Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Nordic
Do you tow your boat covered or open? >

Do you tow your boat covered or open?

Notices

Do you tow your boat covered or open?

Old 05-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you tow your boat covered or open?

Do you tow your boat covered?
I have always towed my other boats with the snap on cover on, but I wanted to get some opinions.
I want to make sure my new nordic stays new as long as possible. Not to mention my Nordic snap on cover seems to be stretching out after only one short drive on the freeway.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

No cover. I feel the cover can cause more damage than the little bit of dirt the boat might get on the interior. Most companies that haul boats ask you to take the cover off.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cover off for towing for me.

No matter how tight I pull the straps there is no way to stop wind harmonics from vibrating the straps and that causes wear.

Uncle Dave
Old 05-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm

When I purchased my Heat, my first trip with the boat I made one 5 hour trip to Havasu with the cockpit and bow cover on (is an open-bow model). Cockpit cover blew off 1 hour into the drive (albiet, there was a very strong head wind that day).

From that point on, I've always towed my open bow with the bow cover on, but with the cockpit open (no cover).

I tow with the bow cover only because the few times I've towed without it (long tows) -- I've ended up with a fair amount of dirt/dust on the rear bench and around the engine hatch. Wind-tunnel effect. Easily cleaned-up, but I didn't like tit

I'm going on 9th season, and still using the original bow cover. I've had it re-stitched once at the top/center snaps (riser on the deck). Still going strong. I feel keeping the bow covered has helped immensely in keeping my interior as clean as it is.

I2D
Old 05-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Registered

I've only had a cover for 2 yrs, took me that long to opt for snaps in the gelcoat. I always use the bow cover, but I haven't had any issues w/ cockpit cover as of yet. Get a good one w/ padding around windshield & where it contacts seats & a prop rod in the middle to keep it up. I even use a prop rod in the bow. Don't use black, it stains interior. I leave it off for short distance, but if it's raining or long distance, road grime makes a HUGE mess without cover. Also take it to laundry mat once in a while & wash it. Dust & dirt get in canvas & can scratch paint.

Last edited by 90mphRAGE; 05-11-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Registered

I learned a lesson on this one recently. I was towing my Formula back home from my engine builder doing 70 mph on the interstate. I had my snap on cockpit cover on as usual. As I was going over a bridge spanning another 6 lane interstate I happened to look in my rear view mirror just as my cover decided to come flying off. I could not stop till I was on the other side of the bridge which was about a quarter mile away. So, I pull over and go walking back over the bridge and I see some redneck make a u-turn and go and pick up my cover and throw it in the back of his pick up. I start running and yelling and the guy pretends he does not see me coming. Anyways , as he starts driving by me he sees that I am reading the company name and number off the side of his truck door and decides to slam on the brakes and pull over. I then grabbed the cover out of the back of his truck and he takes off. If I would have taken another 30 seconds to get out of my truck, my $2500 cockpit cover would have been gone. Lesson learned...Never trailer with the cover on...Jeff Wurl
Old 05-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Registered

The snap-on bow and Cockpit covers that I purchased from Nordic dont have any padding for the windshield or the seats. I was a little disappointed that they didn't even come with center snaps or support poles. I asked and they said that they don't include them. I was thinking wow both my other cheapo boats that I have owned came with them.

The padding sounds like a great idea.
Who made your tops for you 90MPH rage?
Old 05-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Registered

Travel with cover on for trips (over an hour)!! Use blue painters tape on leading edge (blue tape) works great keeps wind, dust and rain out. Comes right off with out a hitch and the interior is clean
Old 05-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

My brother does upholstery work and you can't believe how many covers are lost or damaged towing. I tow with mine off unless its raining. On very long trips (Like Florida and back) I will tow with it covered but tape the entire edge all the way around the boat so no air can get underneath it and start problems.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by oboyskibum
The snap-on bow and Cockpit covers that I purchased from Nordic dont have any padding for the windshield or the seats. I was a little disappointed that they didn't even come with center snaps or support poles. I asked and they said that they don't include them. I was thinking wow both my other cheapo boats that I have owned came with them.

The padding sounds like a great idea.
Who made your tops for you 90MPH rage?
I have a buddy that does body work for Taylor Boats in Draper. I had him get it done for me through Taylors. I can find a name & get back to you. I think he works for Sharps Tarps. They might be able to modify your cover w/ some padding. I also had them redo me a bimini top from an old Scandia frame. They did great work, but I'm not impressed with Taylors. The forklift driver pulled my boat out & rather than dropping the jack, just lifted tongue higher & of course that drags the skeg on the drive. I saw the kid do it, but he just shrugged like no big deal. No damage done, but I won't be taking the boat there for anything anytime soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.