Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Offshoreonly Industry News
Outerlimits Powerboats, Nigel Hook and Lucas Oil Team Up for Powerboat P1 Racing >

Outerlimits Powerboats, Nigel Hook and Lucas Oil Team Up for Powerboat P1 Racing

Notices

Outerlimits Powerboats, Nigel Hook and Lucas Oil Team Up for Powerboat P1 Racing

Old 05-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outerlimits Powerboats, Nigel Hook and Lucas Oil Team Up for Powerboat P1 Racing

Outerlimits Offshore Racing Team is on its way to Naples, Italy for the second race of the Powerboat P1 series, so the attached news is quite timely and exciting! I have just started a blog to keep you all informed of the racing developments from Europe, so check in to see what's new at www.blogspot.com
and search for Outerlimits Offshore Racing. We'll keep you posted on all the developments.

Mike Fiore, president and owner of Outerlimits Powerboats, proudly announces his Offshore Racing Team’s newest additions--a respected American motorsports sponsor, Lucas Oil and a veteran American offshore racer--with a British accent--Nigel Hook. The teams jelled as Hook searched for the winning situation to continue his on-going, 7-year sponsorship with Lucas Oil. He had explored the European Powerboat P1 circuit and was impressed by the professionalism, television visibility and competition in the organization, but struggled to assemble the right team. “Racing in Powerboat P1 is a big commitment, so it only makes sense to do it with the best team, boat and support possible,” Hook states, “With Outerlimits, there was no second choice—it is by far the best combination. I am honored and excited to join the team and to bring the Lucas Oil sponsorship to the deal.”

Since Outerlimits is new to the circuit, just making its debut in the season opener in Malta earlier in the month, the time was ideal to expand its team and its race set up. “As the only American manufacturer-sponsored team in Powerboat P1, we were looking for a sponsor to help with the tremendous expense of fielding a team in Europe,” says Fiore, “With Nigel, we gain a World-Champion driver, as well as a world-renown motorsports sponsor—it was a win-win for everyone!”

While Hook will share the driver seat with fellow championship racer, Joe Sgro, his specialty is the endurance racing that Powerboat P1 features as one day in its two-day, two-race format, the other being a multi-lap sprint race. “Since I started racing in England in 1974, I have a great deal of experience in the rough waters of Europe and know that the Outerlimits SV-40 hull is well-suited for that,” Hook states.

For Lucas Oil, the European circuit fits its growth trends and with an office in Northern Italy and one in Wales, the television coverage in over 70 countries, overseas is a plus. Given its heavy sponsorship in NHRA, stock car and other motorsports, the company already has a strong presence on the SPEED Channel, where Powerboat P1 will air its racing coverage in November. Lucas Oil also plans to display models of its sponsored teams in the Indianapolis stadium, to which it recently purchased sponsorship rights. So, Colts fans may get the chance to see a Lucas Oil Outerlimits Powerboat at a future NFL game.

Hook will reunite with many former European competitors in Powerboat P1. His impressive racing resume includes induction into the APBA Hall of Champions in 1998, APBA/UIM World Championships in 1998 and 2006, World Speed Records in APBA/UIM events in 1993, 2000 and 2003, and three APBA National Championships in 1994, 1997 and 1998. He also took the APBA Pacific Offshore Championship nine times from 1989-2001.

“I’m very proud of my English ancestry, but also proud to be an American citizen, racing on the only American team in Europe!” Hook laughs while Fiore adds, “We couldn’t be happier with our race plans. We are truly bi-continental now!” The team travels to Naples, Italy for races May 26-27.