Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Nordic (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/nordic-99/)
-   -   Nordic Rage, Born Again! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/nordic/210746-nordic-rage-born-again.html)

DesertRage 06-16-2009 12:07 PM

Your right, Daves tall deck monsters are going to need some room!

I put in some time on the hatch last night. The 02 era hatches are a balsa core fiberglass lamination. My plan is to use balsa to build some contored walls around the opening and epoxy on a balsa cover. Then laminate everything in biaxial cloth. GlassDave on this site gave me some great tips.

Jon

DesertRage 06-24-2009 08:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a few unfinished shots of the hatch. The top was made out of 1/2" end grain balsa with 2 layers of 17oz glass in epoxy on both sides. It is rock solid. I will fair the inside pocket and outside vents then paint it to match the bilge. The original vinyl pad will have to be modified and reupholstered to get it to fit right.

Steve Zuckerman 06-24-2009 05:34 PM

Jon,
Nice work. Good idea on the vents. I think the factory doesn't believe our motors need to breath :rolleyes:
Regards,
Steve

Linster 06-24-2009 07:58 PM

Breath, lets talk chocking the engines

Nordicflame 06-25-2009 11:54 AM

Yes, the flames have very little breathing room...
My new clearanced hatch has vents incorporated as well. I will post pics soon but right now I'm very dissatisfied with the job that was done by the new Nordic OEM upholstery company.
I am giving them a chance to make this right before post pictures of their work :mad:

One of the reasons Jon opted to do his own...

Dave

DesertRage 06-30-2009 10:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Steve!

I think there is only one way out for all the hot air and it's through the carb! Hopefully the two vents will help with circulation. I plan to add some intake vents in the front of the hatch, very similar to what you did. That was a great idea.

I just got back from lake powell and the rage ran great. Full of camping gear, two people and fuel it ran 82 on gps. You could really feel the boat get out of the water and ride on the pad. It didn't walk at all in around 1' chop. When we got into some bigger white caps and waves coming from different directions it wanted to walk a bit, but other than that it really didn't need tabs.

On the test run my water pressure was through the roof. I was getting around 30psi at 50mph and 40+ at 78. I think it's the dwp drive because this exact engine, exhaust, oil cooler and plumbing was in my Mirage last summer and it never went over 28 with a side water pick up only drive. Right before Powell (literally the day before), I installed the over priced merc blow off valve. It did a great job at keeping the pressure in check. Now it will run up to 25 while cruising and never goes above 30 at wot.

Steve Zuckerman 07-01-2009 07:57 AM

Looking good Jon,
Looks and sounds like you are running great. Congratulations.
I never had any problems with the DWP XR housing as far as excess water pressure goes. Mine was around 25PSI @ WOT. I figured that any excess pressure from the front pickup was probably bleeding back out the side pickups, and sort of self regulating. When I switched over to the Imco LWP only, my water pressure went through the roof and pushed a head gasket with the usual milkshake results.
I now have water coming off my raw water pump to feed my drive shower, off the back of the intake manifold to prevent hot pockets at the back of the block and heads, and the Merc blowoff. And it still gets to 35 PSI before the blowoff kicks in. The factory says they kick in @ 30, but my first one didn't come until 40, and this one is 35PSI. You can adjust them by clipping the internal spring to change the pressure.
Regards,
Steve

Nordicflame 07-01-2009 11:38 AM

Steve,
Did you have the blow off installed when you had the DWP and 25 psi or did you add that when the IMCO kicked it up?
Thanks,
Dave

Steve Zuckerman 07-01-2009 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nordicflame (Post 2901010)
Steve,
Did you have the blow off installed when you had the DWP and 25 psi or did you add that when the IMCO kicked it up?
Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave,
I never had any (excess) water pressure issues with the DWP XR lower. That's probably why the factory uses them on blue motors. They seem "self regulating" to me.
Just switching to the Imco lower raised my WP 10 PSI to 35PSI @ 85mph.
When I got the boat over 90 the WP just went through the roof. In hindsight, I should have caught it, but since I had never had WP issues (high or low), that was the only gauge I wasn't watching. Murphy's law I guess.
So at the same speeds expect about a 10PSI increase, and as your speed increases, it goes up exponentially. It's the ram effect I think, and spinning the motor faster does the same thing to the water pump, so they feed each other more volume and pressure. I was actually pegging the gauge. So I added the blowoff valve, post milkshake. Oh yeah, I would definitely add stainers if you don't have them. My water pump and impeller seem to last much longer now, just keeping the trash out of them.
We put an Imco shorty on Mayor McCheese's '96 Heat this spring, and it did the same thing. At least we know to watch out for it now. Also fixed with a Merc blowoff valve.
BTW, I heard that Imco has change the water inlet from a machined version like I have (early), to cast on the later models. Maybe this was done to alleviate the excess WP issue.
I also read an article by Teague in Powerboat where he told a guy having similar problems to weld a small bump in the water opening to cut down on excess water pressure.
Regards,
Steve

Nordicflame 07-01-2009 01:31 PM

Thanks Steve,
I have blown two hoses off the new motors so I'm sure I'm getting a ton of pressure.
I just have a temporary gauge on the seat and see 25-30 at 4000 but I haven't really looked at it over that rpm/speed yet.

I have DWP drives but plugged the upper holes and smoothed and "slightly" enlarged the nose holes to ensure good flow. This worked really well with the crossover setup on the R-Tech Heat but I'm thinking that with my standard waterpump setup this is creating too much ram effect for it to overcome.
I think I'll yank out the side plugs and give it another shot!

Thanks,
Dave