Considering a 28 Heat

Notices

Considering a 28 Heat

Old 07-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a 28 Heat

Hello folks,

I am looking for a 28 ft sport boat for my wife and I, but am on the fence as to which boat get. I have been looking at the Donzi 28ZX's for a while, however, have been recently been looking at the Nordic Heats. I don't want to get into a discussion as to which boat is better, but am simply looking for objective information which to base my decision off of.

To further complicate things, with the Heat boats, I like the open bow idea, but don't like how you are actually committed to a truly open boat in the sense that you can't seal off the middle section. I know about the bow cover, but the aft portion seems to always be "open". So, I am still a little unsure of which version to get, if I go with a Nordic.

I have never seen a Nordic, but they are by far the best looking boats that I have been researching. I like their wood free design. Also, are there any years to avoid or any years with significant changes in design either hull or cockpit?

I really appreciate any response that I may get. A little about me....it's just my wife and myself, and our dog. We may have kids in the next few years, but not anytime soon. We live near rivers and lakes in Northern CA and would maybe take the boat to the ocean a couple of times. I know we would definitely take it to Lake Tahoe for a summer. We would like to go with friends, but not too many. This is the reason for the undecidedness on open bow or not. I don't know if we would boat camp or just stay in a hotel. I like the boat camping idea, but is it really that comfortable?

OK....I'll just sit back and let the pros answer some of these questions.

Thanks a lot for the input guys.

-Steve
Old 07-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Registered

I had a nice long story about my Nordic all typed in and I went to post it and I got knocked out, I'm really getting sick of this site. Anyway it's a great boat.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Registered

The Heat is available with an Electric Cabin door which closes off the cabin from the aft side. It's a nice option and it would give privacy. I've got a closed bow. With the closed bow you can sleep 4. Two in the V-berth and two on the couches that convert to a sleeping area with inserts and 2 cusions. That set-up works well for my wife and I with 2 kids. Also with that version, a porta-potty stores under the V-berth, when the ladies need to tinkle, they go in the cabin and close the door and they have complete privacy and that is something she will appriciate. Not sure of the open bow if it even has storage for a porta-potty. The Heat is a nice boat that handles very well. I've never driven a Donzi, but it is one of the boats I did consider prior to purchasing the Nordic. I've driven a few other boats recently and the more I drive them, the more I like my Nordic. It's fast, handles very well and looks great. Best of luck with your choice. You will not be dissapointed with the Nordic. Go with a Merc 525 or more if your budget allows. Heats can handle it. I'm into my 4th season now and it has been trouble free, Both on Nordics side and on the Merc Side.
Attached Thumbnails Considering a 28 Heat-7-7-08-005.jpg   Considering a 28 Heat-7-7-08-007.jpg   Considering a 28 Heat-7-7-08-008.jpg  

Last edited by raytart; 07-07-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Registered

Attached Thumbnails Considering a 28 Heat-7-7-08-009.jpg  

Last edited by raytart; 07-07-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:09 PM
sandman
Gold Member

I was allowed to take a 2007 heat out for a day (thanks to John and Gary @ unlimited marine) at the Nordic jam in lake Cumberland last month and was truly impressed. I think the wood free construction is available on the 2008 and later models. They also added an anchor locker and cleats amidship for 08. The 07 I took out was powered by the 496HO and performed very well. It was rock solid, never chine walked or exhibited any negative handling qualities. But I could tell it could easily stand a lot more power. I would say a 08 model with the 525, external hyd steering and trim tabs would be hard to beat overall. As far as hull design changes or years to stay away from, there are quite a few heat owners on here that could be of more help. I have a 93 model 32 that has a ton of wood in it and looks and feels just as solid as the day it was delivered so I dont think build quality would be an issue no matter what year you look at.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Registered

I have a 2002 Heat and love it. They are great boats very soild. I had a 496ho and had to put a Whipple on it to get it to where I wanted it. The Heats love power and lots of it. The boat is good inside and out. I feel that the Nordic is and feels like a pritty big boat for a 28. My last boat was a 272 Baja and the nordic is much bigger inside and out for only beening 1 foot longer. If you get the chance try to drive one. But There is a big differance in how the boat feels with more power. They are very stable boats, just much funner to drive with more power.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Registered

I too have been looking at the Heat. I currently have a 23' Stingray open bow 6.2L Merc Bravo I.

