Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Midnight Express (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/midnight-express-202/)
-   -   Midnight Express Forum (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/midnight-express/141141-midnight-express-forum.html)

Enforcer2 09-30-2006 10:36 AM

Re: Midnight Express Forum

Found the test online in the September 2003 Issue of Powerboat mag. Can figure out how to download article on forum.

Check it out on line.

76.8 mph with quad 300X's

Here's some numbers that Midnight Express had on their site last year.

Twin 225 4 strokes 42-44
Twin 250's 47-50
Twin 300's 54-56
Triple 4 stroke 225 Yamahas 52-54
Triple 225 HP 2 strokes 55-57
Triple 250 57-60
QUAD 225 65-68

33ApacheCC 09-30-2006 02:38 PM

Enforcer, thanks.

So your boat performs similar to the newer 39's. That's good. 12,500 was sort of what I expected it to weigh. But 1000 gal fuel capacity is unreal! I had no idea there was even enough room in the boat for that much fuel. is there any room for a fish box? I can only assume this boat was built for a specific function, only. As big and heavy as they are they definitley need as much OB power as can be strapped on.

My Apache is quite heavy for a 33/34 footer. Don't know the exact weight but I'm going to guess it's 10,000 with triples and fuel. I do know I don't want more than 3 motors on the back and since the boat is de-rigged and motorless right now, I'm content to wait out the arrival of a bigger OB before continuing the resto. They say Merc, Yami and Evinrude will all introduce something over 300hp soon, but they sure are taking thier damn time. I may need to play with fuel placement too, as it's very stern heavy now. With the triple two strokes that were on it before and with full fuel, the boats' bracket was just about submerged. So if I go triple 4 strokes it might be wise to bring the tanks a bit forward and balance things out.

As far as speed goes, I don't have to be the fastest by any means, but I would like to be somewhere over 70 if possible. 50 just makes you feel like wanting to go 60, and 60 makes you want 70. I think I'll be happy in the 70 range, but the speed freaks all tell me I'll want more. One thing's certain though, NO big blocks. I'm happy as a clam being a CC guy and I like the ease of outboards.

I'm sure your boat simply plows through the snot. It's nice to be able to keep the throttles down when things kick up, isn't it? That's why we own these heavy, old school rides. They've got a ride and a character all thier own...

Enforcer2 09-30-2006 04:56 PM

Yeah she rides nice, it was definetly built for long range runnning in the rough stuff " when it absolutley positively has to get across the gulfstream overnight" :D

My last two boats, a 38 Bertram and 42 Ray Davis Sportfishers I use to operate as " part time" charter boats fishing out of Ocean City for Tuna and MArlin.

I have also owned other runabouts, CC's and sport boats with big blocks, but you are right, I can do everything with this boat and going from Diesels to O/Bs has been great.

The tanks are located throughout boat. I don't think theres an inch of empty cavity under the floor. The biggest tank runs from about 18" off of the transom to about 4' in front of the console. The next tank is deeper and butted up to the other and carries forward nearly to the bow, and I can't quite locate the two saddle tanks yet. (When I bought the boat a new floor was put in with no acess holes.)Yes, I had s drug dog search boat :eek:

I am going to be making oppossing L-Lounges for seating, fish box storage and dry storage n front of console and on bulkhead. I am also going to place a tackle station with sink on port side of console.

I have been playing around with using the two different tanks, I have found that it defiently rides better with fuel in front tank, but no too much fuel. Wuith quads it would be perfect.

The problem with the rear tank is that it is so close to the transom all of the fuel runs to the stern and drags it down. When I trasferred fuel last week from stern to bow, I gained neraly 3" of waterline at stern and picked up 1mph at top end. The visiblity and plannning time also improved drastically.

I think I am going to pick up several more mph when I raise the engines on the outers higher. I am turning the 24 Bravo ones at 5200 normal trim to 5600 trimmed way out and getting better speeds. If I can turn the 24's without excessive trim I'm sure I will see speed gains.

I found two midnight for sale with quads, ones a closed deck and the other is a dual console. Let me know if your interested.

Tony

33ApacheCC 10-01-2006 08:20 AM

[QUOTE=I found two midnight for sale with quads, ones a closed deck and the other is a dual console. Let me know if your interested.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tony,

Although I like the Midnights a lot, I really have to stick to my current project and get her done first. There are so many things you're doing to your boat that I'm going to need to do to mine it's not even funny. Tank placement, floor install with storage and fish boxes, bracket modification for more weight. I guess I'm just going to school on ya a little bit :)
Hope you don't mind

I like your idea about the forward L lounge seating. I've seen many midnights and intrepids with that design. I had a similar idea for mine where I was planning on using the starboard side for the L. But what was going to make this unique was that the corner piece of the L seating would be removable allowing you to walk freely around the console. It would be like a removable plug. On days when you need the seating up front you would just pop the seat in place and you've got the full L. But on days when you're fishing with 4 guys and NEED the walk around room for ease and fishability, you'd just remove the corner section plug and you've instantly turned your boat back into the standard CC design. You'd still have the seat directly in front of the console, and the there'd still be a bench along the starboard side (perhpaps collapsable), but with the plug removed it turns it back into a full walk around. I assume my idea was doable, and am still considering the idea of doing it, but we'll see.

