Notices

OL Press release

Old 05-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OL Press release

OUTERLIMITS FOCUSES ON POWERBOAT P1, PASSES ON PICKWICK

After a resounding win over the Fountain Team at last week’s Greer’s Ferry race and upon re-examination of the Offshore Super Series (OSS) schedule and composition, Outerlimits Powerboats has opted not to attend the May 5-6 OSS race in Pickwick, Tennessee. “We simply do not believe that racing against one other boat in our class is in the true competitive spirit of racing,” said Joe Sgro, Outerlimits’ racing partner, “We will decide what other races we may run in the future, but we are not in the hunt for the National Points Championship.”

Mike Fiore, founder and president of Outerlimits, decided earlier this year to field a team in the European Powerboat P1 circuit, a sizable commitment which included altering the canopy of the new SV-40, the 2006 OSS Vee National and World Champion, to suit the European specifications. With Mercury Racing as a sponsor and utilizing its new 662 SCi engines, approved for emissions compliance in Europe, Outerlimits has located its race boat, support vehicles and a race shop near Manheim, Germany.

Fiore then built a new SV-40 with two passenger seats for the OSS circuit so it could be a prototype for a new Poker Run model. “Toward the end of creating a new saleable model, the investment in U.S. racing was worthwhile,” Fiore states, “But with the continued division of the various sanctioning bodies, the truly competitive field we anticipated did not materialize. We see little reason to continue our U.S. participation--we’re not out to race one boat or manufacturer.”

Outerlimits will review other races on the OSS schedule, but for the foreseeable future, Fiore and Sgro will focus on the rigors of the Powerboat P1 circuit that includes a two-day event with two classes, Evolution Class for prototypes, where Outerlimits will race, and SuperSport Class for production models. The first day is an endurance race while the second is a sprint-style ”rally” race with tight turns on a designated course. Points are awarded each day and averaged for the event win. While the field is comprised of a variety of manufacturers, including American brands, Outerlimits is the only U.S. manufacturer sponsoring a Powerboat P1 race team. All races are held in prime oceanfront locations throughout Europe, starting in Malta, then Naples, Italy, Travemunde, Germany, Cowes, UK, Zeebrugee, Belgium and Portimao, Portugal. The estimated live audience for the 2006 season was over 280,000 spectators at the festival-like race sites. A UK-based television production company, Greenlight, will air the races in 70 countries; satellite feeds will be available in the U.S.

“We feel it makes more sense to focus our racing effort where it will be truly appreciated, seen by a larger audience and open new markets for us,” said Fiore, “We’re a competitive group and we’re ready to go racing!”
Old 05-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't say I blame them. I wish them the best of luck!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:13 PM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Hate to read this.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

As a fan very disappointing

Last edited by Bullhead; 05-02-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Very understandable..I myself appreciate your honesty..Good Luck overseas and be safe ...You will truly be missed...

Two Great and talented competitors....
Old 05-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Registered

That is Weak and a resounding win is funny.
I really can't believe Michael is quitting but I guess I should. I have lost all respect for him and Outerlimits when It comes to racing. Stick to Poker Runs. Guess we should of all quit when Todd brought out the first Skater in SV Limited and kicked all our buts or when Scott Conrad came out with the first #6 SV Skater in OSS and kicked everyone's but. No we all worked harder and got faster.
I don't care anymore I'm selling my boat and racing SCL. Too many babies in SV.
I wish they would of made the announcement earlier so I could have raced home in Ft. Lauderdale.
Brett
Old 05-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well I guess someone will have a nice new OL poker run boat. I also guess that all the PR guys will out that boat seeing how they all complain that "race boats" are showing up at PR. Can someone please explain to me what is the difference between a canopied PR boat and a canopied Race Boat. I think most of the canopied PR boats belong to OL so they should have plenty of test time on canopied boats.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Registered

How is that 51 Planetman poker run Outerlimits running with 3200hp?
Sterlings boost
Customers come first???
Old 05-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

PRETTY AMAZING THESE RELEASES WERE TWO DAYS APART........

OUTERLIMITS BRINGS BACK THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM
MIKE FIORE AND BOB RUSSELL TO RACE IN MALTA

As Outerlimits Powerboats fields two offshore racing teams, one in the U.S. with the Offshore Super Series (OSS) and one in Europe with Powerboat P1, scheduling became an unavoidable issue. With Joe Sgro and new driver John Makepeace, manning the new SV40 at the Lake Pickwick OSS race on May 5-6, Outerlimits selected Bob Russell to take the helm with Mike Fiore at throttles in the first Powerboat P1 race in Malta.

“We are fortunate to have two top-rate racers on our team,” says Fiore, “I am proud and happy to be in the boat with either Joe or Bob on any given day!” This race brings APBA PX Champions Russell and Fiore together again, after they won their second APBA PX Class World Champion, in 2002 in an Outerlimits 42 GTX. This year, the duo will race the SV40, the 2006 National and World Championship OSS Vee boat, which was modified to meet the Powerboat P1 specs. The canopy was cut to maintain the recreational standards for the European circuit, while the newly built OSS race boat maintains full canopy construction.

“We are very enthused about our first race with Powerboat P1!” exclaims Fiore, “We put a lot of time, money and effort into fielding this team, against a lot of heavy competition, so we are very happy to have some ‘big guns’ to bring to the races. Both Joe and Bob have a lot of racing experience and we are lucky to have their flexibility to meet these rigorous schedules.”

Russell is a long-time Outerlimits customer and friend and has owned every model of Outerlimits Powerboats built. His boat racing experience follows years in motorcross and flat track racing and in addition to the two World Championship titles he won with Fiore in 2001 and 2002, Russell won the King of the Hudson speed run at the New York City Poker run in an Outerlimits 42 Legacy and also earned the Lake Of the Ozarks Shoot Out title for Fastest Vee Bottom in his Outerlimits 42 GTX. In this same boat, he also set the APRA 2003 World Kilo Record for a Vee Bottom in Washington North Carolina at 147.61 mph and earned status in the Poker Runs America Hall of Fame.

The Powerboat P1 schedule begins in the historical Mediterranean port city of Valetta, Malta, then, moves to Naples, Italy, May 26-27. The team next travels to Travemunde, Germany, June 30-July 1, then to Cowes, in the UK, August 25-26. Next on the schedule is Zebrugge, Belgium, September 8-9, and Portimao, Portugal, September 29-30.

Outerlimits will receive satellite TV feeds from the races and plans to host video on its website following the races. A UK production company, Greenlight TV will air the races in over 70 countries worldwide. “We look forward to showcasing our boats to the European audience, who truly appreciates powerboat racing,” says Fiore, “It’s going to be a busy season!”
Old 05-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Registered

Ryan,
you know why they aren't showing up.
I guess we shouldn't of let them win one.
It's funny after Reggie Senior saw the race in Biloxi he told me Michael would quit because he didn't have a chance and his race boat was a slug.
I guess the old man was right!!!
Brett

Quick Reply: OL Press release

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.