Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Nordic
Its time again to get back into performance boating and my only choice is a Nordic >

Its time again to get back into performance boating and my only choice is a Nordic

Notices

Its time again to get back into performance boating and my only choice is a Nordic

Old 10-08-2012, 01:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its time again to get back into performance boating and my only choice is a Nordic

Me and the wife have been out of the boating game for several years now after selling out Baja Hammer. While owning that boat for four years I made my mind up then that our next one would be a Nordic. The looks and performance of the Nordics really appeal to both of us. We're in the market for a Nordic Rage with a 525 EFI power plant and frankly we're having a hard time finding a used Rage with this setup. I do however have a question in regards to the size of the Rage. We have recently moved to South Florida, Vero Beach, and we're intereseted in attending the poker run events to the Bahamas and to key west. Is the Rage undersized for that type of riding out in the ocean or can it handle it? THe majority of the time the boat will be used on the Indian River, but we would like the option of doing one of those ruuns. I really don't want to step up to a heat due to the added weight and loss in speed. Please give us your honest opions and what you feel is the best for our location and wants. Thank you!!

Last edited by young; 10-08-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I have heard the Heats do "okay" in the ocean, I would seriously doubt the Rage would get it done.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When measuring the true running length of a Rage and a Heat...they are truely about 2 ft shorter than the advertized length...ie the swim step is about 2 feet long.

The running lenght of my Heat is 26 feet, 1 inch....which I feel is a little short for ocean running.

I do run in Puget Sound on occasion...and my boat does fine...just not as good as some true 28-29 foot singles that my friends have.

Having said that....I can destroy them as far a speed goes in anything under three footers.

Chris
Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Rage will do fine on the river, but is going to be small in anything less than ideal conditions on the ocean.
The Heat will be great on the river or the many inland lakes in Florida. As far as saltwater/ocean conditions go, you'll be fine on the intercoastal, but out in the bluewater, you'll have to pick your days and conditions.
Regards,
Steve
Old 10-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

we too had a hammer prior to our rage, and absolutely love it! i will say the rage would be dicey in some bigger water, low freeboard and like said above its only 23' running surface, as far as inland lakes, which is what we use it in, its awesome, loves 6-8" chop, and handles boat wakes well, if you want a rage with the 525, good luck, they are few and far between, i will admit we will move up to a heat eventually but have absolutely no regrets buying the rage, buy the size that you are going to mainly boat in, if its on the ocean side step up to a heat, inland lakes and rivers then get a rage

Last edited by blownhammer2000; 10-08-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I was looking for months before I purchased my rage and I didn't come across a single rage with a 525. Found one with a 500 but that was it. Another issue if you want to call it that is that most of them are on the west coast so u may have to travel a little to get one
Old 10-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You do not want to make that crossing to the Bahamas in less than a 35' boat with twins. You can head over in flat conditions at 11AM and by 12:15PM there are 10 footers out there.

Up there in Vero Beach, as long as you have depth in the ICW and rivers, you will be fine. You might even be fine in the ocean in some bigger water like widely spaced 3-4 foot smooth swells. However, its traversing the inlets that will get you in trouble.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-08-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

I think Dean Ferry on the site here still has his 35 Nordic for sale.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Nordic Flame listed for sale, if I can help let me know.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Registered

Mine is for sale and he live less than an hour from me. I emailed him pics and info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.