Moterey Boats? 305ss vs. Formula 310BR OB >

Moterey Boats? 305ss vs. Formula 310BR OB

Notices

Moterey Boats? 305ss vs. Formula 310BR OB

Old 02-21-2020, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Moterey Boats? 305ss vs. Formula 310BR OB

So, I've been looking at moving from my Formula 292, at some future point (4-6 years) to something that:
Is the right size for the bay (We leave out of Essex, MD)
We don't sleep on it
Never used the head on it.
I'm sick of inboards - no room to work. I do all my own work and it's just a hassle.
Fits in my garage - 10' wide garage door. 38' deep. 14' high.

So, to that end, I was looking hard at the Formula 310 BR OB. Very nice boat. Also, very expensive. so looking for a used one, except that they don't exist, as the OB was new for 19 I think.

Then this caught my eye for it's style and price:

Anyone here have a Moterey? I never heard of them until I found this.

https://www.montereyboats.com/305SS

It's like 1/2 the price of the Formula 310 BR OB.... and honestly, I think it looks better... so where did they cut HALF the money out of it?!

https://www.formulaboats.com/310-bowrider/

thoughts? Thanks.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:10 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Monterey has been building boats since the 1980 s out in Florida. Its a cross of a crownline and cobalt. They build a decent boat. IMO I would take a Cobalt over both of those.

Yes Monterey actually builds good looking boats and are known for their runabouts. Regal makes decent boats as well.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually saw it at the Miami show was nice layout supposed to hit 60 with the twin 250. Now it you throw a set of 300R on it. I owned a 19' Monterey many years ago was a great boat, got lots of use out of it and a nice ride most of the time.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently rode on a 27' Monterey bow rider with twin inboards. Absolutely great fit and finish. Rode like a much bigger boat too. We ran that thing all over the Chesapeake Bay.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:03 AM
Registered

In For Sale ads I'm seeing the boat on double or triple axles trailers.

We trailer 2x a year. Once to the marina, and one home. However if towing with the Cyber Truck becomes possible, we may haul this more places...

Any pro/cons of the double vs triple? I assume with a triple I could lose a tire and keep rolling if I removed it and placed the missing wheel between two good wheels?

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2019...305ss-7066206/

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2019...rider-7170805/

I have a double axle now under my 292, and had to drive home on 3/4 wheels when I didn't carry a spare. (Have a spare now).
Old 03-05-2020, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Little curious how towing with the Cyber truck makes it more popular for you versus a traditional truck?
Old 03-05-2020, 08:38 AM
Registered

Sorry, that was a bit random. Just excited about a newer boat and where we could go. It's still years away and so far out of my budget it's not funny... so I'm planning now to see if used makes more sense, and learning about boat loans...

Anyway, we used to boat at Raystown Lake, PA. And I loved how clean the water was. You could swim anywhere.
At the bay, we love the ability to actually 'go places' but the water is downright nasty to be honest... So I'm doing mental math on where we could haul it.

I've been Tesla since 2015 (Model S, then 3, now X) (Wife has a 3)... No way could I ever go back.
I love cars, love engines, but I don't think I could ever buy a gas car again. I'd go crazy if I had to give up Autopilot...
And no, I'm not going to say EVs will save the planet. We have no kids, and the planet will outlive selfish me.
But 0-60 in 2.9 in something the size of a small house?! How do you NOT want that?! lol. I'm sure it's better in my head than it will be in real life, and given that we pay to keep the boat on a lift at a marina, I'm sure 99% of our time will be at the bay.

But, I'm a truck guy and owning a vehicle capable of towing 14k will let me take the boat more places.
My vehicle can't tow the 10k or so of my boat. Even when I had a gas truck (Tahoe) it maxed at 7500lbs.

Since I only trailer it 2x a year, $120/day to Enterprise Truck is a zillion time cheaper than owning something that gets 14mpg... between insurance, inspection, registration, ohh and the truck... and gas... $240/year to haul my boat is rather economical... and I always get a brand new whatever to use. I've had a RAM2500. I've had a Ford F150. And maybe a chevy at one point.

After I told some other people at the marina about it (who also only haul 2x/year) they jumped at the opportunity... my friend was borrowing a friends pickup for years, but really who likes to do that to someone else?

I've been Tesla since 2015 (Model S, then 3, now X) (Wife has a 3)... No way could I ever go back. I love cars, love engines, but I don't think I could ever buy a gas car again. I'd go crazy if I had to give up Autopilot...

I'm still torn as I love my Model X, it's so comfortable, and with only needing to tow 2x a year, may stick with Enterprise Truck Rental, but.. I'm gonna have to test drive that CyberTruck... I like the idea of hauling stuff in the bed. Not stressing over door dings or even running over the occasional deer. I had 3 Jeep Wranglers previously (Told you I liked cars)... all lifted... last one was on 35s. I miss the 4x4 fun. Also, it's bullet proof, and my work is moving downtown in the next year or two... so... that's plus... lol
Old 03-05-2020, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I to have switched to enterprise to rent twice a year it works out great. As for the trailer that boat is not as big as it looks it has a Hugh swim platform and set back and twice a year the dual would be fine.

Last edited by boomer; 03-05-2020 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:49 AM
Registered

Default Size

Yea, the whole "305" is really throwing me. I'm happy with my 292, but I'd really like to see this right next to my 292.
between the swim platform, and engines hanging off the back, it's hard to figure out how big this is.

To be honest, in some photos it looks smaller than my 292. But I'm not looking for much bigger anyway. Anything bigger won't fit (width) in my garage. Every 35 footer is 10'+ wide. if I'm paying all this for a boat... I'm keeping it inside my garage...

305ss: LOA w/swim platform is 29' so really it's a 27' ? But placing the engines farther back (I'm told) is better... like extension boxes? with the cuddy, we don't get to "use" the front 1/2 of the boat, so I'm sure it will feel bigger.

The 292 is only a 8' 3" beam, while the 305 is a 9' beam.

Dry is 7200lbs + (guessing) 2k trailer = 9200lbs + 600lbs fuel + 300lbs gear = 10,100 lbs

the 292 dry weight is 7000lbs... so really these are pretty close for trailering.

I wonder what it would take to put twin 300s on the back vs. the 250s...
Old 03-05-2020, 10:05 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Monterey has been around a long while and seem to build decent boats. Formula is going to be near top quality for this type of boat.

Just looking at specs:

The Monterey has a total LOA of 29'0", 9ft beam, and 7,200lbs
the Formula has a total LOA of 32'8", 9.6 beam, and 9,900lbs

The Formula is ALOT bigger boat, holds more water/sewage, has a deeper "V" which should ride better. Is it worth the extra $$$....only you can decide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.