Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Mid Atlantic US (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/mid-atlantic-us-223/)
-   -   Good boat ramps? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/mid-atlantic-us/252077-good-boat-ramps.html)

Steve454 04-23-2011 10:58 PM

Good boat ramps?

Hi all -

I'm looking for some suggestions for ramps in my area that are in good shape and deep enough to launch my boat.

I have a 26' Donzi ZX on a dual-axle Fastload (bunk) trailer. I usually pull the trailer with a rear-wheel drive Silverado 1500, although I also have a 4-wheel drive Tahoe to use (when the wife lets me ;-) .

I live outside of Annapolis MD but have a home in Colonial Beach VA also. The public ramps in Colonial Beach are questionably deep enough, but the docks do not extend far enough into Monroe Bay for easy launching / loading. The ramp at the Colonial Beach Yacht Club is deep enough, but the concrete is in such bad shape I'm almost afraid I'll break one of the trailer axles.

Any information on ramps anywhere near Colonial Beach (or even Cobb Island on the MD side of the Potomac) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Steve454

offshoredrillin 04-24-2011 06:22 AM

at cobb island use shymansky's, right across from capt johns.

Dave M 04-24-2011 11:01 AM

If you can get on base, the ramp at Dahlgren is pretty decent.

Steve454 04-24-2011 09:20 PM

offshoredrillin and DaveM, thanks very much for the replies. Much appreciated!

Sydwayz 04-24-2011 09:22 PM

Does Aqualand have a decent ramp? I have not been there in a few years.

Linster 04-25-2011 05:31 AM

The camp ground in Monroe bay is good and always deep enough at any tide. The problem is parking the trailer there. They charge $10 a day. You may be able to cut a season pass. Our ramp is new and great, located acroos Monroe from Dockside. You have to be a member of the neighborhood association to use it though.

ENFORCER24 04-25-2011 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 3385652)
Does Aqualand have a decent ramp? I have not been there in a few years.

Its very steep , would work for most boats under 30 feet
the down side is there hours , opening around 6am and closing at 9pm , there gates are locked thruout the night

but they do have fuel , also can be an interesting adventure waiting for the fuel dock on a busy weekend

45sonic 04-26-2011 12:28 PM

Shymanskys is a good ramp. We launch a 45 Sonic from there with no problems, plus they have fuel and supplies if needed

Aqualand, never used it. Chuckels has so he might be able to answer that

chuckels 04-26-2011 09:55 PM

Its a piece of crap. Don't use it. Cost me 1000 to get props fixed. Nails sticking out of pier. If the wind picks up your screwed. Only used it cause I was running late to radar run.

Steve454 04-27-2011 10:10 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It's much appreciated.

I'm familiar with the Monroe Bay campground, although I've never launched from there. Easy enough for me to look into.

And Shymansky's definitely should not be a problem for me (26' boat) since you launch a 45' (Sonic. btw....nice)

If any of you see a white (with black and red trim) 20-something foot Donzi ZX running around the Potomac near Colonial Beach / Cobb Island....it might be me!

Thanks again everyone.