Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Midwest (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/midwest-220/)
-   -   Best Bowriders on the Big Lakes (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/midwest/352020-best-bowriders-big-lakes.html)

JaayTeee 01-30-2018 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by MullenTJ86 (Post 4607541)
I'm not doubting that tooners are everywhere (on lakes), they're cheap/big party platforms, heck my wife would have us in one if it were up to her. I'm simply stating, that small performance v-bottoms are designed to handle rougher water than a tooner, especially at higher speeds, giving more safety to you and your pax...and they're sexier.

the majority of the boats that the O.P. ( which I haven’t ruled out as being Darr, this fits his MO )was asking about were runabouts, not really going to do anything better than the toons and really don’t carry that much sex appeal ;-).... Cheaper?.... go price one of these, they’re right with the 1 dimensional wake board/ surf boats

rak rua 01-30-2018 05:40 PM

OP?

Bueller...?

Bueller.....?

Bueller.......?

Bueller.........?

MullenTJ86 01-30-2018 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by JaayTeee (Post 4607667)
the majority of the boats that the O.P. ( which I haven’t ruled out as being Darr, this fits his MO )was asking about were runabouts, not really going to do anything better than the toons and really don’t carry that much sex appeal ;-).... Cheaper?.... go price one of these, they’re right with the 1 dimensional wake board/ surf boats

Apparently I struck a cord with Pontoon Nation here, noted. :silenced:

I've seen the price on some of those tritoons, can reach triple digits (insane), but that's more because of the o/b(s) behind them, BassPro has them for $20k. All in what the buyer is willing to pay I suppose.

I've never done LOTO, but all the talk of how rough it gets on the weekends (I won't go there), I correlated that to Lanier (Atlanta), which is like a bathtub come the weekend, 50'+ cruisers making 4' monsters. And yes, the pontooners are everywhere on Lanier...and they don't fare too well on the busy weekends, neither do I in an 8000lbs 28' v, but I manage better than most.

First tooner to pass me on the lake/ocean, I'll buy you and your crew a round.
Cheers!

JaayTeee 01-30-2018 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by rak rua (Post 4607674)
OP?

Bueller...?

Bueller.....?

Bueller.......?

Bueller.........?

original poster

rak rua 01-30-2018 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by JaayTeee (Post 4607684)
original poster

Yeah, the OP (not Darr or Ferris). Some good info here but no word.
I think an approximate price range is needed.......

3pointstar 01-30-2018 07:36 PM

Ok I need to voice my 2cents! If you could find a Cobalt I would do that hands down- a 262 would be large enough for Lake Michigan and small enough for most inland lakes. We have been blessed with a 2000 -226. This year the boat will be 18 years old - I'm not joking I have not tightened 1 screw or replaced ANY hardware or tightened one bolt. I'm anal retentive about keeping the boat clean and the hull is waxed at least twice per season- it sits on a lift in an inland lake. The stringers, transom and floor are all composite- e.g. NO ROT. We have used ours on lake Michigan a number of times (much less than I would like) and it is rock solid. With our size we just can't say lets go to the big lake - all the stars need to align - but in a 262 - that would be a different story.

Don't get me started about toons- they have their place and some of them are over the top with speed, comfort etc. But not on lake Michigan - that is an accident waiting to happen -- I know this will upset some readers - again this is my opinion.

As with any boat make sure you get a survey done - and if there is a hint of problem walk away- small things cost big bucks in the future. Also, I would try to get the biggest engine on the planet. You can never have too much Hp. We have a 7.4 MPI - Bravo 3 - Corsa Silent Choice. 28P 3 blade props- which is a very modest engine on this website- Cool air and water 1/2 tank of fuel with a slight chop - 63 mph on GPS.

All the very best

3pointstar

MonkeySea2 01-31-2018 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by 3pointstar (Post 4607704)
Ok I need to voice my 2cents! If you could find a Cobalt I would do that hands down- a 262 would be large enough for Lake Michigan and small enough for most inland lakes. We have been blessed with a 2000 -226. This year the boat will be 18 years old - I'm not joking I have not tightened 1 screw or replaced ANY hardware or tightened one bolt. I'm anal retentive about keeping the boat clean and the hull is waxed at least twice per season- it sits on a lift in an inland lake. The stringers, transom and floor are all composite- e.g. NO ROT. We have used ours on lake Michigan a number of times (much less than I would like) and it is rock solid. With our size we just can't say lets go to the big lake - all the stars need to align - but in a 262 - that would be a different story.

Don't get me started about toons- they have their place and some of them are over the top with speed, comfort etc. But not on lake Michigan - that is an accident waiting to happen -- I know this will upset some readers - again this is my opinion.

As with any boat make sure you get a survey done - and if there is a hint of problem walk away- small things cost big bucks in the future. Also, I would try to get the biggest engine on the planet. You can never have too much Hp. We have a 7.4 MPI - Bravo 3 - Corsa Silent Choice. 28P 3 blade props- which is a very modest engine on this website- Cool air and water 1/2 tank of fuel with a slight chop - 63 mph on GPS.

All the very best

3pointstar

A Cobalt dealer once told me the 226 is the fastest hull Cobalt made. I remember looking at one with a 502 MPI and it was hitting 70 on GPS

cougarman 01-31-2018 11:25 AM

Have you looked at the ( Eliminator Fun Deck ) they come in several sizes too.

2007 Eliminator Fundeck powerboat for sale in North Carolina

eichhoma 02-13-2018 03:01 PM

As far as bowrider's go, we used to have a 2002 Baha Cruisers Mach 1.... a 340 Bowrider....
It was a big heavy boat that had twin 454's.... it could get up to the upper 50's but was definitely not a speed demon...
But it had a huge open bow and the ride was really nice because it was so big and heavy...
We really liked ours but found later that a closed cabin was just a better fit for us but it was the roomiest and nicest riding bow rider I had ever been in.
Just my $.02

ToMorrow44 02-16-2018 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by MullenTJ86 (Post 4607678)
Apparently I struck a cord with Pontoon Nation here, noted. :silenced:

I've seen the price on some of those tritoons, can reach triple digits (insane), but that's more because of the o/b(s) behind them, BassPro has them for $20k. All in what the buyer is willing to pay I suppose.

I've never done LOTO, but all the talk of how rough it gets on the weekends (I won't go there), I correlated that to Lanier (Atlanta), which is like a bathtub come the weekend, 50'+ cruisers making 4' monsters. And yes, the pontooners are everywhere on Lanier...and they don't fare too well on the busy weekends, neither do I in an 8000lbs 28' v, but I manage better than most.

First tooner to pass me on the lake/ocean, I'll buy you and your crew a round.
Cheers!

Yeah dude, you obviously don’t know the rough/choppy water capabilities of today’s pontoons...hands down this is the boat I want to be on when the shootout lets out in August.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oiXCQQ...ature=youtu.be