Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Northeast US
Two speedboats in Woods Hole capsized small fishing boat >

Two speedboats in Woods Hole capsized small fishing boat

Notices

Two speedboats in Woods Hole capsized small fishing boat

Old 08-04-2016, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the girl that got hurt was " popped " off her seat in the bow? If that is the case it sounds like to me the boat operator of the "small fishing boat" is at fault, due to him not slowing down before hitting the wake from the "speed boats" . From the description it sounds like he hit the wake dead on and through her out the boat, maybe " small fishing boats" should slow down. I hope the girl is ok and has a quick full recovery.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:43 AM
Registered

Bad seating choice as well.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Two speed boats at wot are not exactly quiet. I always pay attention to my 360° surroundings when under way even at high speeds becouse I know there are people faster and bigger. If something comes to I can let my passengers know to hols on brace your selves we are going to be hitting some wake. Don't know the hole story but if it was a little boat crossing there path it would be dangerous to try to change corse at high speeds.I was out on the jet ski with the family and Hurd a boat hullin the maIL in to the bay and seen where he was heading so I stopped and changed my heading to avoid crossing his path. I hurd and seen him coming from over a mile away. Safety first
Old 08-04-2016, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I find it ridiculous that a lot of people get pissed off and start flipping you off when you pass them or their house (not in a wake zone) at a relatively high speed. I.e. 50-60 depending on bayou/river size and visibility. Many times I have run up on people where slowing down would make a huge swell, so I increase throttle and get to the far side of them to lessen the wake and normally get the Stare down or a finger..
Old 08-04-2016, 09:21 PM
Registered

If a ship is going 5 you pass it safely if a Cruiser is going 25 you pass it safely if a off shore is going 60 I pass it safely and if I'm going 80 you pass me Safely if a fishing boat is stopped right in the middle of all the boat traffic to fish ****um shouldn't be there thats not a safe place. It is open water be responsible for your boat and your passengers.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by nailit
I find it ridiculous that a lot of people get pissed off and start flipping you off when you pass them or their house (not in a wake zone) at a relatively high speed. I.e. 50-60 depending on bayou/river size and visibility. Many times I have run up on people where slowing down would make a huge swell, so I increase throttle and get to the far side of them to lessen the wake and normally get the Stare down or a finger..
We get that around here to I just wave and smile as I go by lol
Old 08-04-2016, 09:28 PM
Registered

jmo the only innocent one i see is the poor un experienced boater that got hurt under the less than watchful eye of her captain
Old 08-04-2016, 10:45 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

bass boaters can be known to make up a bunch of stories and believe me they have alot of stories. Also they hate the speed boat crowd, should say most of them do.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
bass boaters can be known to make up a bunch of stories and believe me they have alot of stories. Also they hate the speed boat crowd, should say most of them do.
That's pretty ironic, considering most bass boat are pretty damn fast on smooth water.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:07 AM
Registered

Received 572 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by offshore312
I can't say that the claim of being spun 180* is physically possible with a 30' sailboat, and the amount of weight / displacement of that keel...

Grew up on performance boats and sailboats 47 years now . Their all good.

But let's say you have cut the motors off on your Chris Craft and the wife has the 1 year old on the back bench seat throwing a new diaper on it while the 2 year old is clambering around .

It's glass calm and predictable, 5 seconds later 2 boats racing blast by you at 80 plus splitting you right down the middle with 10 feet of clearance on either side. Poopy diaper boy takes a major header off the bench seat while you were trying to feel mommies mammeries.
2 year old does a face plant against the cabin door , instant Chaos, wife is losing her mind.

But hey no Biggie.

You should have heard or seen it coming.

Last edited by tommymonza; 08-05-2016 at 12:09 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.