Mississippi River boaters near Prairie Du Chien, Cassville, Guttenberg >

Mississippi River boaters near Prairie Du Chien, Cassville, Guttenberg

Notices

Mississippi River boaters near Prairie Du Chien, Cassville, Guttenberg

Old 08-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mississippi River boaters near Prairie Du Chien, Cassville, Guttenberg

Are there any loud exhaust restrictions on the Mississippi River between Prairie Du Chien, Cassville and Guttenberg? Anything else to watch out for in these areas. I'm a first timer to these areas. How about good places to stop and eat/get gas. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a Mississippi boater. I am located farther south in the quad cities IA/IL area. There are the normal rules of safe passing, courtesy, licensing, life jackets, and safe operation. They have had some budget cuts with the park rangers and DNR. So you will see more coast guard. The coast guard does not need any reason to inspect you or board your vessel. But no noise restrictions. No speed limit.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Registered

I boat pool 10 - Prairie Du Chein/Guttenberg, pool 11 - Cassville and pool 12 Dubuque/Bellvue and yes they will write you up for loud exhaust. I run through hull exhaust with baffles and have never been pulled over but I know of loader boats that have been written up. I participated in the Hawkeye Boat poker run this year and they wrote 28 load exhaust tickets.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:20 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

We lauched at Prairie Du Chein earlier in the year and traveled south. DNR had a Exhaust "sting" going. I was 4th in line to get a ticket. The guy right in front of me was just 2 decibels over the limit of 89 decibels and they gave him a ticket. I was way over (102 d) the limit so obviously got a ticket.

I too did the Hawkeye Boat Poker Run, but was never stopped, nor did I see any DNR, however we had stopped at one of the bars longer than the rest of the group, so we were sepperated from the run for about 20 minutes.......maybe I got lucky that day.?????

So yes.......DNR will ticket you for loud exhaust on the river!
Old 08-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Registered

i am sorry if i have given poor info. I looked into it and there are noise restrictions. I have never been stopped for it around here. I guess there are not enough complaints so, they do not enforce it around here. There are many crazy boats around here and well over the limit (im sure).
Old 09-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ultraboy
Are there any loud exhaust restrictions on the Mississippi River between Prairie Du Chien, Cassville and Guttenberg? Anything else to watch out for in these areas. I'm a first timer to these areas. How about good places to stop and eat/get gas. Thanks.
Hey, Im new to the site, but a veteran to the mississippi. Here are a few things to watch: Noise, wisconsin has the areas worst noise nazi, You will get a ticket and not a warning! Also always have a sober driver! and always stay between the bouys. Places to eat would be: A cant miss in the area is Glen haven, which is located above the guttenburg dam. 2 bars, Wacks and Randys(formerly Up the Street.) BTW dont eat at wacks, only Randys...this you will see when you arive and know exactly what I'm talking about!! This place is a saturday can't miss!!!!! But have a sober driver when you leave. Please Obey this, or else! Your next best stops are at Prairie due chien, either lake view or the winneshiek. And in the southern pool above dubuque there isn't much, however there is one great new and upcoming spot, the View at Mud Lake. Just north of Dubuque Ia. Nice docks and fuel, with a new facility. Good Luck, Say hi if you pass by.