Cape May to Ocean City MD >

Cape May to Ocean City MD

Notices

Cape May to Ocean City MD

Old 07-31-2017, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cape May to Ocean City MD

Heading down for vacation in a week and looking to make the trip to Ocean City MD for a day. I have been in the back bays around there and out in the Cape May inlet with my smaller bowrider in years past. Never ventured far. This year I'm taking my 26' Powerquest and am looking to do a trip to Ocean City MD. Looks like roughly 45 miles from Cap May inlet to Ocean City inlet. My main concern is crossing the Delaware bay. I boat in the Chesapeake all the time but never tried crossing the Delaware. My thought is to follow to Cape May Ferry route to cross back and forth then run the ocean down to Ocean City. Anyone ever done this? Any tips or advice for the Delaware bay?
Old 08-09-2017, 07:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Sounds like a cool trip!
Old 08-16-2017, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts

The Delaware Bay can be a fun trip....or an UNfun trip very easily given wind and weather. The run across from Cape May to Lewes is fairly simple. The ferry traffic is your only real worry till you get close to the Delaware shoreline...which will have shoals. Use your charts and plan your route it should be a simple compass heading once you leave the NJ side.
We have taken our boat from North East, MD to Atlantic City a few times now and loved it! The weather has always been cooperative when we traveled but in my youth I remember some very difficult trips with my grandfather on the Delaware Bay heading to Cape May from Bohemia River, MD.