Nordic Trailer Brake problems

Notices

Nordic Trailer Brake problems

Old 03-08-2007, 08:52 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Aquaman41
I have a tandem Nordic trailer. It seems as if the brakes work pretty well, however after a little bit of a drive the brakes are quite hot. Producing steam when backed into the lake. This happens even if there are not many hills.

It seems as if I am riding on the brakes, slightly engaged. Is there any way to change the sensitivity of the surge brake system or otherwise aleviate this problem?

Also, the trailer has a 5 pin adapter that goes to the truck. Is one of these for electronic brake control? What do I need to be able to utilize this?

Thanks for the help!! This is a new boat to me and a bit different setup than my last boat.
If you have new pads on the trailer, they will get pretty hot for a while. This is common; until they wear into a pattern.

When you get to the water, its NOT good to back right into the lake with hot brakes. Its better to let them cool off a bit. You risk cracking a pad, caliper, or rotor with the extreme temperature change. If anything, back into the lake VERY slowly, and let the water gradually make its way up the brake, rather than a quick dunking.

The 5th (blue) wire on your light connector is not for an Electric Brake Controller. The 5th Blue wire needs to get engaged when you shift the truck into reverse. If you have a modern truck, your 7 pin round connector has a pin for this. You will probably need to get a 7 pin round to 5 pin flat connector. I think even Wal-Mart sells them, but Boaters World, and any trailer hitch/camper place will have them. This blue wire, when energized by your backup light circuit on the truck, engages a solenoid that stops your trailer brakes from working when reversing. Surge brakes on drum brakes do not work in reverse. Surge brakes on disc brakes do work in reverse, hence the need for the solenoid to block brake pressure so you can reverse when you need to.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 03-08-2007 at 09:00 AM.