Best boat for Raritan Bay (Keyport, NJ) to Portsmouth, NH...sub-$100k

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave M

Best boat for Raritan Bay (Keyport, NJ) to Portsmouth, NH...sub-$100k

Old 03-11-2019, 06:05 AM
Registered

Default Best boat for Raritan Bay (Keyport, NJ) to Portsmouth, NH...sub-$100k

Greetings!

I've had a great time reading and searching your forums, so thank you for having a great community. I decided to quit lurking and jump in to ask advice. I'm currently deployed to the Middle East and upon returning home this summer I want to get into boating. Spent some time out with friends last year and fell in love. Long and short of it, what would good recommendations for used boats to buy with my family being split between NJ and NH? I want to take the boat between the 2 locations at least 3-4 times per summer. Something I can sleep on comfortably and keep in a wet slip all summer long. Trying to keep fuel costs around $1500/ trip. I had a friend suggest a 2008ish Cobalt 303... is this practical? What else is out there?

Thanks and all the best! I super appreciate any advice (if not to give me something further to read up on while I finish up out there)
- Tom
Old 03-19-2019, 09:44 AM
Registered

My Boat: '01 Baja 252 Islander

Cobalt's are nice. I would look at Chaparral. Better performance and just as nice a ride. Formula would be my other choice for that style of boat.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:46 AM
Registered

My Boat: 2000 33 Scarab AVS

Something to keep in mind while shopping also, is Raritan Bay can get quite rough. If you are boating that area you may want to go around Sandy Hook and down the coast a bit, up along the Long Island coast, into NY Harbor and attached rivers, so a rough water capable boat would be a good choice
Old 03-23-2019, 10:39 AM
Registered

My Boat: 2005 25 Outlaw

Looking for more of the cruiser style or go fast style? There’s a nice Baja islander, 272 I think, currently listed. That would be kind of between a cruiser and go fast imo. May not be as heavy as a cobalt but will cut through some rough stuff trimmed down.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by IGetWet View Post
Looking for more of the cruiser style or go fast style? There’s a nice Baja islander, 272 I think, currently listed. That would be kind of between a cruiser and go fast imo. May not be as heavy as a cobalt but will cut through some rough stuff trimmed down.
Thanks! This is great info, exactly what I'm looking for...I would love to buy a member's boat and help everyone out! Fast is definitely not a bad thing... I just need a nice place to sleep with air conditioning on board incase there isn't Uber and a neaby hotel wherever I dock for the night.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarabman View Post
Something to keep in mind while shopping also, is Raritan Bay can get quite rough. If you are boating that area you may want to go around Sandy Hook and down the coast a bit, up along the Long Island coast, into NY Harbor and attached rivers, so a rough water capable boat would be a good choice
OK thanks, I'm also looking at a marina in Long Branch NJ too.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:47 AM
Registered

My Boat: 2000 33 Scarab AVS

Originally Posted by NJtoNH View Post
OK thanks, I'm also looking at a marina in Long Branch NJ too.
There is some nice boating up the rivers that way. Outstanding sight seeing looking at the houses of the ultra rich/famous that live along Navesink and Shrewsbury. Can also boat into Red Bank and walk to downtown restaurants/bars. There are also a couple decent coves to hang out in, one behind Sandy Hook and one just off Hartshorne Woods Park where the rivers intersect.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boat: 27 ZR

Cobalts always get good reviews, couldn't go far wrong if you buy late model, low hours and well maintained.
Mentioned earlier, Formula are quality boats. Big heavy boats, very well built, not the fastest but still respectable, well finished, great amenities for the family or friends and usually quite a few on the used market.

Just had a quick look on yachtworld and saw these two....
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...ated--3505373/
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...90-ss-3509792/

No idea about geography, that's just a couple of ads with some nice pics to look at. Formula have several more Sun Sport models, and bow riders, going up in size too.

Happy shopping!

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 03-25-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boat: 2017 30 Concept, 300 Verados

So, you plan on taking this boat from NJ to NH several times per year? Room for a family to sleep, AC, and go fast? You're not asking much are you? lol I definitely would not be looking at anything less than 30 ft. I admire your spirit of adventure. I would get some boating experience under my belt before attempting a run like that.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
So, you plan on taking this boat from NJ to NH several times per year? Room for a family to sleep, AC, and go fast? You're not asking much are you? lol I definitely would not be looking at anything less than 30 ft. I admire your spirit of adventure. I would get some boating experience under my belt before attempting a run like that.

Hey Dave, makes sense I get it. I just don't want to waste time with a boat that doesn't meet the end goal... I'm not really into just boating around for the day, then tucking her in and getting in my parked car to drive home for the night. When I finally get some time off it's go time to take a trip, you know what I mean? Honestly I'm starting to think, if a bow rider works, going that route. Saving money on the cost of the boat, then just Uber to a local hampton inn or something once I'm docked for the night during a trip.