One thing I will say about leaning out the motors is that I wouldn't go so far up to where you need to add scoops to get water in. Scoops pick up weeds and other debris. I had a boat that had them once, and never again. Plus they rusted off. Don't ask, it was the previous owner's doing.

Good luck with all your plans with the boat. Post pics of the floor, hatch work and seating as it happens. Also, I noticed that you're planning on modifying your existing bracket instead of buying new. If the bracket you have is an older one originally built for 3 motors, would you have any concern about it's strength to carry 4? I have a triple engine bracket made for the skinnier, lighter 2 stroke efi's. I was assuming I'd need to commission a new bracket to be built once I switched to the wider, heavier 4 strokes. But I don't want to sell off my existing bracket until I'm certain it's unusable with the new motors. It was built by Stainless Marine and is a pretty stout bracket.

Jim

Enforcer2 10-01-2006 09:58 AM

Hey Jim, Stainless Marine Brackets are heavy duty stuff. My boat actually had quads on it, the problem is that the Mercs of the 80's were a lot thinner. The new opti's and four strokes add a lot of width.

I've had my top plate off of the bracket and I have never seen anything like it. It is built like a grid. I've sent some picts to Alan Brown " Brownie" at Stainless Marine and he believes it's one of theres.

Brownie was also telling me that jst built a custom bracket for a Midnight like mine for quad 275 Verados. Apparently it's pretty trick. All of the wiring, cables and hoses are hidden in the bracket. Cost was about 5-6 G.

I thought about my seating arrangement for a long time. After going offshore fishing with friends and cruising in the bay with my wife and three kids, I defiently want the l-lounges to close off the one side and keep people in one spot.

It drives me nuts to have passengers always milling around on the deck. I have 20' of open deck space and there's a lot of room. I have found that passengers frequently like to stand right in the perhiperal area. I designed my Arch with no tube work or electronics box blocking my view for a specific reason,..too see.

I am going to have my leaning post modified for three adults with a bolster style seperation to keep them still. (I am a bit of a control freak.. :crazy:

As far as fishing goes, by the time I get my friends together and they ask permission to go fishing and complain about leaving at 5am and have to be back by noon and blah, blah blah...... .I rather just go Marlin fishin in the Canyons with one other person or profile around the docks and order a nice tuna steak and Mojito :drink: . It's a whole lot cheaper and less frustrating, besides you get too see a lot more little tuny's there then offshore :D

By the way this is my fifth redo, restore, refurb or as my wife says, ... f$$*#ing project boats in the last six years.
( by the way,she hates boats and boating)

I've done pretty good on making profits with my boats, I may have to keep this one. Let me know if you need anything.

Tony

33ApacheCC 10-02-2006 12:10 PM

LOL, I think you're right about the fishing.

And the seating argument you made makes a lot of sense too. Get them in front and SITTING DOWN and allow yourself the freedom to drive the boat unencumbered by view blocking passengers.

I think that's why the Intrepid 37 and the Midnight 39's began offering thier boats with that opition. It's a very functional floorplan and solves the problem of where to sit people comfortably in big a CC. To me, it's not a versitle boat if it's not comfortable. Yellowfin and Venture, who offer big fish boats with hardly anywhere to sit, are hurting themselves by not offering thier boats with more seating options in my opinion. Some of us want a big CC AND comfort for our passengers, too. My folks won't even come on board my boat becasue they're just not comortable on it. I think the L design is the answer.

And your boat has a lot of room to work with. I'm sure it will come out great.

I appriciate all your info, Tony. I hope you continue to post pics as your project moves along.

Jim

Enforcer2 10-03-2006 02:01 AM

Any time Jim :cool: , if you need anything let me know. I have a lot of different resources. I have a buddy in Florida that may be able to help you with some Apache stuff.

SEA YA Soon

Tony

DRIVEN1 10-04-2006 08:25 AM

[QUOTE=33ApacheCC]Driven, can you verify this? Any idea when? If they don't release it at the '07 Miami show then I guess I'll be going with the 300xs opti instead. Been waiting long enough for this rumored 350 to come out. I'm not so certainit ever will.

I was told this by the guys at Midnight express. I was also told this by the guys at Donzi. They have or are about to get some to start testing them. I know they did a big part of the testing on the 300xs on the 38 fishboat they have.

33ApacheCC 10-04-2006 12:36 PM

[QUOTE= I have a lot of different resources. I have a buddy in Florida that may be able to help you with some Apache stuff.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tony, when I start on this project again I'll be contacting you about your friend. I appreciate that!

Jim

Sydwayz 10-06-2006 09:32 AM

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/a...&stc=1&thumb=1
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/a...&stc=1&thumb=1

:D :(