in front of the 9 numbers for the MFG code. So it’s anybodys guess. As you stated you didn’t know of any outboards, so I have no clue if it’s even a real Mag.. there is no plate or numbers on the hull, nothing under the “windscreen”. The console is gone so I have no idea. Im 99.999% sure this is one of the ones Parnell brought from NJ as it has NJ numbers, and NJZ is a state issued HID from NJ. It does have the fuel Tanks way up in the front of the bow, and 2 more fuel fills,and cut outs in the stringers. One on either side of the front seats but no tanks in that location. Also has the lifting “cleats” tied to the stringer forward, and the transom aft. 100% possible it’s been converted at some point. I haven’t dug into that yet. Kinda cool trying to though!!!

thanks for all the info so far guys I really do appreciate it

PS I’m am Horrible at speaking and writing.. I was raised in New Mexico and there is 7 different types of English.and a million different “ism’s” spoken there.. lol please don’t Fry me for grammar I did not pay attention in school.

dammmagnum 04-18-2022 08:30 PM

Dubby,
My Sport was cut up into a center console after I had sold it. When i sold it, it was complete with new engines, wiring, pumping, trimmable Volvo drives with re-spine out put shafts and Merc Clever props and new hull and deck Imron paint. the drives were raised 2 inches. I will try and dig up photos after it was painted. it also had a new 3 man Biltrite drop seat bolster. Parnell made two trips to NJ to pick up the Sports. The last time, that I spoke to Parnell he was going to restore one and sell the other. Sounds like you got the Sport with the deck
Will work on some photos
Thank you

Dubby 04-18-2022 08:41 PM

Yeah it was definitely cut up!! I need to get my post count up so I can post photos ( if you even want to see them !!) I’m not sure how many posts I need but I think it’s 10. If that’s the case I’m close. I’ll post some pics of mine too

dammmagnum 04-19-2022 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by madbouyz (Post 4829362)
If I'm not mistaken the earliest production 27 sports had the V shaped windscreen , and you don't see too many of them around . Then they changed to the straight across model.
As an example , if you didn't know the actual age of your boat and it had a V shaped windscreen you could safely assume that it was older than one with the straight across type.

Madbouyz, If I remember correctly Roger Munn's Sport the Jolly Roger was a 1969 Sport and it didn't have the V shape deck.
Thank you

scippy 04-19-2022 02:07 PM

The V shaped windscreen of an optional order.......I don't believe one preceded the other.

madbouyz 04-19-2022 04:22 PM

Well , I did use the word 'mistaken' as a safety net :D

I thought that seeing the V windscreen used a different deck mold (and may have been the original deck design) once they changed to the straight across venturi style windscreen they didn't make any more Vs and discarded that deck.