Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Northeast US
Long Lake, Maine---Accident, who got the 411? >

Long Lake, Maine---Accident, who got the 411?

Notices

Long Lake, Maine---Accident, who got the 411?

Old 08-15-2007, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soldsoul, that's the sunsation that came in behind the island when we were stuck in the thunderstorm. How can they tell how fast he was going anyway? I know I always have my hand on the throttles. He could have hit them as he was thrown from the boat!!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

they have already started. The people they have interviewed on the news have already started. They are too fast there is no place for them, bla bla. And these are the same old fishermen who if they could affford it would have a center console with twin 300 on the back that ran 65+. But its a "fishing boat" so its ok. instead they run there 70+ mph bass boats right
Old 08-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel bad for everybody involved. Bottom line...if the boat in the middle of the lake sitting there had lights this accident wouldn't have happened. The LAW says you need to have some sort of a light. I don't care if the Sunsation was going 25 or 65, they still wouldn't have seen an unlit boat.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Registered

Unhappy A proper response

Friends,
Two people are dead, gone, departed, forever, their friends and families are grieving, the community is in shock. Naples is a small village of 2800. The victims were well known and loved. The operators of the boat that killed the two victims, now have to live with this cloud over their head.

Accidents happen but speeding down a lake at night just increases the chances.

I saw their boat just before the accident, they were complying with boating regulations, I saw two lights in the the boat.
I also saw the boat that hit them. It seems that the boat
almost hit another bow rider that was able to evade the on coming boat.

isn't it reasonable that the **** will hit the fan, with two people dead. No one knows who's fault it was, one thing for sure, one boat ran over another while operating at high speed at night.

How about a show of some respect for the victims and their families.

Last edited by sainone; 08-15-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sainone, I meant no disrespect. My heartfelt condolences go out to all involved. I just don't feel it's right to point fingers before all of the facts are on the table. No matter what the outcome, two lives have been lost, a terrible tradgedy.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Registered

Absolutely, this is a time for great respect and caring.
All other issues are small compared to the loss of life.
This is a time to come together.
This is a time to , "Love they Neighbor".
Old 08-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Registered

I think having lights at nite on a boat is already a law. But there are oodles I see that don't have them operating correctly.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:42 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by soldsoul4foos
I think having lights at nite on a boat is already a law. But there are oodles I see that don't have them operating correctly.
Yep, speeding on the interstate is against the law......and I never do that!

Very few peopple really know if the stationary boat had their lights on......some can't tell us what they saw, others have "incentive" to claim one way or the other. May they R.I.P and the truth drive justice for the "powerboat" operator.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Registered

Default I know what I saw

To suggest that some one would lie in a situation like this is
infantile.

Last edited by sainone; 08-15-2007 at 11:20 PM. Reason: change in post
Old 08-16-2007, 06:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tazz
I feel bad for everybody involved. Bottom line...if the boat in the middle of the lake sitting there had lights this accident wouldn't have happened. The LAW says you need to have some sort of a light. I don't care if the Sunsation was going 25 or 65, they still wouldn't have seen an unlit boat.
Yes, the law says you have to have a light. It also states that one has to operate at a safe speed to fit the conditions. There was no moon that night - the accident scene was way off on the east side of the lake out of the normal boat traffic. At any speed the boat was going it would have been hard to spot a small boat (with or without a light) or a log or a float that had drifted off its mooring chains. I have seen large things floating on that lake which would rip the hull out of a boat. Lights are important so others can see you. But, operating in a safe manner is also a part of the law - and it makes common sense.

Quick Reply: Long Lake, Maine---Accident, who got the 411?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.