Notices

Indiana DNR Letter?

Old 11-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'll Be

Originally Posted by obnoxus
Yet another reason to keep it on the trailer at the shop !!!!!
Keeping my little P.O.S for little L O N G E R !
Old 11-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Registered

What a BS law, the excise tax is charge right into our regristration stickers as IN residents.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by candyman35
Looks like they made a new law Looks like it includes trailer boats also.

Vessels that are registered in another state and are operated on Indiana waters for 60 consecutive days or less. Beginning in 2007, out-of-state vessels also must pay the Indiana Boat Excise Tax in order to be exempt

Indiana law requires that vessels that are operated, used, docked, or stored in Indiana pay the Boat Excise Tax.

Vessels subject to excise tax include:
Motorboats registered in Indiana
Sailboats
The amount of boat excise tax paid is:
Based on the value of the vessel when new and is reduced 10% each year up to a 50% reduction of the original amount.
$12.00 for vessels that are stored in Indiana for 60 consecutive days or more in a boating year but not used or docked in Indiana waters.
When you receive your certificate of registration, you also receive two excise tax decals.
Decals include the date of expiration. Only the current decal may be displayed.
The boat excise tax decal is valid for one year. Owners of registered vessels will be sent a renewal notice to their residence automatically.
If you lose or destroy your decals, you must apply to the BMV for duplicates and submit a processing fee.
Dan, to understand the change, all vessels documented thru the coastguard or registered in a particular state and operated/stored/moored/docked etc. for MORE than 60 consecutive days has to be registered in that state, correct? This has pretty much been in place for many years as far as I have known. I registered several of my last several boats in Missouri because it was cheaper than paying 7.25% sales tax in Illinois and once again, I trailered it so it was never in any waters for more than a month or so. I actually kept it a lot on the trailer in Missouri and even some time on a lift on an Illinois lake. Just curious if this still applies like it used to, however, some Illinois owners that leave it on their lift ALL summer long in Hammond/EAst Chicago etc. will have to trailer out some. Hammer
Old 11-10-2008, 11:54 AM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The story I got from my sister is that the Ind. DNR just showed up @ Hammond at the end of the season and got the marina to pull the slip holders that had Il. no.'s and just took a list. She said they never walked the marina just got the list, nothing about the 30-60-90 days in one place deal???? If I remember right they tried this like 4-5 years ago I don't remember anything comeing of it???? I wonder what they got at that point compared to this time???
Old 11-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hammer01
Dan, to understand the change, all vessels documented thru the coastguard or registered in a particular state and operated/stored/moored/docked etc. for MORE than 60 consecutive days has to be registered in that state, correct? This has pretty much been in place for many years as far as I have known. I registered several of my last several boats in Missouri because it was cheaper than paying 7.25% sales tax in Illinois and once again, I trailered it so it was never in any waters for more than a month or so. I actually kept it a lot on the trailer in Missouri and even some time on a lift on an Illinois lake. Just curious if this still applies like it used to, however, some Illinois owners that leave it on their lift ALL summer long in Hammond/EAst Chicago etc. will have to trailer out some. Hammer

I did the same thing when I had my Sonic. The Indiana decal was a little more but not having to pay the Illinois sales tax saved me alot of money. It kept me out of trouble with the law too.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BZ
The story I got from my sister is that the Ind. DNR just showed up @ Hammond at the end of the season and got the marina to pull the slip holders that had Il. no.'s and just took a list. She said they never walked the marina just got the list, nothing about the 30-60-90 days in one place deal???? If I remember right they tried this like 4-5 years ago I don't remember anything comeing of it???? I wonder what they got at that point compared to this time???

I'm betting that you are correct about Hammond giving the information to the DNR. The Marina denies it. They said the DNR ran the numbers on the boat to get our info.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I think this is the last straw...f%&^ Hammond.

There must be a legal recourse...how can a state levy a tax on non-residents?
Old 11-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
I think this is the last straw...f%&^ Hammond.
AMEN !!!!! but I was like that just from the launch ramp BS.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:03 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by candyman35
I'm betting that you are correct about Hammond giving the information to the DNR. The Marina denies it. They said the DNR ran the numbers on the boat to get our info.
Well...if the Marina denies it...they've GOT to be lying...again. In order to see my numbers, the DNR would've had to climb onto my boat, undo the bungee cord and lift up my full cover over the rub rail. Given that they have the typical propensities of laziness exibited by law enforcement officers, I'm guessing somebody just gave them a list.

Seriously...anybody want to buy a 10,000-lb lift?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Registered

Default Damm Big Boy !

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Well...if the Marina denies it...they've GOT to be lying...again. In order to see my numbers, the DNR would've had to climb onto my boat, undo the bungee cord and lift up my full cover over the rub rail. Given that they have the typical propensities of laziness exibited by law enforcement officers, I'm guessing somebody just gave them a list.

Seriously...anybody want to buy a 10,000-lb lift?
Thay got you just a bit ! PISSED OFF !!!!!

Quick Reply: Indiana DNR Letter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.