Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Nordic (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/nordic-99/)
-   -   Nordic Rage, Born Again! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/nordic/210746-nordic-rage-born-again.html)

Rage 07-03-2009 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by DesertRage (Post 2900665)
Thanks Steve!

I think there is only one way out for all the hot air and it's through the carb! Hopefully the two vents will help with circulation. I plan to add some intake vents in the front of the hatch, very similar to what you did. That was a great idea.

I just got back from lake powell and the rage ran great. Full of camping gear, two people and fuel it ran 82 on gps. You could really feel the boat get out of the water and ride on the pad. It didn't walk at all in around 1' chop. When we got into some bigger white caps and waves coming from different directions it wanted to walk a bit, but other than that it really didn't need tabs.

On the test run my water pressure was through the roof. I was getting around 30psi at 50mph and 40+ at 78. I think it's the dwp drive because this exact engine, exhaust, oil cooler and plumbing was in my Mirage last summer and it never went over 28 with a side water pick up only drive. Right before Powell (literally the day before), I installed the over priced merc blow off valve. It did a great job at keeping the pressure in check. Now it will run up to 25 while cruising and never goes above 30 at wot.

Jon,

Great picture and performance numbers! Lake Powel is around 3600 feet elevation isn't it so mid 80's at lower elevation seems like a done deal. It also sounds like you may have a perfectly balanced/tight steering/proped Rage since you are getting no chine walking above 80mph in uniform water. I'm jealous. Do you have any AFR numbers?

Rage 07-06-2009 09:46 AM

Jon,

I just heard that you hit 84mph at 5000 feet altitude!! Man that is strong. Details please.

DesertRage 07-06-2009 10:45 AM

Bill,

We had a great run Sunday morn. I blame the killer conditions for the strong numbers! Early morning, cool air, nice chop, and a lot more trim! I installed mechanical indicators and am still getting used to where the drive really is. At Powell, I could feel the boat get up on the pad, but with more trim it really picked the nose up and started to throw a nice roost!

I got lucky with the prop, it’s a labbed 26 (not by merc). It measures 26.2 with pitch blocks. The hull seems naturally balanced, it has got to be the full hydraulic to the helm steering that is keeping things straight. I didn’t use the tabs at all. Maybe I’ll need them when I break 90 :evilb: .

The only AFR numbers I have are from last year in the other boat. It’s a bit rich; I definitely need to do some work there, next on my list...

Steve,

Thanks for your comments on the merc valve and how to adjust opening pressure!

Does the Imco lowers usually help or is it trial and error? My X-dim is at 5.5 and I can't help but wonder what a -1 imco lower would do.

Thanks,
Jon

Steve Zuckerman 07-06-2009 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by DesertRage (Post 2903719)
Bill,

We had a great run Sunday morn. I blame the killer conditions for the strong numbers! Early morning, cool air, nice chop, and a lot more trim! I installed mechanical indicators and am still getting used to where the drive really is. At Powell, I could feel the boat get up on the pad, but with more trim it really picked the nose up and started to throw a nice roost!

I got lucky with the prop, it’s a labbed 26. It measures 26.2 with pitch blocks. The hull seems naturally balanced, it has got to be the full hydraulic to the helm steering that is keeping things straight. Dave said I would need it with the new power and I am not taking that bit of advice for granted. I didn’t use the tabs at all. Maybe I’ll need them when I break 90 :evilb: .

The only AFR numbers I have are from last year in the other boat. It’s a bit rich; I definitely need to do some work there, next on my list...

Steve,

Thanks for your comments on the merc valve and how to adjust opening pressure!

Does the Imco lowers usually help or is it trial and error? My X-dim is at 5.5 and I can't help but wonder what a -1 imco lower would do.

Thanks,
Jon

Hi Jon,
I am not a Rage expert, but our boats are similar. The faster you go, the more the improved hydrodynamic aspect ratio of the Imco lowers help, even at the "stock" XD. A less expensive altenative is a good quality nose cone. It looks like you are handy with fiberglass.
Regarding a 1" shorty, I think that would be advantageous too at your 5.5"s below the pad. We have found 4" to 4.5" to be good on Heats. They are heavier, longer boats which generally would require deeper prop shaft depth than a Rage. You might even be able to go to -2"s, and fine tune down from there with spacers.
As you know, there's nothing like testing before you lay out the cash. If you could test a shorty from a friend or dealer, that would be ideal. I definitely think your application is perfect for an Imco. If you can't find one to test, I would call Imco and see what they say. Nordic might also have some data on this, you never know :rolleyes: ................
Regards,
Steve

Rage 07-06-2009 12:43 PM

What were the rpm's at that 84 mph with your labbed 26?

