Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Offshoreonly Industry News (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/offshoreonly-industry-news-100/)
-   -   Budweiser Select Offshore Team Finishes Second at World Championships (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/offshoreonly-industry-news/145336-budweiser-select-offshore-team-finishes-second-world-championships.html)

eWebtricity 11-17-2006 03:37 PM

Budweiser Select Offshore Team Finishes Second at World Championships

Race Facts:
• Budweiser Select Team finishes a successful 2006 season with seven
wins, a national title and second place at the world championships
• More than 70 boats competed in Destin
• First time an OSS sanctioned event has been held on the Emerald Coast
• Top speed – 165 MPH
• Competed in the OSS Extreme Class
• Had engine trouble early in the week, leaving the crew working
hard to ready the boat for competition on Sunday
• Took an early lead in Sunday’s race, on pace to win it all, but trouble
with the ignition switch after the third lap gave way to a second place finish

Quotes:
Dave Scott – Owner/Driver – Budweiser Select 44’ Extreme Boat

“It is what it is, but over all I can’t complain. I obviously wanted the world title, but before we had the
engine trouble today, it was shaping up to be the best run Johnny and I have ever had together. No one
could corner with us today.”

“We were one step shy on gearing, so on the first straightaway, Team CRC caught back up with us. They
tried to come in, but Johnny stayed in the throttles and then we were gone. I knew we would tear it up on
the backside and in the corners.”

“We hit some lapped traffic and it could have been really bad. We were coming in into a turn and
Johnny was in the throttles, but the boat in front of us wasn’t checking their mirrors. I’m sure they never
looked and we were already committed on the inside. I kept moving over until I was actually lined up
with the pin. They were coming down on us, but Johnny wasn’t lifting, so I was just thinking, ‘Here we go
– lets see what happens.’ That just goes to show how important it is to check your mirrors and check
them often. We could have reached out and touched them they were so close – they were 6 - 8 feet away
at the most.”

“We need engines that can stay with us because everything else was dialed in. It was definitely the best
race Johnny and I have ever run together. I think every time we get together in a race, we get better and
better. It’s amazing – and I’m sure he’ll agree with that comment. It doesn’t get any better than that.”
Career Team Stats:
• Wins 54
• National Championship Titles 8
• World Championship Titles 7
• Top Gun Titles 5
• Official Offshore Speed Records 6

Other Pertinent Information:
• OSS (Offshore Super Series) – In December of 2003, a group of offshore race boat owners
announced the formation of the Offshore Super Series Powerboat Racing Association, a not for
profit organization dedicated to the development and growth of offshore powerboat racing.

Powerboat racing has long been recognized as a beneficial advertising medium for sponsors and
provides significant economic impact for the business communities that host the events. The
objectives of events are to further the image and professionalism of offshore racing and to provide
quality venues in which spectators, sponsors, producers and the racers can all benefit through the
growth of this exciting sport.

Race Boat Facts:
Name Budweiser Select
Make MTI
Width 11 foot
Race Weight 11,000 lbs
Length 44 foot
Fuel Capacity 300 gallons
Fuel 116 Octane
Gallons Per Mile 2 mpg
Power Supercharged Twin Sterling 1500 bhp
Surface Drives Tri-Max