Its fun and is ideal, but sometimes it is difficult to get across the lake when it gets pretty choppy. I think something of this size will never stop me from going where I would like to go at descent speed.

The Nordic graphics and design are very eye appealing and stands out better than any other boat I have come across in a 28'. I would have to sell my boat I have now to upgrade, and am not in that big of a hurry. I saw there was a 2005 in the classfieds that seemed to be at a pretty good deal.

Question:

Do the trim tabs make a tremendous difference in ride?

It looks like you are all stuck on the 525. How much of a price differnce is it from the 496?

Thanks for the feedback....btw I'm new to the site, and have enjoyed all of your post!!

Take Care,

Paul
Old 07-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at a lot of boats in the same size range before settling on the Heat.
I looked at 27' Warlock, a 29' Fountain, a 28' Sunsation, and few others.
They all had some good qualities, and I probably would have been OK with all of them except the Warlock (I just didn't like their old school boxy lines). The boat was fast.
The Heat unquestionably was the sleekest, coolest looking boat. It also has some unique features I like (smooth ride, good performance per HP, huge cabin, electric cabin door and stern light) and also has a few that I have openly "commented" about (on the earlier models, all since resolved on the '08 at the East Coast Regatta).
Quality is well above average. The 2000+ models have the newer single step hulls, and deck updates.
As noted above, buy as much power as you can afford. I wouldn't buy anything less than a 500EFI. The blue Merc performance models come with heavier duty mounts, trim tabs, and hydraulic steering. They also cost more, but the resale is there too. The blue motors also look great, and are a good foundation for future modifications with forged internals. They are nice boats with stock power, but they are much more fun to drive with some horsepower, and they handle very well, even with big power.
As far as the open bow VS hard deck, that's an easy one. If you are overnighting, get the hard deck.
If you're a day boater with a lot of buddies, I guess the open bow makes sense.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 07-07-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Registered

I like the look of the closed bow and the actual functionality of the cabin area. I remember as a kid that we would rarely sit in the bow because we stuffed it full of crap when we went to the lake. I think we would do the overnight a bit. What I don't like about the cabin is the heat inside and how it prevents people from utilizing it during the day other than a storage area.

Any possibility of putting some sort of ventilation system in there?

I appreciate all of the input. It looks like a solid boat and they seem to retain their value more than others on the market. I'm lucky that my wife loves boating also as long as she can bring her friends along!

I was looking at some boats with the hydraulic steering and trim tabs already installed. I think that is the way to go with this boat.

We'll see what happens. I have to make it home from my deployment first!
Old 07-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 47pilotsteve
I like the look of the closed bow and the actual functionality of the cabin area. I remember as a kid that we would rarely sit in the bow because we stuffed it full of crap when we went to the lake. I think we would do the overnight a bit. What I don't like about the cabin is the heat inside and how it prevents people from utilizing it during the day other than a storage area.

Any possibility of putting some sort of ventilation system in there?

I appreciate all of the input. It looks like a solid boat and they seem to retain their value more than others on the market. I'm lucky that my wife loves boating also as long as she can bring her friends along!

I was looking at some boats with the hydraulic steering and trim tabs already installed. I think that is the way to go with this boat.

We'll see what happens. I have to make it home from my deployment first!
Steve,
Sounds like you are in the service? If so, thanks for your service to our country. The cabin on all of these boats can be stuffy in summer heat (no pun intended). I have 2 oscillating fans in mine, and along with the hatch and door openings make it pretty good for day use or overnighting. Several of the guys with 35 Flames have AC, which I think requires shore power or a generator. There is a new mini AC unit that works off 12V, that was recently installed on a boat here. I saw several other 12V AC units demonstrated at the Las Vegas show recently.
Steve

Quick Reply: Considering a 28 Heat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.