Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Offshore Super Series (OSS) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/offshore-super-series-oss-192/)
-   -   500EFI,525EFI and Vortec rules? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/offshore-super-series-oss/38779-500efi-525efi-vortec-rules.html)

TYPHOON 12-12-2002 01:27 PM

500EFI,525EFI and Vortec rules?

What is the latest on the rules with the differant power plants in Factory racing?Do they have a dead line on when they will tell us?Will it be subject to change during the season?Is this an exparament year for Factory?

I like new products but this realy tough to make rules to.How close are the 525EFI's to the Vortec? Are the dyno HP and tourque numbers the same?

Any word that Merc. might start a lease program?

Lots of questions with no answers.The first race seem's far away but it will be here before you have time to set up the boat before the season.Lots of big $$ dissions.
Randy

PS anyone want to buy my boat?I might sell it if someone buy's it quick so I have time to rebuild for next year

audacity 12-12-2002 11:48 PM

Randy... I HEAR ya MAN!...we built our F2 boat based on the 2003 rules...the weight is the largest factor/hold up in our testing right now...we leave next week for FL and still no added weight ruling for the Vortecs or Mercs. Vortec was not an option or a GO at the time we droped the engines in (friday prior to worlds)...from what I gather....both the Mercs and the Vortecs can be TOTALLY calibrated to have the EXACT curves. I wish we would have had the option in engines but....Oh-well....all things the same we would not have been testing for 2003 in November 2002, that's for sure.

I did not like the choice on changing engines again in the class...personally it was great for us...for the sport questionable (my .02)at that time.....BUT NOW that Vortec is in the same class as Merc.....Those companies WILL demand that both companies engines are as equal as possible. Were the 500 hp's?...NOT with out extensive investigation!..The 500 EFI's a little better with seals and other characteristics of a EFI engine ...the 525hp and being SFI? ....we have an on board computer that tells us what's up in a lot of areas...Now have a tech person plug in a lap top and they can tell how many mins you were at wot and what rpm...honestly, it removes the thoughts of..."humm, I wonder what he's done?"

Randy, would love to cya in F2 next year!

TYPHOON 12-13-2002 05:38 PM

If they can controll the HP and tourque in the comp. why not lower it to the same as the 500EFI? Make it more durable.
Randy

audacity 12-13-2002 09:37 PM

Randy this is ONLY MY OPINION....

You have a GREAT point...but I (I) think that Merc is taking the known, proven, and reliable 500 EFI power plant; adding reliable horse power and compromising nothing with complimenting technology. The up-charge from the 500EFI to the 525 is no where near what the 575 is compared to the 500EFI.

Randy I know your question/thought is from a racers point of view...and I had the very same question as well, only my thought was to make #6 the drive to use in F2...WAY cheaper over a season than bravos. For the most part EVERYONE that starts the race will finish the race without mechanical complications....AND the added bonus would be all the teams that begin the year can complete the season with very low mechanical complications. Thus, preventing not finishing the season due to financial constraints.

Randy...you did a great job this year not only standing on the podium every race but your over all presence at the races!!! if your racing F1 next year, please let us know if we can help in anyway. if your coming to F2....be sure to always check that drain plug!!!:D

Hauling Trash 12-14-2002 08:05 AM

It`s for sale ???????

Flashwave 12-14-2002 09:41 AM

Randy,

You guys are already too fast. What the hell are you going to do with more horse power? See what I mean.

Ha.

Jim

http://www.f148.com/images/mk45shot11b.jpg

TYPHOON 12-14-2002 10:25 AM

Is that like being shot out of a canon? Jim you have to much time.
Randy

TYPHOON 12-17-2002 06:09 PM

What kind of kilo records with these new motors? Or will these be all new.
Randy

AugiePensa 12-17-2002 06:58 PM

Hey Randy,Go to www.njsportpics.com,then Jersey Boyz Poster,hope you and Glen enjoy. Augie......See you Saturday!

Mag27 12-18-2002 08:16 AM

Guys Seen a flyer sent out by mercury yesterday that said somthing to the effect that if you was to use the gm engine they wouldnt warranty the drive train.Might be worth checking out.