Old 02-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who's "WE"???? Did "WE" vote on it
Old 02-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by pq man
. because let's face not all of us have the boats capable of handling the conditions of The Big Pond!
pretty safe to say that they are not too concerned about you...
Old 02-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I thought across the pond is the Atlantic Ocean
Old 02-13-2013, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me start off by saying I am not a member. I am an avid boater on the Chain and at times " the big pond". I really enjoy watching/listening to a nice performance boat on the chain. It has become a playground for pontoon boats in recent years and everyone looks forward to seeing some performance boats out there. I have been a part of the River Shiver for several years and the shores and bridges are lined with people, at 46 degrees! I can only imagine the number people that would be out on a nice summer day. The exposure for your club and the performance boat community would be tremendous.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Registered

As a club, we are always looking for new thoughts, ideas, or any suggestions to make the runs even better. We encourage you to join the club and show up to our monthly meetings so we can discuss great topics mentioned in this forum in more detail.

Currently, we have only one run on Lake Michigan, which is the thunder run. all other events are planned around the chain. We try and make sure we keep this a chain based club which is how it originally started.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:09 AM
Registered

when I saw this thread come up I thought I should stay out of it,,, but since we keep talking I keep throwing my 2cents in..I should have just stayed out of it but I think its a good topic so I think its worth discusing.

I joined the club about 8-9 years a go and up until the last meeting I had never missed a meeting,

what I liked about the club was the clubs thinking which was ,,,we know theres other boat clubs out there with alot of members with big fancy boats and thats great,,but we boat on the chain so please feel free to join OUR club and you will feel at home if you have a 25 foot boat or a 18 foot open bow,,so let the other clubs do what they want to do and we will have fun doing what we as a club deside to do on the chain...and that worked for me and I had a blast been a member...

well all thing change and in my opinion so has the clubs thinking,,and again there nothing wrong with that if thats what you like...the attidute about come with any size boat and you can do any run we put together has changed,,
the last two years I did not sign my boat up for the Thunder run I was a passenger on someone boat,,
my 32 foot boat would have been one of the smallest boats on the run,,all you got do is look at the pictures of the boats that did the run on the thread below ,,,Cool very Cool but I dont see too many with Chain stickers,,do you??,,
sure there were a couple of single engine boats out as well as 22-24 open bow as well but getting the $hit kicked out of me or my boat is not what I was thinking when I joined the club....

To me and again this is only my opinion I liked it better when we ALL discussed future events at the meeting and were planed around the NIOC club members,,,the members that attend the meetings and supported the club,,,now the club plans the future events and at least 50% of the boats that do the runs are owned by people that never come to any of the meetings,,chili cook off,,ice breaker party,,Vote,,,,
kind like a once a year event member..and it seems the club likes to cater to that kind of member..

I think we can all agree,,all you have to do is look at the thread under this one,,,theres a thread about the Thunder run for some time in July but yet nothing was posted about anything on the chain until there was a reply on this thread and the loop the lakes was mentioned..

again no disrespect to anybody I know the board members volunteer their time for free,,,but it is what it is...

Last edited by boatnt; 02-14-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:13 AM
VIP Member

The Chain is busy in the summer....sure...that is why I suggested a run in May. Not many of the little "family" boats are out yet so traffic should not be a major issue.

The big pond... I have a 36ft boat , and I don't think I have ever had a day out there where all my passengers were truly comfortable with the conditions. What fun is a run where you have to be holding onto something going 40-60 mph ??? Not what I call fun.

I agree with boatnt for the most part. Although I have not been a member for a long period, I do remember the days when the club did not even go out on Lk. Michigan.

To wrap it up here, All I think everyone wants is 2-3 fun runs on the chain per season, and if the big boys with big boats and big deep pockets want to run out on Lk. Michigan, god bless em'.

I'll take a ride on the Mud puddle anytime...
Old 02-15-2013, 08:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smitty
The Chain is busy in the summer....sure...that is why I suggested a run in May. Not many of the little "family" boats are out yet so traffic should not be a major issue.

The big pond... I have a 36ft boat , and I don't think I have ever had a day out there where all my passengers were truly comfortable with the conditions. What fun is a run where you have to be holding onto something going 40-60 mph ??? Not what I call fun.

I agree with boatnt for the most part. Although I have not been a member for a long period, I do remember the days when the club did not even go out on Lk. Michigan.

To wrap it up here, All I think everyone wants is 2-3 fun runs on the chain per season, and if the big boys with big boats and big deep pockets want to run out on Lk. Michigan, god bless em'.

I'll take a ride on the Mud puddle anytime...
one of the first times the club did a Lake Michigan run was about 3 years ago,,the Wounded Heroes Run,,its was a great event and for a Great cause,,I took my Wounded Soldier and his wife and went all the way down to Navy Pier,,Back up to Milwauke and spent the day having a BLAST!!,,I jumped on the passenger seat and let the Wounded Soldier pretty much take over and He had a Blast and I thought that was the least I could do for him...

The next day Shogrens had their Fun Run so the club stayed and did the run with them,,,that pretty much was the begining of the Club shifting gears and focusing more on the Lake Michigan Thunder Run,,,

Do another run like the Wounded Heroes run and I will be the 1st one there (as I was last time)...as far as the other Lake Michigan runs,,,Unless the weather is perfect il stay on the chain,,,just not worth it to me,,my boat sits on a lift,by the time I get off work,,get trailer,,get boat on trailer,,trailer boat,,put in water,,look fo my slip,,go out for a spin,,find out its rough,,go sit at the bar,,reload boat on trailer and retrace all steps to put back on lift,,,and finish my weekend Sunday afternoon boating on the Chain,,,why not just stay there in the 1st place...

again that just me,,everyone has their own opinion of what fun is...

Last edited by boatnt; 02-15-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

We used to have the Loop the Lakes run in late May. Only five boats would come as many boats were still in storage. Moved the run to the first weekend in June last year and had 20 boats. We have ONE run on Lake Michigan. TWO runs on the chain. We have a lot of new and old members who only boat on Lake Michigan. if you have a 32, 36 or a 38' "offshore boat" you will not have a problem on Lake Michigan. Last two years the water was perfect for the run. We had many boats under 30' there. This is a lot of work for an all volunteer board of directors to make these runs happen. I am very proud of the progress this club has made making the runs safer, larger along with bringing an increase in sponsors and members. Please offer to help or better yet get elected to be on the board next November.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
We used to have the Loop the Lakes run in late May. Only five boats would come as many boats were still in storage. Moved the run to the first weekend in June last year and had 20 boats. We have ONE run on Lake Michigan. TWO runs on the chain. We have a lot of new and old members who only boat on Lake Michigan. if you have a 32, 36 or a 38' "offshore boat" you will not have a problem on Lake Michigan. Last two years the water was perfect for the run. We had many boats under 30' there. This is a lot of work for an all volunteer board of directors to make these runs happen. I am very proud of the progress this club has made making the runs safer, larger along with bringing an increase in sponsors and members. Please offer to help or better yet get elected to be on the board next November.
Well it's funny that we say let's grip an get elected in November ... Their were a lot of members in Key west at the time of the election and if I'm not mistaken ( the board members didn't want to wait to hold a vote until the people that went to kw got back so many people didn't vote.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.