Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   OPA/The Jersey Boyz (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/opa-jersey-boyz-193/)
-   -   OPA And Key West (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/opa-jersey-boyz/166735-opa-key-west.html)

scottc 08-21-2007 11:00 AM

OPA And Key West

Would like to if OPA will be in KW. If we race there, how would we rate? Would that make us World Champs if we win?
What are the fees for there or are our costs from OPA be good.

BRUCE SEROFF 08-21-2007 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by scottc (Post 2242348)
Would like to know what part OPA will be in KW. If we race there, how would we rate?
What are the fees for there or are our costs from OPA be good.

SAY WHAT ????

2 Trick Rick 08-21-2007 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by scottc (Post 2242348)
Would like to know what part OPA will be in KW.

Any and all races would be welcome

If we race there, how would we rate?

I would think the OPA boys would fair very well, very well indeed!

What are the fees for there or are our costs from OPA be good.?

Your OPA Fee's would not apply, you would need to sign up with the SBI and pay their fees. I would say get ready to dish out an extra 1500K to race, plus travel and hotels.
~ And for that you get the privilege of racing 1 or 2 boats in your class and calling yourself World Champ.

You have to wonder what make a World Champion? The Competition or the event location?

:signs069:

scottc 08-21-2007 01:03 PM

Thanks. I wish the whole offshore raceing thing would get it straight. It's a shame to split all the orgs like this.
Haggin, you have a tough fight on your hands but I know lots of teams behind you.

UNITED WE RACE but not in KW............lol

fantastixvoyage 08-21-2007 01:11 PM

Ya, this has been a bit hush lately but with worlds in just a couple months I'd be interested to know what teams are going where. I've got accomodations for KYW just in case but I'm thinking Destin is gonna be the OPA spot of choice.

What's everyone's thoughts on this???

Racegirl3 08-21-2007 01:14 PM

For some of us, Chattanooga will be the last race and then we will be in KW ... boatless .. maybe ... :D

KenD 08-21-2007 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by 2 trick rick
~ And for that you get the privilege of racing 1 or 2 boats in your class and calling yourself World Champ.

You have to wonder what make a World Champion? The Competition or the event location?

Don't you mean:
If you win...you get the privilege if being recognized by UIM the international powerboat racing authority as World Champion
What makes a World Champion...it is neither the competition or the location...it is the authority that bestowes the Title.

In order to be recognized as a UIM Offshore World Champion...you have to be a member of a UIM recognized sanctioning body. In the U.S., that means you have to be a member of APBA Offshore category. In order to be a member of APBA Offshore, you have to be a member of SBI.

You can discuss the whys and why-nots of going to Key West all you want. The bottom line is, if you want to be a World Champion, you know where you have to go, and what you have to do.

That's the way it is...united...or not...the opportunity is open to everyone. The decision a Team makes is up to them.

BRUCE SEROFF 08-21-2007 02:07 PM

For Me...the title "world champion" means jack until we all race together. I could care less about the title. I just want to be on the race course with 10 + boats in my class. Then, if I win, I know I've earned it. Its all about the competition. We all know that many teams hold an empty title. No one respects an empty title. But they will remember when you earned a race against a fleet of highly competitive teams.

I think, with most teams , it boils down to how much fun they can have for the least amount of money.

Hands down Key West is the mack daddy of race sites. However, I dont see them spending that kind of money for a week of racing.

I dont know if Destin has been discussed yet. But I can assure you, they are putting together a great week of activities.

No entry fees and a nice purse helps too.

F1-00 Racing 08-21-2007 02:37 PM

Simply it boils down (this is based on posts and conversations) that JC is waiting on a call from Smitty and Smitty is waiting on a call from JC. Hopefully they will get on the same page quickly, but I can assure you that both of them will do what is best for their individual organizations.

Cant wait to finally race with you guys in Chat, dont know where I exactly fit in class wise but I am sure Smitty will place me apropriately(sp). Hope everything works out for the best and to race with ya'll again in KW, but like I said above its a hurry up and wait situation. Have fun and be safe in LI, NJ, and MD.

Trent

Rick,
Last year with OPA in Destin KW did have plenty of competition in the slower Sportsman classes, P1- 3 boats;P2- 4 boats;P3- 4 boats;P4- 8 boats; and P5- 6 boats. OPA would only make it better, but once again its up to the power that be

F1-00 Racing 08-21-2007 02:48 PM

Bruce,

Cooper put together a heck of a pkg for OB and how many open boats showed? 1 as far as I could see(one of the typhoons) With the economy the way it is today people arent going to travel. I really wanted to go if it werent for the huge amount of damage to our boat and myself after Dania.

Ok 25,000 purse and no entry didnt work, do you have any options/suggestions? What will it take to get you back on a race course this year?