Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Midwest
Skater or MTI Cat ride better on LOTO water >

Skater or MTI Cat ride better on LOTO water

Notices

Skater or MTI Cat ride better on LOTO water

Old 04-10-2020, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

The problem is the average guy looks at boats by the length as they’re designated by their manufacture. Simple fact is you can’t compare the boats using that number and to compare rough water capability with equal tunnel length and height you should be comparing a Skater to a 4-8ft larger (as advertised) MTI.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:04 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

If my 3212 Skater gets it done then either 40 is like cake.

Here is a good video of us but the middle two mins of this will really give you a feel.

The following users liked this post:
abones (04-11-2020), bigfarmer (04-11-2020), FiberglassArt (05-21-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 08:40 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I've ridden in Orthobams 40 Skater and ridden in a 42 MTI both at over 100mph. The Skater felt more solid and was a deeper boat. The water was rougher when I rode in the Skater. Thanks again Brett!!!!!! think a lot of that had to do with the Skater being a conventional type layup. The MTI rode fine. It just felt like I was sitting very low, like in a jet boat, and had the typical epoxy sound to it when it hit waves. I've also seen lots of MTI's eating up rough water just like the rough water that Orthobam posted.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for all the comments. I think I will stay with the Skater brand. Need a bit of time to recover and see where I am after the virus but I am convinced now that the skater is the brand I need to look for.

Thank you
Mike
Old 04-17-2020, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by formula 382
Thank you for all the comments. I think I will stay with the Skater brand. Need a bit of time to recover and see where I am after the virus but I am convinced now that the skater is the brand I need to look for.

Thank you
Mike
What length Skater would be on your radar?
Old 04-20-2020, 11:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by abones
What length Skater would be on your radar?
40' Skater with 1100's

Mike
Old 04-20-2020, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Yes, that would be a very nice setup. I was fortunate enough to get a ride on one a few years ago on Lake Havasu, what a great ride.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 407 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by formula 382
I have been lurking around wanting a cat for years. I own a house at LOTO. I am wondering from people who really know, which of these two boats are best suited for LOTO. I have heard from each side on the topic but have not heard from anyone that has really either had each boat or rode in each boat. I am leaning towards the Skater due to the fact I found right length with right power. But I want a boat to handle the water that LOTO throws at a boat. Please let me know your thoughts and what experience you have to make your comment.

Thanks Mike
Buy a 51 or 57 Sea Ray.... if you want a good ride on LOTO , especially on the weekend. Used to run around on a 47 diesel power the whole deal... Was not uncommon to rattle the windows every now and then with the waves.. Just kidding, I guess the only way you will know would be to test them both and buy what you like. It is just a matter of taste for each one or for that matter what you are willing to pay to play. I see guys run up and down all day long running the snot out of their equipment, dogging PWC's, pontoons and everything between one side of the lake and the other. Be safe and don't be that guy that we have to scrape off the bottom.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:45 PM
Registered

Thanks Helmhursts. Also abones, the boat I am wanting is on lake Havasu. I actually bought it then the virus stuff happened. I feel bad leaving him hung up a bit but I have to take care of my employees first before I get to play. I think it will work out in the end. Thank you to all that chimed in. I promise not to be that guy scraped off the bottom of the lake.

Mike
Old 04-22-2020, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 407 Likes on 241 Posts

Thank you for taking care of your employee's first. I am sure the guy does not mind the slight delay. Everything is being delayed some right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.