Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > Offshore Super Series (OSS)
Orange Beach, Thunder On The Gulf Races Canceled >

Orange Beach, Thunder On The Gulf Races Canceled

Notices

Orange Beach, Thunder On The Gulf Races Canceled

Old 03-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daredevil
I have to chime in ,,,right here !!!!!
People need to get rit of theyr EGO's
Scott

Scott.........you first !!!!!!!!

PD
Old 03-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wazzup Racing
Lets not get all over Gary here, without the facts.
I know Gary a long time, so If we talk, it is only because we supported his very first race.
Our conversation this year was not to take over an OSS event. His question was could we support it. I explained the fact that our schedule is full. The conversation swung to changing the date of the race. I also made Ron aware of this conversation the last time we spoke. I then called John of SBI to see if he had an interest in going as well.
He did show an interest, however the same problem for SBI was their schedule is also full.
This race for next year should be held before the prime season in Orange Beach. April or May, when the teams in the north are sitting waiting for the weather to break. Once the summer season arrives in the north, we have plenty of great race sites up here, so there is no reason to head south. Remember we're just a regional series. Just my 2 cents. Smitty

I agree Smitty....we as racers have push all Orgs to put out there schedule in Jan so the teams can make arrangments....and have a set schedule....the one thing about OPA...is once the end of May hits...its balls to the wall....almost racing every other week....the one thing I have notice about OPA it they are keeping the same race sites year after year to build a foundation....it grows on the community as a yearly event that they all look foward to...for the fans and the town....if the town thinks its worth the investment, they will invite us back with the sponsorships....Its kinda like SBI....John C dose not have a lot of boats.....but he has some race sites that he gets invited back to year after year liKe Miami, Sarasota, Marathon, New York, Key West....It makes you wonder....he must be doing something right....he shows up with 10 to 15 boats....and they want him back.....Gary....I hope the races are brought back soon to O/B.....
Old 03-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Registered

I am just a fan of offshore racing and having never missed a race at OB ,the races have been in decline for sometime. This did not happen overnight. Last year was the worst and me and friends , family were not going to OB even if they had a race. People want to say it is because of the economy. Baloney !! It is because the lack of boats in the water. Give the people a decent show and they will return. just my 2cents
Old 03-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by heater63
Smitty,Polli,Please! make this happen.Can you imagine as many as 80-90 boats at one race site.WOW History in the making.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:08 AM
VIP Member

Hi Mike
Old 03-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wazzup Racing
Hi Mike
Smitty! Hey man. How are things? From reading this and other threads it appears that OPA is doing well. Good for you guys. I saw the 80-90 boats "history in the making" comment and could not resist. Amazing how 6 years ago we were doing that every race and now if it happened once it would be considered "historic". Sad, really.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mike A.
I saw the 80-90 boats "history in the making" comment and could not resist.
You had to speak up on that comment.

Times have changed, but some things have remained the same.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
You had to speak up on that comment.

...but some things have remained the same.

Yep, I noticed that as well.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:33 PM
VIP Member

Smitty! Hey man. How are things? From reading this and other threads it appears that OPA is doing well. Good for you guys. I saw the 80-90 boats "history in the making" comment and could not resist. Amazing how 6 years ago we were doing that every race and now if it happened once it would be considered "historic". Sad, really.
Things are good. OPA is moving along well, It actually has become fairly easy. I dont know about the History thing, but the future is bright. Hope to see you at one of our races one day. That would be cool. Smitty
Old 03-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Registered

Yep, I noticed that as well.
Hey Mike , I suppose you heard I ended up swimming with Christine too. LOL

Seems like a long time ago now.

Quick Reply: Orange Beach, Thunder On The Gulf Races Canceled

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.