Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   MTI (Marine Technologies) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/mti-marine-technologies-144/)
-   -   34 MTI Thoughts and Opinions (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/mti-marine-technologies/365968-34-mti-thoughts-opinions.html)

39gts 04-23-2020 08:13 PM

34 MTI Thoughts and Opinions

After owning several v-bottom hulls such as Sutphen, Fountain, and several Cigarettes, I am thinking of jumping into a cat. Preferably a 34 foot MTI would 400Rs or 450Rs. Problem is the wife is not a fan after watching the two cats with outboards flip in Key West last year.

Just curious about comfortability, safety factor, and the overall ride and handling.

Any thoughts and opinions would be helpful.

cowisl 04-27-2020 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by 39gts (Post 4735279)
After owning several v-bottom hulls such as Sutphen, Fountain, and several Cigarettes, I am thinking of jumping into a cat. Preferably a 34 foot MTI would 400Rs or 450Rs. Problem is the wife is not a fan after watching the two cats with outboards flip in Key West last year.

Just curious about comfortability, safety factor, and the overall ride and handling.

Any thoughts and opinions would be helpful.

They are beautiful boats. The new OB cats are hard to beat as far as reliability, ease of towing, wind protection, etc. I dont think you can go wrong. Get her a ride in one...

39gts 04-27-2020 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by cowisl (Post 4735798)
They are beautiful boats. The new OB cats are hard to beat as far as reliability, ease of towing, wind protection, etc. I dont think you can go wrong. Get her a ride in one...

Thanks for the reply cowisl. Do you own one or know someone who owns one?

Wondering how they handle the chop and rough conditions.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

cowisl 04-28-2020 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by 39gts (Post 4735946)
Thanks for the reply cowisl. Do you own one or know someone who owns one?

Wondering how they handle the chop and rough conditions.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Of course.Yes and yes. I have a 28' skater and my good friend has a 36' DW and had a 32' DW. Our other buddy just ordered the 39' MTI.

Lake or ocean boating? Lake- handles the chop very well. We have done the KW run several times in the 36'. . tough to beat cruising at 100mph for an hour!

Brad Zastrow 05-08-2020 05:27 PM

I have owned over a dozen cats including a 39 MTI. Many were outboard cats. My wife and I far prefer cats over V hulls for the ride quality. Yes I have owned a few V hulls such as Allison, Fountain, Sonic, Pantera, etc. Just do not care for them. A responsible driver in a high speed pleasure cat should never have an issue. Not buying a cat because two crashed at the Key West Races is like saying I will not buy a fast car because I saw a crash in Nascar. Race conditions are far different than pleasure boating. The two outboard cats that blew over was caused by the two boats were far too close to each other and the air from the sides of the each boat caused too much lift on each boat. I have heard nothing but praise about the 34 MTI.