About Chesapeake Bay boating >

About Chesapeake Bay boating

Notices

About Chesapeake Bay boating

Old 12-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About Chesapeake Bay boating

Is my boat big enough for the Chesapeake Bay?
Where do you find information on wind speeds?
Looking at the Annapolis, MD area. Places to stay? Places to launch at? Good waterfront places to eat at?
Can you run open exhaust? I only ask because on the Illinois Chain we have to run silent.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Capt Nick,

Your boat is certainly big enough for the Bay here. There are many lower to mid 20 footers here. Don't get me wrong, there are the days that you just don't want to venture far, but for the most part there are lots of great areas to boat here in the Chesapeake.

Annapolis is a great area, can't say anything about ramps as we are in the water. Mears has a nice place right in Annapolis to stay at, then there are several places in Baltimore Harbor as well. You can pretty much be to a lot of places in 45 mins or less from Annapolis in you Baja.

From north to south you have the following:

Chesapeake Inn (C&D canal) nice lunch place, great ride up the canal
Nauti-Goose up the Northeast River
Jellyfish Joels at Mears in Fairlee Creek
Tolchester Marina Tiki Bar
Watermans', Harbor Shack in Rock Hall
Sunset Cove, Crazy Tuna, Riverwatch in Middle River
Hard Yacht in Bear Creek
Reckless Ricks in Curtis Creek
Red Eyes, The Jetty in Kent Narrows

This is just a few of the spots.....others may chime in with more.

Open exhaust is OK, My 34PC has thru hulls.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes I agree your boat is big enough to go around the bay, you just have to use our own discretion and pay attention to the weather. You would not enjoy being in baltimore and having to head back to Annapolis with a eastern or westerly wind and a following tide...you could make it but it wouldn't be fun!

By far the best ramp in the Annapolis area is Sandy Point state park and you can leave your vehicle overnight if you register it.

Along with the places mentioned above here are a few more...
Downtown Annapolis Harbor has dock age and the popular waterfront restaurant by boat is Pussers. But you can dock and walk to at least 20 other nice places from there.

If you go south one river from the Severn to the South river you can find Mikes(south) Crab House, YellowFin and Coconut Joes by water.

The next river/rivers down are The West and Rhode rivers. where you can find a couple places, my favorite is Thursdays.

Almost directly across the Bay from the Severn are a couple options...Hemingways and Kentmorr. These are situated on the west side of Kent Island.

Just north of the Bay Bridge on the West side of the bay is the Magathy River and you will find Deep Creek Restaurant. I believe there might be one more restaurant or two back in the river also.

I could go on, but unless your staying two weeks you have plenty listed already.

I will say that a cruise thru Kent Narrows and down to eastern bay is nice also...you can make a loop around Kent Island. Once in eastern bay you will find Lowes Warf inn. A nice place to hang out.

Also agree open exhaust is fine.

Hope this helps.

John

Last edited by jadento; 12-09-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Registered

Thank you all for helping me out there. Hopefully sometime soon. I know it would be a drive from where I live, but I think it would be worth it.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you'd like, join either the Chesapeake Bay Powerboat Association Facebook page or our website www.cbpba.com (free of charge) and you can see what we are up to throughout the season. We would be happy to welcome you to an event and maybe show you two or three places the same day. If nothing else we can help with logistics, a place to keep the rig, etc. We have a great group of boaters that are always willing to help out and meet new friends. We are blessed to have such a great place to boat and happily share it.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:30 AM
Registered

Threads and Jadento have good places to check out. As far as the winds I watch the evening news prior to the day I want to go out. They list the Bay conditions seperate from the rest of the weather. As for the main bay area around the bridges and south, When they are calling for 15-20 I stay north of Fairlee creek/Pooles island in my 29. I don't much care for getting banged around and two o'clock on any given day the south bay can get rough.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ted G
If you'd like, join either the Chesapeake Bay Powerboat Association Facebook page or our website www.cbpba.com (free of charge) and you can see what we are up to throughout the season. We would be happy to welcome you to an event and maybe show you two or three places the same day. If nothing else we can help with logistics, a place to keep the rig, etc. We have a great group of boaters that are always willing to help out and meet new friends. We are blessed to have such a great place to boat and happily share it.
Ted, thank you for mentioning about the Chesapeake Bay Powerboat Association. All the get togethers. It would be fun to meet some more of the boaters from the area. Thank you for mentioning about logistics and place to keep rig. What I would like to do is try to meet up with some of the other members of OSO for lunch. Check each others boats out, talk, eat, and take pictures as well.

Last edited by Captain Nick; 12-10-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fordf350
Threads and Jadento have good places to check out. As far as the winds I watch the evening news prior to the day I want to go out. They list the Bay conditions seperate from the rest of the weather. As for the main bay area around the bridges and south, When they are calling for 15-20 I stay north of Fairlee creek/Pooles island in my 29. I don't much care for getting banged around and two o'clock on any given day the south bay can get rough.
fordf350, thank you for letting me know about the wind conditions. It would be fun to go from Annapolis to Norfolk by boat.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Nick
fordf350, thank you for letting me know about the wind conditions. It would be fun to go from Annapolis to Norfolk by boat.
Captain,

When you decide to come our way and want to make the run from Annapolis to Norfolk I am in......
Old 12-10-2014, 09:44 PM
Registered

Badmonkey, thank you there. I'll have to wait on that one.

Again I just wanted to thank every one for their friendliness and hospitality.

Nick

Last edited by Captain Nick; 12-11-2014 at 05:01 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.