Notices

Fox River/Chain O Lakes

Old 09-24-2007, 02:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Fox River/Chain O Lakes

I will not be able to make the River Shiver, but want to learn more about the Fox Lake, Chain O Lakes area in preparation for next year. I have never been on the Chain O lakes...so let's hear the good and the bad.

From the areas I have looked, it looks like there is a ton of sightseeing both on the river and lakes.

Where are some good places to go/put in?

From what I am reading my prop will be doing some mowing in Grass Lake. So I will be staying away from there. Is it really that bad on the entire Chain O Lakes area? I do not like to make needless repairs to gelcoat, props, or lower units.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Iam sure alot of people are going to chime in that dont like the chain.
Ive been boating there for over 25 years and like it.
I never once lost a outdrive/skeg or a prop.
Knock on wood I never had any prop repairs done for at least the last 10+ years.you have to follow the markers.
It does get busy but there plenty of places to go to get away from it.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:24 AM
Registered

Grass Lake is fine if you are in the main channels, everybody uses this lake.
Trim up in the channels between lakes and stay near the center and you should be fine.
Watch the bouys most areas are well marked.

Most of the chain is nothing more than a flooded swamp, but some lakes are deep, mostly the northern ones. There are some good bars but I only go to the ones with good docks or in a no wake. Otherwise it will beat your boat up real bad, if they have bad docks dont go there its not worth it.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Registered

As I said I have never been there, but I have heard there is more to do on the Southern portion including the River?

I found a website, lakes-online.com, from what I see the lakes are shallower than I expected in areas. Now I understand why I have seen photos of people standing next to their boats in the middle of the lake!!

Last edited by Engine Co 454; 09-24-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:21 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Engine Co 454
I will not be able to make the River Shiver, but want to learn more about the Fox Lake, Chain O Lakes area in preparation for next year. I have never been on the Chain O lakes...so let's hear the good and the bad.

From the areas I have looked, it looks like there is a ton of sightseeing both on the river and lakes.

Where are some good places to go/put in?

From what I am reading my prop will be doing some mowing in Grass Lake. So I will be staying away from there. Is it really that bad on the entire Chain O Lakes area? I do not like to make needless repairs to gelcoat, props, or lower units.

if you do not want to "make needlees repairs" then STAY off the chain....BZ
Old 09-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Lots of strict law enforement..... though probably needed. Pretty dangerous to run hard , too many boats going in all directions, shallow areas, etc.. I prefer to go elsewhere.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:33 PM
Burnin' Love
Gold Member

See if you can come up with a depth map, they do exist, somewhere. Those are probably sand bars you've seen in the pictures. For the most part it a great place to boat. First timers need to be coreful, go only where you see other boats, unless their hatches or outdrives are up.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been on the chain for many years now and the only time I have had any damage is when I ran south of the locks.
i do not go there anymore unless I am in someone elses boat.
As long as you stay in the marked channels, you will be OK.
First couple times up, I would say follow around somether people so you will learn where to go and where NOT to go.
Grass and Nippersink lakes I believe are the shallowest of all but it all comes back to knowing where you can go.
If the river or lakes are crowded and you see an area where there are no boats, this should be a sign. DON"T GO THERE.
Saw a guy yesterday trying to cut into one of the no wake areas from the side coming from Pistakee lake and he got stuck real quick.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:41 PM
VIP Member

I run a 36 footer there with no issues. My best suggestion is that you put some gas in my tank and I will give you a personal guided tour of where to NOT go etc. I have been out here for almost 20 yrs.
Smitty

Last edited by Smitty; 09-25-2007 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bob Zubik
if you do not want to "make needlees repairs" then STAY off the chain....BZ
Hey, I am just here looking for information. Planning for next season.

The photos I have seen, it looks like a fun place to go. Having never been there I know nothing more than that.

Quick Reply: Fox River/Chain O Lakes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.