Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   MTI (Marine Technologies) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/mti-marine-technologies-144/)
-   -   Mercury 700's with stage 3 whipples (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/mti-marine-technologies/364103-mercury-700s-stage-3-whipples.html)

formula 382 12-04-2019 05:01 PM

Mercury 700's with stage 3 whipples

Are the Merc 700's with stage 3 whipples enough motor for a 40" MTI. I am not an experienced cat owner but don't want a sloppy boat. No need to run over 125 mph (yet) so wanting opinions from experienced operators. Let me know your thoughts.

Mike

FastVee 12-09-2019 01:14 PM

Merc 700's are good motors, and yes you will get 125 MPH with the stage 3's. You will just need to be ok with slower acceleration & working the motors harder at cruise speeds. If you take a ride in a MTI with 1075's (or better yet with the newer Merc Turbo motors), you will realize there's a big difference.

To each their own, but if you have a little extra coin the trend is definitely towards the turbo motors for overall ease of driving and resale value, etc.

Kelly O 12-24-2019 10:19 PM

First time cat owner might be wise to get insurance availability and cost for the 700 boat vs. the bigger powered versions.

A 40 with Stage 3 700’s will run fine, need a little more description of what ‘sloppy’ is considered.

As Fastvee said, the torque of the turbo engines takes these hulls to new levels of acceleration and cruising efficiency but it comes with a much greater cost to purchase and maintain.

formula 382 12-29-2019 06:55 PM

I am looking at a 38' MTI with 1100's this weekend coming up. I think that is more of the boat I need to own.

Mike

speicher lane 12-30-2019 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by formula 382 (Post 4720093)
. I think that is more of the boat I need to own.

Mike

That notion will only last a few weeks....Once you get comfortable with the power and the characteristics of the handling, you may appreciate the extra top end available besides, it costs a lot more to upgrade boats and power than to buy it the first time around

Merc QC or other power?

FastVee 01-06-2020 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by speicher lane (Post 4720134)
That notion will only last a few weeks....Once you get comfortable with the power and the characteristics of the handling, you may appreciate the extra top end available besides, it costs a lot more to upgrade boats and power than to buy it the first time around

Merc QC or other power?

I agree with this advice. If your able to - it is more enjoyable, less hassle, and cheaper in the long run to just buy the boat that you really want the first time.

302Sport 01-06-2020 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by FastVee (Post 4720802)
I agree with this advice. If your able to - it is more enjoyable, less hassle, and cheaper in the long run to just buy the boat that you really want the first time.

The other side of the arguement is that its going to be hundreds of thousands cheaper in the long run to buy and maintain the 700 vs QC4V boat.....