2018 SML Poker Run

Notices

2018 SML Poker Run

Old 03-12-2018, 12:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile 2018 SML Poker Run

Just a quick shout out and question on the May 18-19 poker run. I have been a participant and supporter of this event "forever" but have also watched participation go from full (75 max boats) in the early 2000's to something less that that for the last several years. So my shout out is to anyone looking for a great weekend on one of the most beautiful lakes in the entire country. I would surely love to see more great boats make the trip, would truly enjoy making new boating friends and I will assure you a great weekend of fun, camaraderie and water fun!

My question, for those that have either come and stopped or for those that have never come; is why? OK, our run doesn't take you 50, 60 or 90 miles. But it is in a great place, the event is always loaded up with great times, great people and boats. Sure would love to hear from you that you are coming (and have registered). For your convenience I am attaching a link to the SMLBA website where you can either sign up online or download forms to mail back in. LINK: Poker Run

If you used to come and stopped for any "solvable" reason, I sure would like to know that too. And just for the record, while I am a member of the SMLBA association, I am not an officer or affiliated in any other way except as a SML homeowner and performance boat owner that
- would love to see more cool, fast boats
- would love meet more people, like me, who are passionate about their boats
- would like to see our event enjoyed by as many as we can handle

I am sending my registration package in today and cannot wait to share my "new to me" 28 Eliminator Speedster with my new and old friends. Looking forward to seeing your many responses and many "I'm coming this year". See you in May.

Alan
Old 06-11-2018, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Alan,

Not sure I am much help to your thread, but have been going to SML for quite a few years... Never participated in the poker run, but recently bought a 30' Scarab Panther I am working on, and planning to be there next year! Was nice to still see a crowd show up this year in the rain, even if smaller. Everyone seems to get along great and have a fun weekend.

I would say maybe the weather, but if I remember correctly last year was almost perfect.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was at the run not this year but the prior year and had a great time! I know the turnout was smaller that year due to bad weather forecasting but it ended up being nice. I do not have a go fast boat anymore but may bring the center console next year! The room/location and facilities were nice!
Old 08-20-2019, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm looking to bring my Velocity 22. Tried to do it last year but couldnt make it happen. Love SML!
Old 09-25-2019, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm down for 2020 now that my boat is operational!
Old 11-23-2019, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

While we have done the run in the past, there are a variety of what I call safety and common sense issues that prevent us from participating in the run. While they try to be all inclusive of the entire boating community which is nice (powerboats, bass boats, pontoon boats, cruisers, and even houseboats) i think that in itself creates additional issues and may not be the right approach for this type of event. They have also had issues with and alienated a large group of Virginia power boaters from the surrounding waterways (James River, VA Beach, etc.) which might be a reason attendance is lower than it once was.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by drejustice
While we have done the run in the past, there are a variety of what I call safety and common sense issues that prevent us from participating in the run. While they try to be all inclusive of the entire boating community which is nice (powerboats, bass boats, pontoon boats, cruisers, and even houseboats) i think that in itself creates additional issues and may not be the right approach for this type of event. They have also had issues with and alienated a large group of Virginia power boaters from the surrounding waterways (James River, VA Beach, etc.) which might be a reason attendance is lower than it once was.
why would they alienate Virginia power boaters from the surrounding areas?
Old 11-23-2019, 11:41 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

A few years ago, one of the PR organizers/sponsors came barreling into his cove which was also a PR stop at his personal home. In doing so, he massively waked the entire cove which caused paint and fiberglass damage to several PR and spectator boats that were rafted at a nearby home.

It’s not not the only time he’s done so. 10 plus years or so back he did the same at another PR stop which was also a popular lunch eatery as well. He came in full tilt and yanked back AT the no wake bouys; again ravaging the docked/rafted boats.

The words that that were passed between this chump and others within the PR committee, participants, and other folks that everyone knows in the powerboat community at the lake really did a disservice to the overall success of the event long term. I’ve done that PR probably 15 times, and while we may go down that weekend to enjoy the lake and friends that come from near and far, the PR just has too much drama for the most part.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
A few years ago, one of the PR organizers/sponsors came barreling into his cove which was also a PR stop at his personal home. In doing so, he massively waked the entire cove which caused paint and fiberglass damage to several PR and spectator boats that were rafted at a nearby home.

It’s not not the only time he’s done so. 10 plus years or so back he did the same at another PR stop which was also a popular lunch eatery as well. He came in full tilt and yanked back AT the no wake bouys; again ravaging the docked/rafted boats.

The words that that were passed between this chump and others within the PR committee, participants, and other folks that everyone knows in the powerboat community at the lake really did a disservice to the overall success of the event long term. I’ve done that PR probably 15 times, and while we may go down that weekend to enjoy the lake and friends that come from near and far, the PR just has too much drama for the most part.
thanks Sydwayz for the clarification. We’ve been wanting to do this event but sounds like it’s best to pass. What a shame that one J.A. had to make things so difficult.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:27 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by badmonkey

thanks Sydwayz for the clarification. We’ve been wanting to do this event but sounds like it’s best to pass. What a shame that one J.A. had to make things so difficult.
Saw your reply a couple hours ago, noodled on it all afternoon...

I'm going to append my post, not edit.

You should do the Poker Run.
1) It's a great way to learn the lake.
2) It's a great way to find the best spots.
3) It's a great way to meet some folks that are regularly at the lake, especially with our style of boats.

SML is EASILY my favorite place in Virginia; hands down. It it were not for the SMLBA Poker Run damn near 20 years ago and a good OSO friend back in the day "CheckmateF1", I would have never made it down to SML. As it turns out, my now long time girlfriend, owned a condo at SML back then. We've since compared pictures (old school albums) and determined we'd been at the same Poker Run parties and raft ups in the early 2000s, and had each other in background pictures.

Don't let some bad stories from the past that involved relatively small numbers/parties dissuade you from attending and seeing one of the most beautiful spots on the east coast. There's a reason they call it the 'Lake Tahoe of the East.'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.