alum head in upper chesapeake >

alum head in upper chesapeake

Notices

alum head in upper chesapeake

Old 09-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alum head in upper chesapeake

Who is running aluminum heads in the upper chesapeake area? I never go south of the Bay Bridge in Annapolis and need to rebuild my current heads. Any advice would help on if I should stay steel or if I can go aluminum.

jon
Old 09-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Registered

I boat around solomons area , My aluminum heads only lasted three years. Salt water ate them up and both motors hydrolocked the same day at the same time. I went back to steel. I also always flushed my motors
Old 09-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Registered

I have the aluminum Edelbrock heads, they have a hard black anodized coating to help resist salt corrosion, Im pretty sure its internal but you definately see it on the outside? Im mainly on the Potomac so the salt isnt that bad. They are just over two years old and look fine. Ive been in the bay a few times with this motor though.
MY .02
Old 09-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Registered

Had the same Eddy heads on my pleasure/ race boat for 5 years and they are still OK with new owner. There is an entirely new anti-corrosion treatment adapted from Military spec where they include some special ingredient into molten alum . Dart has these new heads in stock and they WILL not corrode
Attached Thumbnails alum head in upper chesapeake-camaro-062.jpg   alum head in upper chesapeake-s-f.jpg  
Old 09-17-2009, 01:40 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard anodize will be a big help, keeping temps cool will also help, corrosion rate increases as temprature increases. You will have less corrosion @ 0 degrees F than you will have @ 100 degrees F, and even @ 140 degress you will have significantly more than @ 100 degrees - Salt content is important to corrosion rates becuase increased conduictivity. If you have the means to flush with "salt away" or "Chrlorrid" then corrosion will not be an issue for the relatively small amount of time the engines are run.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:24 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I have AFR heads on my tiger, built 2 years ago and no problems, use saltaway while flushing and you're good to go.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Registered

activatorf1 - That picture on the left looks like the camden NJ marina? That was a great race wish they ran it more than once!

I have the dart pro 1 marine heads with the gold color corrosion protection. Been running them all year in the uper cheaspeak. Plan to leave it in the water overnight in Cambridge this weekend. I do have a flush port installed so I can flush with fresh water while boat is in the water. Have only ever flushed it with regular tap water. Plan to tear it down this winter I will post back with any corrosion problems.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Why not get aluminum heads and run closed cooling? Problem solved....
Old 09-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Registered

Yes it is Camden 05 , the second race we had there ( OPA ) . After the first race in 04 Camden MGT was so exictied by what we did for the town they wanted us to come back , that said when we agreed and when it came time to kick in money to cover some of our cost , council ran away . I saw first hand what a bunch of corrupt scum bags Camden was run by , go figure!!!

The last pic is Shortie and Bernie Lynch who ran the F-1 Green Activator
Attached Thumbnails alum head in upper chesapeake-12225.jpg   alum head in upper chesapeake-camaro-084.jpg   alum head in upper chesapeake-camaro-070.jpg  

alum head in upper chesapeake-camaro-067.jpg   alum head in upper chesapeake-dsc02005.jpg  

Last edited by activatorf1; 09-18-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Larry you should have kept that boat.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.