Rage 07-06-2009 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by DesertRage (Post 2903719)
I got lucky with the prop, it’s a labbed 26. It measures 26.2 with pitch blocks.

Jon,

That is interesting. I assume it is a Bravo 1. The Prop experts (not me for sure) say that the Bravo 1 prop's P numbers stamped on them are 1" bigger than actual up to 28P and then ~1.5" bigger P numbers stamped than actual numbers above that. In other words a stock 26P Bravo 1 is actually a 25" pitch. Any history on your labbed 26P prop mods?

Rage 07-06-2009 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman (Post 2903752)
Hi Jon,
I am not a Rage expert, but our boats are similar. The faster you go, the more the improved hydrodynamic aspect ratio of the Imco lowers help, even at the "stock" XD. A less expensive altenative is a good quality nose cone. It looks like you are handy with fiberglass.
Regarding a 1" shorty, I think that would be advantageous too at your 5.5"s below the pad. We have found 4" to 4.5" to be good on Heats. They are heavier, longer boats which generally would require deeper prop shaft depth than a Rage. You might even be able to go to -2"s, and fine tune down from there with spacers.
As you know, there's nothing like testing before you lay out the cash. If you could test a shorty from a friend or dealer, that would be ideal. I definitely think your application is perfect for an Imco. If you can't find one to test, I would call Imco and see what they say. Nordic might also have some data on this, you never know :rolleyes: ................
Regards,
Steve

I am real interested in anything you might learn about proven merits of different X dimensions on the Rage! I asked about such for a Rage back in 2007 but no one responded about trying anything different from the stock 5.5".

DesertRage 07-06-2009 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rage (Post 2904069)
Jon,

That is interesting. I assume it is a Bravo 1. The Prop experts (not me for sure) say that the Bravo 1 prop's P numbers stamped on them are 1" bigger than actual up to 28P and then ~1.5" bigger P numbers stamped than actual numbers above that. In other words a stock 26P Bravo 1 is actually a 25" pitch. Any history on your labbed 26P prop mods?

Bill,

I don't have any history on it other than it was originally labbed by a local shop. I had a couple of nicks fixed and thats when I had him measure the pitch. RPM was right around 5800 and you are correct, Bravo 1.

It sounds like your Rage measures 5.5" aswell?

Jon

DesertRage 07-06-2009 07:19 PM

Steve,

That is good advice, thanks for sharing. I was just starting to think of the flexibility a -2 could offer. The nose cone seems like a good alternative, but I would really like to try an Imco. I think it would come with greater benefits.

You are right, they are expensive and I don't want to buy it twice. I'll check around for more info and see if I'm lucky enough to come across one to borrow. With the merc pressure valve installed I should be all set to bolt one on.

I will let you know where I end up. Knowledge is king!

Thanks,
Jon

Steve Zuckerman 07-06-2009 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by DesertRage (Post 2904113)
Steve,

That is good advice, thanks for sharing. I was just starting to think of the flexibility a -2 could offer. The nose cone seems like a good alternative, but I would really like to try an Imco. I think it would come with greater benefits.

You are right, they are expensive and I don't want to buy it twice. I'll check around for more info and see if I'm lucky enough to come across one to borrow. With the merc pressure valve installed I should be all set to bolt one on.

I will let you know where I end up. Knowledge is king!

Thanks,
Jon

Jon,
I've been thinking about your setup. I bet a -2" Imco and 28" B1 or possibly a 27" or 28" P5X would be the sh-t. If you try the Hydromotive P5X (they make 4 blades too), they have an exchange program, so you won't get "stuck" with the wrong size or style prop. There are probably some prop guys who will do the same on a B1.
The P5Xs (and Herring 5 blades) work well at high XDs on Heats, but I don't know of anyone running one on a Rage. It may not be necessary on your shorter, lighter boat. In other words, you may not need the blade area of a 5 blade. A 4 blade may get it done. I'm sure you will have fun experimenting, none the less.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Regards,
Steve