2013 B V I Leverick Bay Run - P H O T O S >

2013 B V I Leverick Bay Run - P H O T O S

Notices

2013 B V I Leverick Bay Run - P H O T O S

Old 05-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gotpwr
I can vouch for that. The boat with the red top in the first slip is the boat I chartered from St. John for the day. That day was the highlight of my vacation. I even ran into "Bobthebuilder" on the beach and introduced myself. After meeting Bob I found my boat captain, and he had ran into his girlfriend "Ali" from Tortola. It turns out that she was riding on Bob's boat! Small world.
And did that story get more interesting as the day went on...
Old 05-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Special thanks to David Brick "Expat" for being a great host while staying at Saba Rock.
If you're looking for a true getaway it's hard to beat.

TS
Old 05-29-2013, 02:36 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gotpwr
I can vouch for that. The boat with the red top in the first slip is the boat I chartered from St. John for the day. That day was the highlight of my vacation. I even ran into "Bobthebuilder" on the beach and introduced myself. After meeting Bob I found my boat captain, and he had ran into his girlfriend "Ali" from Tortola. It turns out that she was riding on Bob's boat! Small world.
Yes sometimes too small. LOL

Ali and Quasi ( sp?) who I have known for a few years now from Tortola

BVI pr 2 by bobthebuilder707, on Flickr
Old 05-29-2013, 02:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by salesmanship
Special thanks to David Brick "Expat" for being a great host while staying at Saba Rock.
If you're looking for a true getaway it's hard to beat.

TS
Well said, Terry. David is not only a great host but has become a great friend as well. It was David who enticed me to come down to BVI after posting pictures of the 2008 BVI Leverick Bay poker run. It opened a whole new world to me and I will be forever grateful. Was great to spend time with so many including Jay & Terry.
Bob
Old 05-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great pix. The poker run is always a blast. Bob, I didn't get a chance to say hello - boats looking good! How can we convince some of these other folks to make the journey down from So Florida to join us next year???
Old 05-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem for most of us is the time to get down there and the time of year, it is often rough this time of year which would make for an uncomfortable 1200+ mile ride, I can do it in two tanks more or less but that means close to $7500 worth of fuel roundtrip (1200 gallons back and forth and 300 down there running around x $5 gal) That is about what a spend on fuel in a year where I do a lot of trips. Maybe at some point in the future when I can take more time from work and make my way down island to island and enjoy the trip more it will be worth the effort, but it really is a trip I would rather do in July or August when the seas are relatively calm.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by pstorti
The problem for most of us is the time to get down there and the time of year, it is often rough this time of year which would make for an uncomfortable 1200+ mile ride, I can do it in two tanks more or less but that means close to $7500 worth of fuel roundtrip (1200 gallons back and forth and 300 down there running around x $5 gal) That is about what a spend on fuel in a year where I do a lot of trips. Maybe at some point in the future when I can take more time from work and make my way down island to island and enjoy the trip more it will be worth the effort, but it really is a trip I would rather do in July or August when the seas are relatively calm.
Just a few comments. In my diesel 50 Nor Tech the fuel cost southbound in 2010 from Ft Lauderdale to BVI was almost $ 5,000.00 so you are pretty close with your estimate of $ 7,500.00 round trip in your diesel Spectre CC. What I found was that I can ship via Sea Star Lines for about the cost of fuel for the trip which came to $ 11,000.00 this year. We have been shipping in Feb the last few years and try and spend at least a week to 10 days a month down there during Feb / March / April and then the grand finale poker run in May before wrapping it up for the season. The benefit of shipping is you avoid the uncertainty of the weather especially with the constant trade winds out of the east that never seem to let up. Once in the shelter of the Islands there is a ton of boating to be done and I can't think of a day I could not get out because of the 15 - 20 knot winds except for deep water crossings to St Maarten etc. My insurance company wants the boat out of there by June 1st as we enter hurricane season, however once again I got an extension for a couple of weeks to get it back to FL.
To send a boat to the Islands really takes it out of commission as far as boating in the US and Canada for a fairly lengthy period of time just as the season is starting in the northern States / Provinces. It is best suited to someone that has a couple of boats and the flexibility to travel. Shipping only takes a week south and another back north and then add the time down there. It is an experience of a lifetime tho and I have priceless memories that I will never forget. If you can do it at some point in your life, I highly recommend it. If anyone is considering it next year, please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to help with any logistics.

Bob
Old 05-29-2013, 08:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

See how easy that was? Now, you have no excuses.

Also, too:

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 05-29-2013, 08:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Proud of this one-
hand held from a moving boat.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Just to compliment Jay's night time picture and give a bit of background, one night under a full moon we loaded Team PREDATOR up with 12 people and headed west about 12 miles to Spanish Town and had dinner at the new Coco Maya restaurant. As Jay's picture shows the waterway was lit up pretty good but we did encounter a boat on our route with no lights on. T2X spotted it as he and others kept a watchful eye out. Was way cool to cruise along with the tunes playing in the tropics. Check the swing at the bar in pic 1. Neat.

bvi 2013 pr 50 by bobthebuilder707, on Flickr

bvi 2013 pr 51 by bobthebuilder707, on Flickr

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 05-29-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.