Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Nordic
Questions for "faster" Flame owners (kinda long) >

Questions for "faster" Flame owners (kinda long)

Notices

Questions for "faster" Flame owners (kinda long)

Old 05-06-2008, 04:58 AM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave

Been hiding, trying to get this house project finished before Memorial week end.

I think the nose cones help over 85 MPH. If nothing else they improve slip/ Gary had them on when I got the boat. They definatly need to be low water pickup, I like the WPM style.

I do not think shorties would work. When I ran 93 two years ago, the props would blow out above 6 on the tabs. The drives are pretty high to start.

A 555/675HP would get close to 100. Mine had 570 HP on the dyno and would GPS at 93 pretty consistant with an average load. On a cool evening low fuel, I did hit 95 once. So 70HP gat the boat from 88 to 93, 5MPH. I would guess these engines will get the boat to 98 with 100 more HP. This are sea level numbers that I saw.

A whipple will get the 100 easy I would think. Blowers keep that torque curve up. They have gotten real pricey. Seems like they really need dyno tuning to run good. That throws in some extra bucks.

Props, I got away from the labbed ones. The one I got from Gary that came from Mercury worked well but there gets some sticks in the water here and they dinged up easy. We are having just as good results with stock ones a local prop shop balances them, trues the blades, and starightens out the tailing edge.

With stock 500EFI's which I am back to, I do not need the tabs at all. I trim up three notches as the boat nears top end I bump it up another 1-2, and can get 88 out of it most days. When i had the other motors, I would need to set the tabs level to keep the boat stable above 90.

I do not believe the 572 will get 107 or what ever was said. A good 572 will do 700 HP. That would get the deal proabally to 100 on a GPS. I like a tall deck 572 square. If you are starting new, it does not costs much more that a 555. The disadvange to a 572 is that the piston speed increases with the extra stroke, getting the cam timing to match I think requires a little more agressive ramp.

Good luck, Keep us posted
Old 05-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a small comment: We've got a modest 35
with twin 575SCi, seen 95 by typically does 90 with
our fat loads.

We tried some speedmaster lowers a couple of years
ago, with no drive height change, and they made no
noticeable difference in speed or handling. Went
back to stock lowers and sold the speedmasters.

Pesky Varmint
Old 05-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pesky Varmint
Just a small comment: We've got a modest 35
with twin 575SCi, seen 95 by typically does 90 with
our fat loads.

We tried some speedmaster lowers a couple of years
ago, with no drive height change, and they made no
noticeable difference in speed or handling. Went
back to stock lowers and sold the speedmasters.

Pesky Varmint

Jerry,
I think we saw you floating out in that mess in front of Copper Canyon on Saturday during the shootout. We had to launch clear down at some campground and run back up the lake becuase the ramps were full and we had some issues getting out of the water at Sight 6 the day before. Not good for low slung trailers

Do you know of that Flame from Havasu Customs? You think those numbers are good; He seemed to be a bit optimistic about things ;o)

Thanks,
Dave
Old 05-07-2008, 04:37 AM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

I think Gary told me he gets 91 with 525's and has bumped 93 on good days.

I always liked the 575's Pesky has. Very rare motors for the Flame. How did they get it to fit or was it low enough to fit stock? If they custom fit them can you post a couple of pictures? I have been keeping my eyes open for a pair of them if they were floating loose.

I can not wait to see what Dave does. I like that closed loop EFI system he is using. After you decide, lets us know the direction
Old 05-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Dave

Any Direction yet?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Linster
Dave

Any Direction yet?
Hey Linnie,
I feel like a ping pong ball so I need to pick a direction ASAP before I go nuts
Right now I'm leaning towards building ground up 565's or 598's. The only thing holding me back from the 598s is envelope dimensions. I have CMI Sport Tubes and CMI tells me that with the tall deck and AFR heads I will be at <34.5 wide and 24.1 Tall. I need to measure my 496s this weekend to see where they are at so I can compare. My air cleaner will obviously sit a bit higher than this so I would really like to know how Nordic does the hatch on 575SCi, 600SCI or 700SCi. I could probably have a conversation with Steve Z and kind of get a feel for the mods he has done or call Nordic and hopefully find someone from the past era that has some experience with this. Gaining an inch on the hatch is simple just by blocking the hinge up along with the side rails. This would also allow for some additional air on the back side. I have done this on a couple of Heats with no problem and the hinge set up would be even easier on the Flame. If I had to move the ram I don't think it would be an issue either.
Also, I would probably be right on the ragged edge of the Sport Tubes at 598ci. I'm not one for saying just because someone else does it, it's OK, but GT, Pfaff, etc all get away with E-Tops on their big inch NA motors but I'm sure it's a cost factor rather than an optimum move there however. Bottom line is I feel the Sport Tubes, although not optimum, will get it done as they are a bit better for a NA motor than the E-Tops. They sure look cool!
Now if someone would come along soon and tell me they would like to work out a fair deal for 502MPIs for my 496HOs my direction would take a twist to the Whipple side Dean??

I'll call you this morning Linnie...
Thanks,
Dave

Anyone have a pic of 525s in a Flame that show the Sport Tube clearance on the outside edges of the engine compartment?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Linster
I think Gary told me he gets 91 with 525's and has bumped 93 on good days.

I always liked the 575's Pesky has. Very rare motors for the Flame. How did they get it to fit or was it low enough to fit stock? If they custom fit them can you post a couple of pictures? I have been keeping my eyes open for a pair of them if they were floating loose.

I can not wait to see what Dave does. I like that closed loop EFI system he is using. After you decide, lets us know the direction

Nordic custom built our engine hatch. There are recesses
where each of the flame arrestors go up into. On the outside
you can see it is raised a few inches compared to normal but
pretty stealth.

Pesky Varmint
Old 01-31-2009, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Pesky, can you send pictures of your hatch?
Old 02-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Registered

Here are some pics of my hatch mods for your reference. Sounds like Pesky's are a dual version of mine. This really turned out nicely, because the hatch/sunlounge is flatter to sit and lay on, and I was able to get more air to the motor with a central, rear facing air intake.
Also pictured is the inside view of vent(s) I put in the front edge/upper seatback of the hatch.
I gelcoated or clear resined all the wood I added for water resistance.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Questions for &quot;faster&quot; Flame owners (kinda long)-hatch-rebuild-lower-small-.jpg   Questions for &quot;faster&quot; Flame owners (kinda long)-hatch-rebuild-upper-small-.jpg   Questions for &quot;faster&quot; Flame owners (kinda long)-hatch-vent-2-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 02-01-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Registered

Here are pictures of the hatch/seatback billet intakes from the cockpit side. These are Eddie Marine slim line purple billets on purple vinyl. These 2 front vents, plus 3 in the rear seem like plenty of cool fresh air now.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Questions for &quot;faster&quot; Flame owners (kinda long)-billet-intake.jpg   Questions for &quot;faster&quot; Flame owners (kinda long)-billet-intakes.jpg   Questions for &quot;faster&quot; Flame owners (kinda long)-fountain-nordic.jpg  

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 02-01-2009 at 09:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Questions for "faster" Flame owners (kinda long)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.