Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Offshoreonly Industry News (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/offshoreonly-industry-news-100/)
-   -   Boating Under the Influence (BUI)...It's Serious! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/offshoreonly-industry-news/170452-boating-under-influence-bui-its-serious.html)

OSO News 10-05-2007 03:02 PM

Boating Under the Influence (BUI)...It's Serious!

Boating Under the Influence (BUI)... it's serious!

The Penalties.
Every boater needs to understand the risks of boating under the influence of alcohol or drugs (BUI). It is illegal to operate a boat while under the influence of alcohol or drugs in every state. The Coast Guard also enforces a federal law that prohibits BUI. This law pertains to ALL boats (from john boats to the largest ships) - and includes foreign vessels that operate in U.S. waters, as well as U.S. vessels on the high seas.

The Perils
According to the U.S.Coast Guard,alcohol is a major factor in as much as 50% of all recreational boating fatalities. The Coast Guard says a boater with a blood alcohol concentration above .10%--the legal threshold in 38 states--is ten times more likely to be killed in a boating accident than a boater with zero BAC. No matter what activity, alcohol affects balance, vision, coordination and judgement. But in boating, a combination of wind, sun, noise, motion and vibration can magnify the effects of alcohol and even accelerate impairment.

The Pain.
Losing a loved one, especially in a situation that seems preventable like BUI, is a devastating experience. Coping with this trauma is much worse than boating soberly! Boating, fishing and other water sports on your Latitude Powerboat are always fun. Alcohol can turn a great day on the water into the tragedy of a lifetime. Do not become another statistic. Don't forget that a boat is a vehicle - and safe operation is a legal and personal responsibility!

The dangers are not limited to the water!

WARNING! This weekends Columbus Day Regatta revelers take heed to this newsletter and while you are out partying on the bay, don't get caught DUI!

We at Team Latitude cannot stress enough the importance of not Boating Under the Influence. We also have no doubt that our Latitude Family will recognize this paramount safe boating philosophy and practice it whenever enjoying our greatest natural resource, the waterways of America.
Team Latitude
Latitude Powerboats
305-758-BOAT(2628)
www.latitudepowerboats.com

Wally 10-05-2007 03:09 PM

I dont think much will change as far as BUI goes until states start hitting people like a DUI with the threat of loosing your drivers license or points etc...going against you. Then people will look at drinking while boating differently. Since i dont drink i would welcome such enforcement to make the waters safer... :)