Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Midwest (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/midwest-220/)
-   -   Illinois river sand bars? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/midwest/325540-illinois-river-sand-bars.html)

hogie roll 04-24-2015 07:34 PM

Illinois river sand bars?

My buddy is going to drive up to peoria from alton pool. I wanted to drive my boat down part of the way to meet him. Someone told me about a sand bar people camp and hang out on south a peoria where another river or creek intersects the Illinois. I want to say it's near Havana? Anyone have a clue what I'm taking about and what mile marker it would be?

Thanks

Knot 4 Me 04-27-2015 01:08 PM

North or South of Havana? There are spots to beach on either side of Havana. I'd think you'd want to be South of Havana if you are wanting to meet up with someone coming up from Alton but it just depends on how long you are wanting to travel with him. Since you have to lock thru Peoria (unless you are trailering to Pekin or Havana) I'll assume you'll want to meet him North of La Grange so you don't have to go thru 2 locks. There is a pretty nice beach between Havana and Browning. .

LA GRANGE LOCK/DAM ------- 80.2
BEARDSTOWN --------------- 88.5 E
BROWNING LANDING --------- 97.2 W
HAVANA ------------------- 120.0 E
LIVERPOOL ---------------- 128.0 W
KINGSTON MINES ----------- 145.5 W
PEKIN -------------------- 152.8 E
PEORIA LOCK/DAM ---------- 157.8

hogie roll 05-02-2015 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 4297424)
North or South of Havana? There are spots to beach on either side of Havana. I'd think you'd want to be South of Havana if you are wanting to meet up with someone coming up from Alton but it just depends on how long you are wanting to travel with him. Since you have to lock thru Peoria (unless you are trailering to Pekin or Havana) I'll assume you'll want to meet him North of La Grange so you don't have to go thru 2 locks. There is a pretty nice beach between Havana and Browning. .

LA GRANGE LOCK/DAM ------- 80.2
BEARDSTOWN --------------- 88.5 E
BROWNING LANDING --------- 97.2 W
HAVANA ------------------- 120.0 E
LIVERPOOL ---------------- 128.0 W
KINGSTON MINES ----------- 145.5 W
PEKIN -------------------- 152.8 E
PEORIA LOCK/DAM ---------- 157.8

Sweet, thanks for the tips!

Wasted Income 06-17-2015 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by hogie roll (Post 4296538)
Someone told me about a sand bar people camp and hang out on south a peoria where another river or creek intersects the Illinois. I want to say it's near Havana? Anyone have a clue what I'm taking about and what mile marker it would be?

Thanks

That would be Mackinaw Beach. It's right where the Mackinaw River flows into the Illinois River. It's actually a pretty decent beach, and there are usually a lot of people hanging out there on the weekends.

Its not very far south of pekin....just a bit north of Kingston Mines.